Zenity

Multi client for Steam Clients

The Only official method for multiclient is using the Wurm web client, the following method for the Steam client is not officially supported.

Having alts is a long time Wurm tradition, but Steam Client does not allow that, or does it?

Herein are some instructions on making Steam Client able to run more than one instance without any Multiboxing, killing threads or other messing about, all it needs is one very simple text file, and a new shortcut on your already crowded desktop.

Firstly find your Wurm Online folder in your Steam Library, usually in c:\program files(x86)\Steam\Steamapps|common but may be on another drive, depending on how you set it up, long story short, Steam Properties, Local Files should open the folder for you, you should have a couple of folders and an exe file, Make a shortcut to the Exe file on your desktop, since you use that, NOT the shortcut Steam dumped on your desktop for you to launch the game.

Next you need to create a text file, so right click in the folder, New text file, rename that to Steam_appid

Now Edit that text file and enter the number 1179680

Save the file.

Use the NEW shortcut to open Wurm Online and login your main character, now, here's the magic, Use the NEW shortcut to open another instance of Wurm Online, enter another character name, and behold, an Alt, while your Main is still logged in! What devilry is this?

(Disclaimer: This may not work if you have file extensions off in windows explorer and make a file called Steam_appid.txt.txt instead of Steam_appid.txt.

This works on Linux too, but you'll have to find your folders yourself, Different distros may do things differently, but the basic method is the same)

Also note: This is Multiclienting, NOT Multiboxing.

Multiboxing is bannable.

Multiclienting is allowed in Wurm. 

Edited by Zenity
  • Like 7

This isn't working for me, any clients the launcher starts just idle forever consuming 20% cpu without ever displaying anything.

I ran into the problem where the shortcut ignores the launch options. Is there a way to force the shortcut to pay attention to the -c command line?

Edit: I uninstalled and reinstalled it then just added -c in the shortcut from the shortcuts properties tab. : "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Online\WurmLauncher64.exe" -c

This seemed to force the stupid command line since it was ignoring steams built in command line options. So finally got it sorted. Orginal issue below in case someone else runs into this. when in doubt reinstall. *frustrated sigh*

Right now the instance launched by the default shortcut or from in steam itself will do the old ui. However the new shortcut or even the launch.exe inside the steam local file will ignore launch options while not allowing for a second client to be launched. But if I use the above Steam_appid and the new shortcut I am stuck with the new ui. despite having the launch option for the game being set to -c to enable being able to choose which ui I want. But it I launch the first client from in steam or default shortcut it lets me choose the old ui. then I have to use the shorcut from the method above to get a second wurm client up. but it will not let me choose the ui.

I dont know what went wrong. all of this worked properly then I had to reinstall windows now I cant get the shortcut to respect launch options.( windows reinstall was to fix app permissions bugging into only gods know where in windoes)

Edited by Yserin
resoved issue. not sure what caused it still

@YserinIt would ignore the command line option in steam, since you’re essentially short circuiting the steam client and running the executable directly, so yes, editing the shortcut would have to be done through the shortcut itself. This is one of the reasons why this is not an officially supported method of getting your alt into Wurm at the same time as your main, it’s a workaround for steam’s single client system.

@Ephemerali’m not sure why this isn’t working for you, unless there is a problem with the client itself of course, launching via the exe file should be exactly the same as launching it from steam really. I’ve used this same method on WU for years now, since it’s just a tweak of Bdew’s original multi client workaround. Some things to try, as a test, does it work normally if launching from steam? Is it only alts that freeze or is it all attempts to launch the exe? And have you tried verifying the steam files in case it’s actually a corrupted file from an update?

For anyone who may be a little confused here, the wurm online staff use a non-standard definition of multiboxing. While multiboxing is properly defined as:

Multi-boxing or multiboxing refers to playing as multiple separate characters concurrently in an MMORPG. 

It can potentially (but does not necessarily) encompass the use of tools to automate or streamline such activities.
In the world of wurm, Multiboxing is (incorrectly imo) used to refer to input broadcasting, where one (or a combination of inputs) sends a command to multiple clients at once. So to clarify:

Playing more than one character or client at once, even on the same computer: 100% fine.

Playing more than one character and using one mouseclick or one keypress (simulated or physical) to multiple characters at once: Prohibited

• Like 5

i just close the steam bootstrap in task manager, then log in the next use my next steam user account.  if you have more then one.  

The best way to do multiclienting is to use the classic steam free client. No hassle. Just launch multiple times. But keep in mind that only characters created with this client can be played with this client. And CC gets more cash than when using the steam client.

