Sign in to follow this  
shamflam

Multiboxing

We where just talking about the multiboxing part of the rules in freedom chat on Melody and there was some confusion. 

The GM's have a different definition on what multiboxing is compared to other games. 

Multiboxing is running multiple clients at once (hence multi boxes or windows). appearantly this is allowed.
what is not allowed is running macros to make simultanious actions on all these clients.  but logging in and plaing on 3 different chars in 3 different game windows is allowed.

I suggest this should be changed in the rules. 

B ) Multiboxing (automated sending of actions to more than one client at the same time) is not permitted.

'automated sending of actions to more than one client at the same time' is technicly using macros and should not be considered multiboxing.

since we have a lot of new players through the steam launch and given the confusion about it in freedom chat. The devs should be moreclear on what multiboxing actualy is. Making people believe they can not run more then one client would give them an unfair advantage towards people that runnign a worker alt, their main and 2 priest at once 😛

Edited by shamflam

1 hour ago, shamflam said:

B ) Multiboxing (automated sending of actions to more than one client at the same time) is not permitted.

big correction here - you are not allowed to send automated actions not even if you play on 1 client. 

5 minutes ago, Skatyna said:

big correction here - you are not allowed to send automated actions not even if you play on 1 client. 

That is macroing, bannable as well.

Important: Playing at a time on multiple boxes or multiple clients on the same box (alt-tab style) is perfectly legal (albeit most times exhausting) as long as it is not steered by automated actions.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skatyna said:

B ) Multiboxing (automated sending of actions to more than one client at the same time) is not permitted.

well thats what I am saying. Thats not the definition of multiboxing and therefore it should be changed in the rules to avoid confusion. 

Multiboxing = running multiple clients at once and is allowed.

automated sending of actions to more then one client = using macro's while multiboxing and is not allowed

as stated in the rules it says multiboxing is not allowed ( and they give a wrong definition of what multiboxing actualy is). 

B ) Multiboxing (automated sending of actions to more than one client at the same time) is not permitted.

so this is basicly just a repeat of rule A.

Edited by shamflam

Well if it automated messages are not allowed even for one player, then the whole line has no point and should be removed (as it is obvious it will not be allowed for two or more players as well), and Indeed, multi boxing usually means what OP described.

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 1

i guess Enki wants to make it all explicit but it really should be very clear like Platyna says, that if macros are not allowed with 1 client, they are obviously also not allowed with more than one.

• Like 1

It should be understood that multiboxing is slightly different from macroing. Macroing means using third party programs which steer ingame player actions in automatic or semi-automatic ways, botting, where the full activity is automatized, being the most radical form thereof.

Multiboxing means steering several clients from a single input device, which may even be done by a player 100% acting online and aware of the ongoing game. A multiboxer could, at least often, claim that s/he is not macroing, and much less botting at all. Anyway, multiboxing coordinates and concentrates the activities of different clients in an unruly way giving unfair advantages. That is why it is forbidden.

7 hours ago, Ekcin said:

It should be understood that multiboxing is slightly different from macroing. Macroing means using third party programs which steer ingame player actions in automatic or semi-automatic ways, botting, where the full activity is automatized, being the most radical form thereof.

Multiboxing means steering several clients from a single input device, which may even be done by a player 100% acting online and aware of the ongoing game. A multiboxer could, at least often, claim that s/he is not macroing, and much less botting at all. Anyway, multiboxing coordinates and concentrates the activities of different clients in an unruly way giving unfair advantages. That is why it is forbidden.

A lot of people have several clients open at once and play like that, I don't know how they do it, but they do, and they speak about it openly on channels even in the presence of staff. If you can divide your attention to more than one game client why shouldn't you be allowed to do that? 

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Wait I am even more confused now. So running multiple clients at once even without macrois and being 100% aware on all accounts is also not permitted?

Like Platyna said this has been in Wurm from the start of the game and people speak openly about it. 

so is multiboxing like in running multiple clients at once allowed or not? 

we know macro's aren't allowed and have not been from the start.

you can run multiple clients its saying you can't send actions to multiple clients at the same time via demultiplexer or whatever, hence the part in brackets where it explains what is considered multiboxing and what you cant do. if you read the line above it it tells you that macroing isn't allowed either. The difference between a macro and a multibox script as it's explained in that post is that a macro is just general automated gameplay, whereas the multiboxing part is specifically talking about mirroring client movements (for example, pressing a keybind on one client presses that keybind on all of your open wurm clients, it's only automated gameplay for the secondary clients but it's still not allowed at all).

