Sign in to follow this  
Dranana1

No Alts on at Same time

I am sad to say that you can't have alts on at the same time as your main character if you do Steam. I think to reflect the fairness and what was hoped for when the new servers came out, I think the old client need to not be able to have alts on it at the same time as well.  Otherwise this puts new players on the Steam servers at a disadvantage and makes the Steam client less appealing to players. Also I hate to say it but alts do kind of destroy economies as not one want to pay for labor if their computer can just handle more accounts at the same time. 

I know old time players may think this is a bad idea but please leave constructive comments and suggestion on how do fix this issue or the new servers may end up looking like the old servers do in any a few months.

You dont have to use steam client. Download and use the old client if necessary.

And please don't suggest taking away one kids ice cream because the other kids melted...

I use my alt to help a friend on Melody while i play on Xanadu. Not all alts are evil...

• Like 6

Ok I honestly think that having alts ruins the economy and the game community as a whole. I think you should only be limited to having 1 character on a client at a time and not multiple ones at the same time. I mean if you have 7 alts doing stuff why make friends or interact with the community? I think we should make it so all clients can only have 1 character logged in at once. If you do that then that means 1 character for old client and 1 character for Steam client and that is all. I think this would be acceptable if you really wanted an alt.

Unless the game is remade then alts are useful and necessary. I just made 3 so *shrug*. 

20 mins to mine a tile? etc? More people would leave id guess. 

Edited by LordLouis

As a new (steam) player I was rather disappointed to learn about how much alts are used in the game, while we were talking about it in alliance chat today. One of the big reasons I came to Wurm to try it out was the whole idea of getting together and relying on each other, and working together towards a goal within a community. I have come to learn that its very common for people to tackle big projects simply by creating many accounts and doing it all alone rather than engaging with others.

I don't wish to try to tell others how they should play and if people want to play that way that is their business. I do think though that having that as a big part of the game would definitely hurt things socially. It also makes it more frustrating to me as a new player to try to find my place and value in the community when the veterans have their own personal alt armies. I feel that in my case it might very well be a reason that I don't stick with Wurm long term where I might have otherwise, though it's too early to say for sure.

I think it would be wonderful to at least have maybe a server available to choose where people who would like to be restricted to only one character per person (generally, I mean I know there is always ways around it, but close enough) can go and play there in that way. I really hope that is something that is offered sometime in the future.

• Like 1

I agree they need to fix the alt problem, either make it to where you can have only one character on each server so they can help friends on other servers but either way only one character on at a time per client. So if you are on the Steam client you can have a character on at the same time as a character that is on the old client. But only one character on at a time per client.

• Cat 1

I really hope they do not merger the two clients together anytime soon. If they do then what the hell was the point of a Steam release besides letting other know about it. If you can't have more then 1 toon open in steam then let that be the same in the old client. You can have both steam and old client at the same time. If you need an alt then do this.

Then people who don't/can't use steam are at a disadvantage as everyone else.

Do or don't doesn't matter really.. But i think as long as players are paying real money to devs to have their alt army.. then devs will likely let it continue. Personally i dont see the issue with it.. but i'm quite awkward.

• Like 3

Okay. So let's say we do this so that only 1 char can log in at a time. What exactly is the difference here if everyone has multiple characters anyway? Are we looking for it to take longer to grind skills since you can only grind on one character at a time?

Then let's say we finally get our skills up. So then if I have a main character that can craft and a priest that can cast, what's the difference between having them both online to make casted tools or having to only have 1 online at a time... and making the same casted tools?

If this is about making things take longer, I get it. If this is about economy.... this isn't going to do much in my opinion.

Just now, Bastet said:

I really hope they do not merger the two clients together anytime soon. If they do then what the hell was the point of a Steam release besides letting other know about it. If you can't have more then 1 toon open in steam then let that be the same in the old client. You can have both steam and old client at the same time. If you need an alt then do this.

Steam is just another way of getting the game in front of people's eyes... you can access ANY (new included) server from the old client as well as the "steam" version...

4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

If you're talking north and south Freedom, that's not going to happen anytime soon I don't think. Probably not for at least a couple of years, if at all.

23 minutes ago, Dranana1 said:

I am sad to say that you can't have alts on at the same time as your main character if you do Steam. I think to reflect the fairness and what was hoped for when the new servers came out, I think the old client need to not be able to have alts on it at the same time as well.  Otherwise this puts new players on the Steam servers at a disadvantage and makes the Steam client less appealing to players. Also I hate to say it but alts do kind of destroy economies as not one want to pay for labor if their computer can just handle more accounts at the same time. 

I know old time players may think this is a bad idea but please leave constructive comments and suggestion on how do fix this issue or the new servers may end up looking like the old servers do in any a few months.

The steam client doesn't lock you out of using the original client alongside it at the same time. Besides that more revenue ends up with the WO team if you buy from the WO shop, while less ends up with them when buying through Steam, as Steam takes a pretty large cut. So the steam client being less appealing is fine.

But all of that is besides the point. There's no way to prevent people from using more than one client at the same time.

Make the client detect if another is already running? I'll just throw up a VM and run the client in that.

Lock it to one client per IP address? Well, that's going to suck if multiple members in a family all play Wurm from the same house, and I'll just bypass it with a  VM+VPN anyway.

Ban the practice? Again sucks if multiple members in a family all play Wurm, not very fair to say the least.

Whatever technical obstacle you can think of, people with the necessary knowhow will find a way around it, putting them at a massive advantage over everybody else. So coming at it from the fairness point, you'd only be making things worse like that, not better.

