Sign in to follow this  
Jakku

Add a One Character Limit Server

Add a One Character Limit Server  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Add a Purist One Character Limit Server

• Yes
    • No

Why not open servers with different rule sets?

Cater to all of your player base, I for one would prefer to play on a server like this, I know others like to have alts and thats fine but why not have an option for players that dont wanna feel they need to use alts to keep pace with others or economy.

I know there are ways to get around logging more characters on but you could make it a ban able offense when caught and limit the server to premium players only.

Edited by Jakku

This server would have to stay separate from all the other servers forever, I don't see where the fun in this would be or what one would win with this. 😕 

Sure, there are people who love having alts, so they can solo do most of the stuff ingame, but it's not necessary. I never felt forced to play multiple characters, have always only played one and been happy with this. If others like it that way, this just means they have more characters that can help me out :P 

Mass alts are the current cancer now that RMT has been removed.

Sure 1-2 alts isn't too bad but anything more is. When you have people using 5+ alts to raise different skills on each, or an alt for all 4 priests, it just ruins the community and MMO aspect of the game. 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 3

I see everyone keep talking about Alts lately like its the plague..

I would LOVE to have 200 toons on Xanadu who are 200 different people... problem is thats not the case right now and may never be again.. who knows.. but you can't do everything with one toon. Priests have restrictions on what they are capable.. some cant cut trees... others cant mine..

IF there were enough people to fill that gap then most of the alts wouldnt exist.. a lot of alts exist out of necessity.

Edited by xReesex

3 minutes ago, xReesex said:

I see everyone keep talking about Alts lately like its the plague..

I would LOVE to have 200 toons on Xanadu who are 200 different people... problem is thats not the case right now and may never be again.. who knows.. but you can't do everything with one toon. Priests have restrictions on what they are capable.. some cant cut trees... others cant mine..

IF there were enough people to fill that gap then most of the alts wouldnt exist.. a lot of alts exist out of necessity.

As i said, having an extra alt or 2 for priesting isn't bad.

But having an alt for each god for example is. 

1 hour ago, atazs said:

As i said, having an extra alt or 2 for priesting isn't bad.

But having an alt for each god for example is. 

Why is it such a bad thing? i have a priest of each and that purely comes down to this

1 failed vyn priest that i keep forgetting to grind so i still buy all my woa and coc tools(i can make 90 cast with a bit of effort and 90 ql im just lazy)
1 mag priest i have purely for mining projects and casting strongwall to close holes in my mountain that i might accidently make without having to wait for ages for someone to bring their mag alt over
1 fo priest that i use to go hunting with and do genesis with for my own horses(i dont sell horses)

Wurm is a game about being able to do what you want with the freedom given to you(and within rules) why limit such a part of the game? oh and all 3 have been or are currently majors of deeds thus help the kings coffers to be filled up with silver

A single toon server would just result in the same the current new servers have which is 99% of players are doing their own thing with a few people working as a group racing to get skills up high but once that initial rush is over all those people will branch out and do every other skill they know how to grind and it will result in 1 or 2 of them going priest because they will play the new servers not as actively(more afk style of play while playing on their mains) resulting in a village of crafters that is self sustaining and racking in 50s+ a week easy

Wurm is designed to be played either solo(and with alts to speed it up) or with a village and villages will always stay ahead even if you make a solo toon prem only server oh and prem only servers does not stop alt spam we will and have in the past paid for prem on alts that we dont do much with

• Like 3

1 hour ago, atazs said:

Sure 1-2 alts isn't too bad but anything more is. When you have people using 5+ alts to raise different skills on each, or an alt for all 4 priests, it just ruins the community and MMO aspect of the game. 

I think people are doing this to help themselves with better tools, weapons, etc.  A bonus is that they can sell stuff in game if others are willing to buy those items.  The game itself gains the premium time of the chars paid for by people wanting to prem various chars, and obviously they will have to keep paying prem if they want to continue using the higher skills of those chars.  Unfortunately priests can't imp stuff in Wurm Online, and various priests have different spells, and every deed needs its own mayor (one char can't have multiple deeds either), so many of the reasons are born out of limitations and requirements of the game itself.  Limiting the amount of characters will most likely lead to inflated prices on many items and not necessarily enhance community gameplay.

Edited by Fairyshine

3 hours ago, Jakku said:

players that dont wanna feel they need to use alts to keep pace with others or economy.

I could be wrong... but it seems to be that the basis for this request is because there's some feeling of competition with other players. This is a little confusing to me - I understand that having a player run in game economy implies a certain level of competition for customers.... but I never got the feeling, overall, that Wurm Online was a competitive-focused game (unless you opt into PVP maybe).  

It's like how we occasionally see forums posts that are motivated by some obscure feeling that there is a way to "win" at Wurm - and any thing that other players do equates to an "unfair advantage"  - or something you need to keep pace with. ... Keep pace - so you can what, exactly? Get to the end game at the same time as other people? Be raid-ready for the current tier? Get a server first in a game that's been online for over a decade? 

Wurm isn't that kind of game. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Amata said:

I could be wrong... but it seems to be that the basis for this request is because there's some feeling of competition with other players. This is a little confusing to me - I understand that having a player run in game economy implies a certain level of competition for customers.... but I never got the feeling, overall, that Wurm Online was a competitive-focused game (unless you opt into PVP maybe).  

