Sign in to follow this  
Kierkegaard

Dynamic Map Making - Cartography

Hi Ya'll

Not sure if this has been suggested before but I would like to suggest a new profession or feature to Wurm Online, dynamic map making (not a unique idea). The idea would be that an individual could create a small paper map that represents 1 single map tile, say N17. The paper map would get updated as the person journeys and travels within the N17 tile and would be based on view distance. As the person walks around the local area, the map would become more detailed showing the houses, roads and landscape. Locations far away within N17 would be less detailed until the person walks over. The single map tile could be duplicated, a copy feature, and traded to other individuals and joined together to create a huge detailed world map. Map makers all over the continent could trade, copy, maps with each other.

The map could have restrictions where only if you have a higher map making skill then the original map maker could you update the map. If the map was made by a level 65 then only a level 65+ could add more detail to the map. This is to create an incentive for the map making skill and creates value for higher quality maps. The maps would then need to be updated by map makers as the landscape and towns evolve. This helps keep the profession "alive". Make mappers could add unique logos, lore history, town names, road names, and other map symbols to spice the map up. "Old maps" could have some historic value as they have updates/information that can no longer be created because of the landscape changes.

Maps could be turned into villages to update a global map outside of the video game. This could be linked to wurmonline.com/maps or something. That way the community has an influence on updating the maps instead of devs creating a map (ruining the immersion).

Edited by Kierkegaard
update title to cartography for future google searches
  • Like 2

Suggestions for a cartography skill -- we can always use more suugestions on it though! The more often it is suggested, the better the chances of getting it ingame!

Plus new details and specific  game mechanics help give others good ideas like these!

And ... welcome to the forums! Always good to see new faces here!

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Only if I can have a decoration of a map to put up against the wall too!

Interesting idea for sure though in all seriousness. Wouldn't mind seeing this added into the game instead of needing to alt-tab to look at the community map, could just have an ingame variant!

• Like 1

I could go on with more links but I am too busy to sift through the forums for all of them.

Dynamic maps, cartography skill/map making has been suggested over the years in hundreds of replies by now. I am guessing it has something to do with the devs being wary of an internal player GPS ( compass and active map location) being used for nefarious purposes in pvp to locate players to the dot. Which is pointless anyway since in the past there have been incidents with 3rd party tools used to locate people actively on the map.

Can simply disable that stuff on pvp and enable it on pve only.

+1 Anyway, for the umpteenth time from my part. I would love to have my own maps or a map room in my house, maybe in my library.

• Like 2