Purely from the fairness point the only right approach would be to make running multiple accounts through the steam client possible.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 1

It should have just been stopped, like RMT and account selling. And Yumi, we already have peeps begging for merges, same old turds holding the game back and sadly are listened too. 

2 minutes ago, LordLouis said:

It should have just been stopped, like RMT and account selling. And Yumi, we already have peeps begging for merges, same old turds holding the game back and sadly are listened too. 

Those people begging for merges aren't going to get their wish. I wouldn't worry too much about that. lol

question is - why do you even use steam to load a game? you use steam to find a game so you go to official website and download standalone client 💁‍♂️

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skatyna said:

question is - why do you even use steam to load a game? you use steam to find a game so you go to official website and download standalone client 💁‍♂️

Not everyone's going to know you can do that. Imagine creating a character, playing for a couple of weeks or a month and then finding that out after you've bought premium time, bought a deed,  invested your time, etc.

Keep in mind that botting and macroing are against the TOS, so while someone *can* have 5 alts running they would keep to bounce around continuously to keep them active. That's a lot of work but the option is there. I'm not sure how many "normal" players would do this. 

I have 1 alt and I sometimes load up both at the same time. Why? Not to exploit or screw up the economy but because sometimes staring at an action over and over again is boring as hell. So if I have a toon that is mining or trying to build a knarr, it's nice to have a toon that I can actually "do" something with instead of just queue and watch TV. So, not everyone running more than 1 toon is trying to exploit or dominate, at least in my experience and opinion.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by SirMuttley
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Yumi said:

Not everyone's going to know you can do that. Imagine creating a character, playing for a couple of weeks or a month and then finding that out after you've bought premium time, bought a deed,  invested your time, etc.

AND? then you download standalone and log your character there :D

or just play your main on steam, download standalone client and play alts ffs

Edited by Skatyna

I am a veteran player and have been playing for 5 yrs, I have seen what an economy made of alts is like and it sucks. That was one main reason I was happy to see it coming out on Steam since they only allow one character on at a time. I was hopping they would fix the old server to do the same but sadly that is not true. Unfortunately the new Steam community is going to go the same way as the old community in that the economy will be over ran with alts and people will leave the game again because they cant keep up to joe smo and his 16 alts.

1 minute ago, Skatyna said:

AND? then you download standalone and log your character there :D

or just play your main on steam, download standalone client and play alts ffs

You can't do that though. Your steam character is tied to your steam account. Can't use the standalone launcher for that character.

6 minutes ago, Dranana1 said:

I am a veteran player and have been playing for 5 yrs, I have seen what an economy made of alts is like and it sucks. That was one main reason I was happy to see it coming out on Steam since they only allow one character on at a time. I was hopping they would fix the old server to do the same but sadly that is not true. Unfortunately the new Steam community is going to go the same way as the old community in that the economy will be over ran with alts and people will leave the game again because they cant keep up to joe smo and his 16 alts.

noone allows anything. You can play 1 steam character a time yes, but you can also log in another 10 aside that from standalone launcher. ban alts and you get what? then you cry that players who have 2-3 PCs can play alts but noone else can? or some other dude will use sandboxed clients to load multiple... or use VPN to use multiple etc.. there are tons and tons of ways how to bypass the "1 player a time" limit. dont want alts - dont play. I play 6 acc. why? cuz i like to have any priest by my side when i need one. and not just some priest, but good priest where i can drop 90+ cast in 5 minutes when needed and move on. tho, i would gladly put all my time into 1 character, but then what? you happen to need some silly coc cast on new pickaxe and you have to look for suitable good priest half a day? lol

Edited by Skatyna

While i am not too occupied with this stuff it is not like running more then 2 clients and maintaining any degree of effectiveness is not too easy if you are doing anything more complex then digging dirt.

The main thing i am gonna just throw here, if alts are gone priests will be gone until they get another rework then which i will not be expecting.

Moral of the story

No alts? No priests.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PotatoOnStick said:

While i am not too occupied with this stuff it is not like running more then 2 clients and maintaining any degree of effectiveness is not too easy if you are doing anything more complex then digging dirt.

The main thing i am gonna just throw here, if alts are gone priests will be gone until they get another rework then which i will not be expecting.

Moral of the story

No alts? No priests.

Pretty much this actually. What Drayana's suggesting might actually ruin the economy as everything gets too expensive to buy: bulk goods and especially casts would skyrocket.

Edited by Yumi
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

14 minutes ago, Skatyna said:

noone allows anything. You can play 1 steam character a time yes, but you can also log in another 10 aside that from standalone launcher. ban alts and you get what? then you cry that players who have 2-3 PCs can play alts but noone else can? or some other dude will use sandboxed clients to load multiple... or use VPN to use multiple etc.. there are tons and tons of ways how to bypass the "1 player a time" limit. dont want alts - dont play. I play 6 acc. why? cuz i like to have any priest by my side when i need one. and not just some priest, but good priest where i can drop 90+ cast in 5 minutes when needed and move on. tho, i would gladly put all my time into 1 character, but then what? you happen to need some silly coc cast on new pickaxe and you have to look for suitable good priest half a day? lol

aaand thats how all old server economies are dead. maybe you should play wu with your alts in your private server lol.

1 minute ago, Xinit said:

aaand thats how all old server economies are dead. maybe you should play wu with your alts in your private server lol.

And yet plenty of stuff gets bought and sold all the time. I have a couple of priest alts yet I buy a ton of stuff from other players, doesn't look dead to me. And maybe you should stop trolling by bringing wu into this.

• Like 4