Sign in to follow this  
Arsat

How petrespawn works in WO ?

Hi

My english isnt very good. I give google translater a chance *smile* (and .. a female dog isnt a ###### dear google 😛 )

My problem is I love pets. In WO there is a limited selection to choose from (Ultima online or Star wars Galaxies was much better), and the even bigger problem is that we live on Harmony in the very south on the big island. Just circling around completely takes a good 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
In the beginning there were lots of animals and monsters, but the more land was claimed and the more corpses lay around (it seems to me), the fewer animals there were.

I finally found a dog today after about 25 hours of searching. Still I'm looking for a rooster, a sow and a couple of chickens and a male dog now.
I know two places where rooster spawn ... unfortunately I only ever find the bodies there (and then bury them too), the chickens are in a claimed land and in the steppe there are some pig corpses and a male pig ...

As I said, I had to look for a dog for about 25 hours. No rooster there, not enough pigs and chickens and I saw a deer for the first time today ... Oh yes and I once saw a rat from a distance ... that's it. Brown bears are now extremely rare too...

For someone who loves pets and has to take care of inbreeding anyway and always needs fresh blood ... an impossible condition ...

Oh yes, who thinks now, but the others will be ... nope ... I have never seen a dog in other land/fences, once a hen, rarely pigs, never deer or pheasants.

So my question is that all or the respawn becomes better ? and how fast spawn new pets ?

And no ist not only random... I know two spawns with roosters... so it cant be only random as everyone online always says.

and why not more pets ? When i see the Ultima Online list it makes me jealous :( https://www.uoguide.com/Tameable_Pets

Edited by Arsat

Most of the following animals can be made into pets:  https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Creatures#Animals_Table

Unfortunately pets in WO were nerfed some years back, because on PVP people would tame Champion Crocodiles and Champion Trolls and the like and sic them on other players. So now whenever an animal is tamed, it is much weaker than it was when it was wild. this means you have to be careful NOT to take your tamed dog or wolf or bear out to fight with you on adventures, because they will die really easily.

You can tame animals as part of Animal Taming, or use the Charm" spell if you are a Fo priest. Magranon priests can "dominate" monsters like trolls or scorpions. So almost every creature you see in Wurm, can be a pet, but pets are not very useful any more. 

Unfortunately, a lot of dogs (and wildcats) get killed very fast by other players who are hoping to get a good pelt to use in crafting. But you can also tame wolves and bears and even unicorns, they are just a little more dangerous!

I used to raise Champion dogs and champion deer, very large! But I am not sure whether they even spawn in the wild anymore in wurm. 

Every now and then, people make suggestion threads to make pets more useful and fun:

You might add your own suggestions to those threads!

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

On the other servers, domestic animals like dogs, roosters, spawn enough and you can find. I assume it will be the same on new servers.

Right now, in the first days, I think people hunt them for every bit of new player Fighting skill and weapon skill, or take home any animal they can groom for Animal Husbandry skill. It will calm down, and most will be found.

Edited by Anarres

And just in case you weren't aware, in Wurm Online roosters are totally unnecessary in raising chickens.  Your hens will lay eggs, with a small percent of those fertile, without a rooster ever being in the pen with them.

So if you can get a hen,  with alot of patience you can form a flock of chickens from just the one hen!

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 1

Thx a lot for all this infos... a lot of them is very helpful.

I thought WO is on the same level like UO or SWG with pets, but it isnt :(

But i worked much often as established tester too and for me is the mechanic behind the game interesting too

So spawn pets on claimed land ? I never seen that.

What timer have the spawns ? Once a day or more ?

When more corpses are on ground and no one bury it, affects that the spawnrate/respawn too ? When i see the new pets in some areas i must say yes...

Edited by Arsat

Generally (let's call them 'mobs') don't spawn on deeded settlement lands.  It's happened, but it's not usual.  They can spawn on perimeters and often do, and even a small amount of space that's not deeded can have an animal spawn on it.

Also, for the chicken hen, what you do is check the egg and if it's fertile, you drop it on a grass tile (or steppe, farm tile) where you want it to hatch and it'll decay and if the random odds are in your favor it'll hatch out to a chick.  Not that the success odds for this happening are very low, like < 10%, so thus the call for patience. The other way of ranging chickens is using a Chicken coop
 which has slightly different mechanics and is a newer addition to the game.

Just keep in mind the 'animal taming' mechanic only allows you to have one true 'pet' at a time.  The untamed animals can easily be kept in pens or fenced pastures for you to enjoy having, though.  For a deeded settlement, you'll need to keep aware of the tile / animal ratio. 15:1 is the lowest ratio to keep your animals in your settlement healthy and alot less likely to become diseased.  If you're living on undeeded land, you won't have that added protection but it's still possible to do.

