Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

WSA: Rogue Referrals

In the past, first time purchases of premium gave players a referral. This referral allowed a player to nominate someone to receive 20 days premium time or 3 silver. When we reworked premium prices, we added the special first time premium packages and removed the referrals as we felt the cheaper prices gave better value than a referral. 

By a mistake in our shop code, Steam-purchased first time offers gave players a referral and 2s extra to the actual offer.

While it was never intended, we see that inconsistent shop offers can be misleading and players can follow the word-of-mouth in deciding what to spend their money on - for that reason, shortly after the server restart today we are granting 20 days of premium + 2 silvers to all accounts that have not received the referral when the same Steam Store purchase offers gave it away. Those are accounts that have purchased the starter packages from our website in the time since the Steam release until now.

Referrals are with this update no longer given away for any shop offer, as per the original intention since the latest shop changes.

Regards,

The Wurm team.

• Like 19

Good move.  The referrals will still function over time, or will they be removed if unused by a certain time?  My accounts received the referrals.

1 minute ago, Wurmhole said:

Good move.  The referrals will still function over time, or will they be removed if unused by a certain time?  My accounts received the referrals.

Referrals that have been given but not yet redeemed will still function until announced otherwise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

While it was never intended, we see that inconsistent shop offers can be misleading and players can follow the word-of-mouth in deciding what to spend their money on - for that reason, shortly after the server restart today we are granting 20 days of premium + 2 silvers to all accounts that have not received the referral when the same Steam Store purchase offers gave it away.

Now apply this same type of thinking to the people your game screwed over, by denying them the 4 day long 30% skill bonus increase + affinity increase. When are those people going to be compensated with 144 sleep powders each? That's the equivalent of what you gave everyone else playing the game. Word of mouth works in many ways. This situation however is not misleading, it's what happened and the staff here seems to be turning a blind eye to it. 

Edited by Gumbo
144 not 148
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Gumbo said:

Now apply this same type of thinking to the people your game screwed over, by denying them the 4 day long 30% skill bonus increase + affinity increase. When are those people going to be compensated with 148 sleep powders each? That's the equivalent of what you gave everyone else playing the game. Word of mouth works in many ways. This situation however is not misleading, it's what happened and the staff here seems to be turning a blind eye to it. 

What?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Gumbo said:

Now apply this same type of thinking to the people your game screwed over, by denying them the 4 day long 30% skill bonus increase + affinity increase. When are those people going to be compensated with 148 sleep powders each? That's the equivalent of what you gave everyone else playing the game. Word of mouth works in many ways. This situation however is not misleading, it's what happened and the staff here seems to be turning a blind eye to it. 

They already extended the 30% sleep bonus in response to server performance issues, what do you mean?

• Like 1

I purchased my first time offer from Wurm shop like 4 months ago, am I eligible to receive 2s? 

Edited by Platyna

12 minutes ago, Platyna said:

I purchased my first time offer from Wurm shop like 4 months ago, am I eligible to receive 2s? 

No just new accounts as retro clearly said.

58 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

we are granting 20 days of premium + 2 silvers to all accounts that have not received the referral when the same Steam Store purchase offers gave it away. Those are accounts that have purchased the starter packages from our website in the time since the Steam release until now.

Edited by Badvoc

There has been people who did receive referrals from the starter packages from the website shop but still got the extra premium + 2s

What about referals received for buying none of the starter packages? I bought a normal offer for my new character, because I didn't see the others, and I received a referal that I can use. (starter packages are gone from the shop for me)

Is this intended?

• Like 1

Just now, Cayce said:

What about referals received for buying none of the starter packages? I bought a normal offer for my new character, because I didn't see the others, and I received a referal that I can use. (starter packages are gone from the shop for me)

Is this intended?

It was not intended, but we are not removing those referrals from the current accounts. Getting referrals for regular packages happened both on Steam and in our own store, so there wasn't such an inconsistency there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Samool said:

It was not intended, but we are not removing those referrals from the current accounts. Getting referrals for regular packages happened both on Steam and in our own store, so there wasn't such an inconsistency there.

So to be clear, the intent is for the referral system to entirely not exist, as far as people ever gaining new referals, a change of position from the last posts about this?

45 minutes ago, Chakron said:

They already extended the 30% sleep bonus in response to server performance issues, what do you mean?

I mean there was also an Error Code 35, that prevented some people from launching the browser for days after the bottleneck cleared up. The people with Error Code 35 game launcher problem, didn't get the first 48 hrs of bonus, or the second 48 hours of game bonus.  We got F'd, and we're not happy about it.  144 sleep powders is the equivalent of what we originally missed out on. When Wurm decided to extend that to 96 hours, we with the Error Code 35, are now missing out on the equivalent of 288 sleep powders. 

Now does this game believe in treating their customers fairly and equally?  Or are they going to go down the hypocracy route?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gumbo said:

I mean there was also an Error Code 35, that prevented some people from launching the browser for days after the bottleneck cleared up. The people with Error Code 35 game launcher problem, didn't get the first 48 hrs of bonus, or the second 48 hours of game bonus.  We got F'd, and we're not happy about it.  144 sleep powders is the equivalent of what we originally missed out on. When Wurm decided to extend that to 96 hours, we with the Error Code 35, are now missing out on the equivalent of 288 sleep powders. 

Now does this game believe in treating their customers fairly and equally?  Or are they going to go down the hypocracy route?

I had the same issue ... before I redownloaded and the influx of players settled down. How you had the problem for as long as you did I don't know, but am immensely sorry to hear.