9 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

you can run multiple clients its saying you can't send actions to multiple clients at the same time via demultiplexer or whatever, hence the part in brackets where it explains what is considered multiboxing and what you cant do. if you read the line above it it tells you that macroing isn't allowed either. The difference between a macro and a multibox script as it's explained in that post is that a macro is just general automated gameplay, whereas the multiboxing part is specifically talking about mirroring client movements (for example, pressing a keybind on one client presses that keybind on all of your open wurm clients, it's only automated gameplay for the secondary clients but it's still not allowed at all).

I know that but I was confused about what Eckin said.

Multiboxing means steering several clients from a single input device, which may even be done by a player 100% acting online and aware of the ongoing game. A multiboxer could, at least often, claim that s/he is not macroing, and much less botting at all. Anyway, multiboxing coordinates and concentrates the activities of different clients in an unruly way giving unfair advantages. That is why it is forbidden.

There is no talking about macro's or mirrored clients in there. Just having the clients open and being 100% aware is also forbidden he says. So that is also without the mirroring and macro's .

People here seem to think multiboxing is using a hacked client or soemthing. That is not true at all.

Wiki on multiboxing goes as followed:

"Multiboxing refers to playing as multiple separate characters concurrently in an MMORPG. This can either be achieved by using multiple separate machines to run the game or by running multiple separate instances of the game. Multiboxing might be considered a form of cheating.[1] Multiboxing is considered to be difficult to do well without practice, as it involves adapting to problems in real-time.[2]"

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-boxing)

Thats why I was suggesting it to be changed in the rules because people seem to have a different meaning of multiboxing and toa void confusion. That is of course if multiboxing is allowed. The way Eckin described it not even runnign multiple clients is allowed. I knew there ahve been a bunch of changes with the steam launch and I and many others where wondering  if running multiple clients at once (multiboxing) had been disallowed, same time as they went away from the real cash economy.

Edited by shamflam

B ) Multiboxing (automated sending of actions to more than one client at the same time

if running 2+ clients was bannable there wouldn't be anyone left in the game coz they'd all be banned

8 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

B ) Multiboxing (automated sending of actions to more than one client at the same time

if running 2+ clients was bannable there wouldn't be anyone left in the game coz they'd all be banned

Like I said before read up on what multiboxing actualy is. Multiboxing has nothing to do with automated clients... 

thats why I posted the wiki definition.

I am not stupid you dont have to but it in bold 😛. I can read you know...

I am just stating thats the wrong definition of multiboxing and might cause some confusion.

Like as it stated now in the rules many people think running multiple clients isnt alowed.

Edited by shamflam

boy its a good thing there's an explanation of what it means in the rules (perhaps in some brackets, such as these?) otherwise that'd be really confusing!

multiboxing has always been used to reference using scripts to control multiple clients at the same time in pretty much any game i've ever played, and multiplaying is the act of running multiple clients. i know your thought of "its really confusing to newbies" seems really convincing but the amount of misinformation about any aspect of the game i've heard in the past it's safe to assume pouring breakfast confuses some of these people

5 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

boy its a good thing there's an explanation of what it means in the rules (perhaps in some brackets, such as these?) otherwise that'd be really confusing!

multiboxing has always been used to reference using scripts to control multiple clients at the same time in pretty much any game i've ever played, and multiplaying is the act of running multiple clients. i know your thought of "its really confusing to newbies" seems really convincing but the amount of misinformation about any aspect of the game i've heard in the past it's safe to assume pouring breakfast confuses some of these people

read the actual definition of multiboxing again

"This can either be achieved by using multiple separate machines to run the game or by running multiple separate instances of the game."

Nothing is being said about automated gameplay or use of macro's. sure you can do that in a multiboxing setting. but you can also do that if you are running a single client.

I dont know what other games you have been playing but multiboxing has always been running multiple clients in every single game I have played and multiplaying is just playing with other people .

Edited by shamflam

I am playing MMORPGs for 25+ years and multi boxing was always what @shamflam& Wikipedia said, plus, it is also redundant piece as if you can't bot on one client it is quite obvious you can't bot on two or three. So the term should be changed or the whole line removed because it is confusing and there are permanent bans at stake, so it is quite important in my humble opinion. 

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1