Factors about animals respawning are that each server has a certain count of aggressive creatures, and a count of non-hostile creatures.  That affects when they'll spawn and what types will spawn.  Less surviving on the server means they'll have a greater chance to spawn, and spawns don't occur just at specific maintenance times from what I know of how it works.  And yes, they'll spawn more in areas where there are less settlements.  I don't know any of the game mechanics numbers, though.

thx for all the infos, but i see a much bigger problem in this game ...

Is it true when i have an tamed bear and i must tame an outher mob my own bear will be aggro again and runs around aggro in my town ?

Sometimes you must run next to water (location, aggro mobs) and so a rope can torn. When this happend on foreign claimed land the mob i will bring home is gone. So its better you tame it.

But when i tame it my bear at home in fence will be aggro and kills my pets and attack village member or the guard kills the bear .... is that true ?

Edited by Arsat

11 minutes ago, Arsat said:

Is it true when i tame a bear and i must tame an outher mob my own bear will be aggro again and runs around aggro in my town ?

But when i tame it and my bear at home in fence will be aggro and kills my pets and attack village member .... is that true ?

Yes this is true. You should keep separate pens for pets like bears, so if they go untame they will not kill anything (or anyone)  else. Otherwise you could be jeopardizing friends and livestock. Be aware also if you are in a deed with a spirit templar, the guard might kill the bear when it goes untamed, unless deed settings are such that they do not attack aggressive animals.  For this reason, many people keep potentially aggressive pets in an offdeed pen, perhaps in the perimeter of the village.

Many people keep "zoos", its just a matter of figuring out how the game mechanics work. A separate pen for EACH potentially aggressive animal is a start. It's not so much "a problem in this game," so much as this game is NOT as focused on "pets" as something like Star Wars Galavy maybe was. It's a very low priority here, and mostly meant as a way to transport an animal by rope, or in some cases to equip it with gear. It is intended to be QUITE temporary. So you cannot hope it will be the same as other games with well defined pet systems. Pets have a very minor and underutilized role here in Wurm.

Perhaps you can help convince the devs to start changing that, but also be aware of past issues with overpowered pets in PVP play, because they won;t want to repeat their errors there.

A lot of players would like to see a higher utilization of pets.

WTF ? What a stupic logic bug... all here ingame will be realistic and a TAMED ! Pet will be aggro again when i am 20 km away and i must pet an outher mob ?

How stupid is this ? 14 Years WO and no one sayed the devs this system is stupid ?

In RL a tamed, before aggro, pet dont will be back aggro without reason...

So the aggro pets are nerfed and you can only have an aggro pet or a lot of passive mobs (with an spirit guard)

I really must say have fun with my 12 Euro and  f.. you with this stupid system

You are only allowed ONE pet at a time.

If you choose to tame a second pet, you will lose the taming on the first one. You can keep aggro pets in separate pens so they do not harm others. 

This is not really a "pet collection " game. Animals yes, pets no. Though it is possible to collect a wide assortment of aggressive animals in a pretty sophisticated zoo-type setting. 

But not a gang of pets tagging along with you as you journey throughout the game world, like pokemon. You can raise and breed animals, and sell animals to other players, but you can only have one tamed pet at a time. If you collect other animals in the wild it's usually best not to tame them to get them home (unless that is the only way to lead them), because taming them will mean aggressive animals will be more likely to attack them, and you could be setting them up to more easily die. If you need to avoid dangerous mobs while bringing them home, you will need to work out better strategies. Many people collect dozens and even hundreds of animals without any issue.

If you thought this was a pet collection game, and paid 12 euro on that basis alone, you failed to do your research in advance. It does feature animal breeding, but not so much domesticated  "pets".  It's quite limited for "pets".

You apparently HOPED this would be just like other games you had played.  It's different, it has a different set of game mechanics. Tamings are very temporary. If you want to talk realistic, you are realistically NOT going to be able to fully tame a wild bear in a few minutes by giving it a few berries. This is a game with dragons, it's not fully "realistic", Star Wars with all its alien races is not "realistic," taming wild bears with a handful of berries and expecting it to now be fully domesticated for life is also not realistic. It's likely to eat your fellow villagers if not penned up.

You can take it as a challenge to work within the game's mechanics, and you can hope to maybe slowly influence the game in expanded directions, but throwing a tantrum and swearing at devs because it did not meet some imaginary expectations you had, will not make anything better.