• Like 2

Well I just got back into the game right before the Steam release and used the special offer to startup two new characters. No referral received on either and now no compensation because my timing was off it sounds like. Between this now and the issues we've covered in other posts about not being able to take advantage of background bonus stuff because of the game constantly going down for dif things, rough week for this old player. All the excitement of this new addition to game and helping out and all... just to feel kicked while already down. 

Why just for those who were accidentally shorted after Steam release? Why not for those of us who did not receive what others did but experienced it just before release? I don't get the limitation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gumbo said:

And what do you propose? Tracking down everyone who had that error doesn't sound feasible unless it's tracked on their side- they could extend the bonus again for people overall (I doubt they have a method built in to create a personalized 30% buff for those people, even if they could somehow track it)

They could extend it again, but at what point is this an exercise in futility?

Yes, the launch was messy and yes some people will be somewhat disadvantaged by not being able to play a couple days earlier; but it's neither the end of the world nor ultimately that important, and it's extremely scummy to imply they're purposefully mistreating a section of the community by not handing out compensations to each and every individual person torn out by an issue. I didn't expect compensation for the referal thing (as a person who bought a starter pack and didn't gain a referal), but it's a pleasant surprise.

There's been plenty of other bugs and they're very well trying their best, at the same time as they're trying to cater to the two server communities and fix up problems that arise (i.e imbalances in the pvp one)
And hey- they're trying. Small team and all that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, neopherus said:

I had the same issue ... before I redownloaded and the influx of players settled down. How you had the problem for as long as you did I don't know, but am immensely sorry to hear.

Thanks for your kind words. Many others had the same problem. I can only hope the staff here see the err of their ways, and make things right, with compensation equal to that which they gave 98% (guessing) of the playerbase. It's not like I'm asking for anything that everyone didn't receive. Right now, it's more like the staff here punishing a handful of customers for no good reason.

21 minutes ago, RainRain said:

And what do you propose? Tracking down everyone who had that error doesn't sound feasible unless it's tracked on their side- they could extend the bonus again for people overall (I doubt they have a method built in to create a personalized 30% buff for those people, even if they could somehow track it)

They could extend it again, but at what point is this an exercise in futility?

Yes, the launch was messy and yes some people will be somewhat disadvantaged by not being able to play a couple days earlier; but it's neither the end of the world nor ultimately that important, and it's extremely scummy to imply they're purposefully mistreating a section of the community by not handing out compensations to each and every individual person torn out by an issue. I didn't expect compensation for the referal thing (as a person who bought a starter pack and didn't gain a referal), but it's a pleasant surprise.

There's been plenty of other bugs and they're very well trying their best, at the same time as they're trying to cater to the two server communities and fix up problems that arise (i.e imbalances in the pvp one)
And hey- they're trying. Small team and all that.

They tracked down everyone for this referal glitch/bug. Yes, I expect the staff to do their best to track down those affected. There are some of us who were vocal about it the entire time. No tracking necessary, we're right here. Giving a 3rd x 48hr skill bonus just exacerbates the problem, so no, I don't think that is the way. This is because the people with the Error Code 35 problem will be short 96 hour of bonus time to the people who had no problems. Also the Error Code 35 people would be 48 hours of bonus time behind those that Wurm has already "compensated"

Put it this way. Say you had two children and you were in the kitchen and gave one of the children a cookie. Just as that kid finishes eating the cookie, the other kid walks in and says "If he got a cookie, I want a cookie too".  So you give the kid his cookie to even things up, but then also give the first kid a second cookie. It's never going to be equal if you give the first kid one more cookie every time.

What Wurm is doing to this group of people, is called discrimination. Wurm should be ashamed of themselves for letting it go this far already.

Edited by Gumbo
never leave a tiepo in a 5 syllable word :P

premium purchases are logged, people unable to connect aren't. it sucks but theres no way to know who was unable to connect and if you only refund those who complained on the forums thats only helping a vocal minority of players with the issue, and if you refund those who complained on the forums but those who didnt get nothing coz you cant verify they were effected that's also not gonna be equal.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

premium purchases are logged, people unable to connect aren't. it sucks but theres no way to know who was unable to connect and if you only refund those who complained on the forums thats only helping a vocal minority of players with the issue, and if you refund those who complained on the forums but those who didnt get nothing coz you cant verify they were effected that's also not gonna be equal.

But it will still minimize the amount of people who got screwed over. That is a benefit. You are arguing that since they can't help everyone who got screwed over, then no-one who got screwed over, should be helped. Give your head a shake mate.

Edited by Gumbo

Thats why instead of the bonus period, you give everyone say 5 sleep powders and say have a nice day. At least they can use them at their liberty. Instead, we've given everyone a bonus skilgain period that depends on being connected to the game in order to enjoy when right now a solid connection and guarantees are anything but sure since the Steam rollout.

"Free slurpees at the slurpee machine right now. But the slurpee machine is functionally on and off right now"

Why not give coupons out we can use whenever to get the slurpee since the machine is not right right now?  Like the sleep powder. If not meant to be insincere, it is to those unable to make it to the machine during this limited time to take advantage and while its working.

Edited by Alpengeist

So, only those that got first time purchases from steam get the extra bonus and those from wurm shop aren't?

5 minutes ago, Tor said:

So, only those that got first time purchases from steam get the extra bonus and those from wurm shop aren't?

It appears that if you bought on WO after STeam release, you'll be taken care of. Folks like myself who started multiple characters just before Steam release using the deal will remain shorted.  for some reason

Me: - Oh whoa steam people got extra from purchases? Thats not cool

- Oh whoa, theyre gonna take care of those that were shorted on the WO side. Cool! thank you staff!

- Oh, since I did the deal on two characters just before Steam, I don't get anything...   wow  thanks.  what did i do wrong?

Edited by Alpengeist
  • Like 1