It's like how we occasionally see forums posts that are motivated by some obscure feeling that there is a way to "win" at Wurm - and any thing that other players do equates to an "unfair advantage"  - or something you need to keep pace with. ... Keep pace - so you can what, exactly? Get to the end game at the same time as other people? Be raid-ready for the current tier? Get a server first in a game that's been online for over a decade? 

Wurm isn't that kind of game. 

I've been thinking the same thing.. i've been trying to find more information on how to "win".. i thought winning meant having fun.. but a lot of other posts make it sound like its a competition.

Edited by xReesex
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, atazs said:

Not really, mass alts were only a problem while RMT existed because people were able to buy multiple highly skilled accounts.

Without RMT? Good luck grinding up multiple characters at once effectively. 1-2 Is quite doable, especially if the second is a priest and you're grinding things like channeling, but if the skills you are trying to grind require a certain amount of attention then forget it.

Now that RMT is dead there's no issue with alts, especially on the new servers as those have never experienced RMT.

Have you ever considered that some people don't like playing in large communities? They like living on their own in the middle of nowhere. People who like playing as hermits aren't just going to change their way once it becomes as good as impossible, they'll simply go away. Thus you invalidate the entire hermit playstyle because of your misconceptions about alts. That's very harmful to the community aspect of the game as most hermits do interact with others through chat and go to community events, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xReesex said:

I've been thinking the same thing.. i've been trying to find more information on how to "win".. i thought winning meant having fun.. but a lot of other posts make it sound like its a competition.

Its not about winning, its about having a even playing field with others as much as possible, other things would have to change as well because as it is now a "whale" could burn SP and have a massive advantage, P2W so to speak. We ban bots and macros because they give unfair advantages but not the guys who self sermons with 7 characters boosting to 100 faith and link chain cast channeling and dominates the in game market? I mean that's unfair right, as most are single players they will never have access to that dimension of the game without others help hence the problem. But to wurm its just more prem subs so they look the other way.  We just need choice, everyone has their own way of how they like to play, to some fairness doesn't matter, to others it does, some like to compete and show their Epeens. I just think it would be nice to offer other rule sets for servers and at the end of the day it doesn't effect they way you play but may bring in others to wurm.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ecrir said:

Have you ever considered that some people don't like playing in large communities? They like living on their own in the middle of nowhere. People who like playing as hermits aren't just going to change their way once it becomes as good as impossible, they'll simply go away. Thus you invalidate the entire hermit playstyle because of your misconceptions about alts. That's very harmful to the community aspect of the game as most hermits do interact with others through chat and go to community events, etc.

Server choices... they can simply choose to not play on a single character server type but the current servers instead... this isn't about changing that game game currently is but adding other servers with other rule sets.

I got a few toons, around 10 on old servers, 2 are my mains, rest just low lvl alts to mine rock or dig, tried to get a Vyn priest, but nah :P
If a server only allowed 1 toon per player, that server would die fast I think.

I know a lot of players that use alts as a way of not burning out on main.
Like I changed between my 2 mains, just so I wouldnt get bored of the game to fast :D

1 hour ago, Jakku said:

Server choices... they can simply choose to not play on a single character server type but the current servers instead... this isn't about changing that game game currently is but adding other servers with other rule sets.

Permanently splitting up the community in a small game isn't a good idea. It's why it's a good thing that the North and South clusters can still be connected up in the future, it's just a temporary split. But a server where you can only have 1 character can never be connected to the other servers. Worse yet, the premium only idea in the OP has already been tried in the past and failed big time because no new players went to those servers.

So the end result would be a server that dies pretty fast, with the players on it having no way to get to another server.

1 hour ago, Jakku said:

Its not about winning, its about having a even playing field with others as much as possible, other things would have to change as well because as it is now a "whale" could burn SP and have a massive advantage, P2W so to speak. We ban bots and macros because they give unfair advantages but not the guys who self sermons with 7 characters boosting to 100 faith and link chain cast channeling and dominates the in game market? I mean that's unfair right, ..

I have the impression of somebody green with envy if anyone has the least advantage, or has deeply misunderstood the game, if not of gaming altogether. There are competitive games, where an even playing field indeed matters, but that ist not Wurm, at least not Wurm PvE. As to "massive advantages", those with much disposable time are the most advantageous and "rich" in Wurm as in every game, no money can make up for. Oh my, all these "wealthy" students, pensionists, jobless, disabled ..

When there are people with large building projects, but only a few hours free every day, and not much more during the weekends, but a good income, it is good and nice when they spend money for silver and boost the economy by buying bulk, rares, and other nice items for their ingame home. That is perfectly win-win. When someone buys SP, the ones selling SP profit as well, as does the whole economy. What the damn loses anyone when somebody reaches a level earlier?

• Like 3

In a genuine sandbox game that has a highly co-operative community "even playing field" is a meaningless construct.  Is someone more advanced than you?  Great.  They are a source of advice and help of all sorts.  Someone less advanced than you is an opportunity to share wisdom and offload some of the crap that is now useless to you but valuable to them.

Those with alts build the highways, bridges and guard-towers that benefit everyone.  I am not about to gripe that they get to do that,

• Like 2