• Like 1

Does this still work?  Try as I might, I cant get it to work for me.

Thank you!

Yes this still does work. If your like me and don't have the .exe file it is the WurmLauncher64, Make that the short cut and then make the text file.

Edited by Ailorn

For anyone having the same trouble I was... I misread things a bit. It said to make the shortcut on the desktop, and then to make the .txt file-- but the .txt file doesn't go on the desktop. It goes in the same folder as the original .exe in Steam. Works great, thank you!

On 7/30/2020 at 4:07 PM, Zenity said:

can you explain in layman's terms what is multiboxing in this context?

nevermind, reading through topic clarifies it

Edited by nekoexmachina

Can this be moved to community assistance > game guides?

• Like 1

It doesn't work for me. I'm in linux, using Manjaro, I located the files, and I did the procedure but the launcher crash at beginning with no log. Some idea?

Edited by Moloxh

This worked for me and literally has removed so much stress from my Wurm life thank you for this. xD

• Like 2

On 7/30/2020 at 9:07 AM, Zenity said:

The Only official method for multiclient is using the Wurm web client, the following method for the Steam client is not officially supported.

Having alts is a long time Wurm tradition, but Steam Client does not allow that, or does it?

Herein are some instructions on making Steam Client able to run more than one instance without any Multiboxing, killing threads or other messing about, all it needs is one very simple text file, and a new shortcut on your already crowded desktop.

Firstly find your Wurm Online folder in your Steam Library, usually in c:\program files(x86)\Steam\Steamapps|common but may be on another drive, depending on how you set it up, long story short, Steam Properties, Local Files should open the folder for you, you should have a couple of folders and an exe file, Make a shortcut to the Exe file on your desktop, since you use that, NOT the shortcut Steam dumped on your desktop for you to launch the game.

Next you need to create a text file, so right click in the folder, New text file, rename that to Steam_appid.

Save the file.

Use the NEW shortcut to open Wurm Online and login your main character, now, here's the magic, Use the NEW shortcut to open another instance of Wurm Online, enter another character name, and behold, an Alt, while your Main is still logged in! What devilry is this?

(Disclaimer: This may not work if you have file extensions off in windows explorer and make a file called Steam_appid.txt.txt instead of Steam_appid.txt. Also, this works on Linux too, but you'll have to find your folders yourself, Different distros may do things differently, but the basic method is the same)

Multiboxing is bannable.

@ZenityI get this error 

Unfortunately, the Wurm Online client crashed. The error was: <Failed to initialize Steam API. Make sure Steam is running.>

It's possible you might figure out what's wrong from the log file below, but if you can't, post the full log on the wurm online forums, and someone else might be able to help you.

Contents of temporary launch log:

To pay for premium on a Steam account, you need enable overlay in Steam settings (Steam>settings>in-game>enable overlay), then you can can access the shop in game. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 8:07 AM, Zenity said:

Next you need to create a text file, so right click in the folder, New text file, rename that to Steam_appid.

Save the file.

If you are having issues using this post.

Rename that to Steam_appid
not Steam_appid.

That was my mess-up

@HagiosJewell

Edited by Zurrg

Thank you so much this will be extremely helpful.  Took a min to figure out with out being able to the the file extensions i.e. .text .exe 

I am running Arch Linux and this does not work for me so I could use some help.  The first client launches and runs fine but when launching the second, the first one freezes immediately and then crashes.  I have a crash log but it is not very helpful Any ideas would be appreciated!

Edited by SongAngel

On 7/30/2020 at 9:07 AM, Zenity said:

Next you need to create a text file, so right click in the folder, New text file, rename that to Steam_appid

Save the file.

(Disclaimer: This may not work if you have file extensions off in windows explorer and make a file called Steam_appid.txt.txt instead of Steam_appid.txt.

This works on Linux too, but you'll have to find your folders yourself, Different distros may do things differently, but the basic method is the same)

Multiboxing is bannable.

This has been working for me for the longest time until 2 days ago. The latest update ended it. It refuses to let me log in another alt while my main character is running. What can I do now?

Thanks

On 1/16/2022 at 1:32 AM, HagiosJewell said:

@ZenityI get this error 

Unfortunately, the Wurm Online client crashed. The error was: <Failed to initialize Steam API. Make sure Steam is running.>

It's possible you might figure out what's wrong from the log file below, but if you can't, post the full log on the wurm online forums, and someone else might be able to help you.

Contents of temporary launch log:

I got the same thing, failed to initialize Steam API. This method worked for me for WU though, just a different number had to go in Steam_appid