Sign in to follow this  
Hanel

Tent 'deeds' everywhere

So it seems people believe if they plop down their tent someplace it's their deed and so inviolate especially if they've done a bit of work on the land. Yet they've not bothered to spend a penny for a deed. They are everyplace. What is the official stand on all of the tent 'deeds'? If I deed over them am I an ahole? I'd really like to see some official stance on this because it has gotten out of control. 

BTW, I think many believe this tent deeding is part and parcel of 'free play'.

Edited by Hanel

There are two general rules to abide by, which are sometimes in conflict:

1. Deed it or lose it

2. Don't be a jerk

Historical precedent tends to favor rule 1 in case of conflict 

• Like 7

Probably some of them will leave the game after trying it out for a bit, but maybe good thing would be to tell them how to deed properly. But I recon if someone is here to stay they would know that. Just enjoy virign lands being overrun by newbies, a beautiful sight to behold! 

• Like 3

i see 3 ways it can go down:

1. you deed it and KOS the tent owner.. hell be gone within minutes.

2. you ask the guy to move as you want to deed here, he moves or you do the first step above.

3. talk to the guy, maybe he will let you deed and you have a new friend villager with you. 

I got the impression that it was less that they wanted that specific spot, then that they were against F2P players having an undeeded homestead.

The "official" stance to my understanding is, unpaid homesteads are allowed but they are risky because another person could deed over your work. Is that person deeding over an a-hole? Probably if he deeds there ONLY because he is upset about a free player building there, and wouldn't have deeded there except to "teach them a lesson". It's a little jerky but it is legal to deed over them. "Deed It Or Lose It" is the wurm mantra.

Remember, some of them may be people not sure yet whether to invest money into the game, especially with lag, It may be they are giving it a month free and then deciding. Or ...   it may be that they lost their job due to coronavirus, have an eviction notice on their IRL apartment, had their grandfather die of COVID-19 in the past month, and being able to play Wurm for free is the only bright spot in their life right now. We really don't know anything about other people's circumstances.

Remember, even F2P players "add to the game" simply by being here. Other players -- paying or not -- are the best "free" content in the game.  They cost developers almost nothing and they keep other players here who CAN and WILL spend money as long as the game has an active and happy playerbase. Free to play players are an integral part of the community.  Deliberately chasing them all away as "damn freeloaders" only puts Wurm right back into  a bad state of game, where people are leaving because people are leaving, and the Steam launch was in fact advertised as a "free to play' game, not as a "free limited trial" game.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 14
  • Cat 1

I always felt "deed it or lose it" a warning: "there are a.holes and if undeeded few can be done about", not as and encouragement for a.holes. This at least is the case in PvE. In PvP might is right, and if you want to defend your right, fight.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 2

If you have an issue with tents vs deeds then you don't understand Wurm PvP.  Unless you build a deed like the starter village and can defend it, a deed is pointless and will get flattened.

The tent people might just want to grind and skill up to join a group which is part of a larger plan.  I'm not living out of a tent, but a small side of a mountain near starter for now until time to join a serious deed.  I'm hoping someone doesn't deed over me in my temp spot, but I don't mind finding somewhere else if someone really wants the area.

It's a community game so try working with people since you'll probably need to work together later in the game.  Unless they the other faction, then of course set fire to their cotton tents.

• Like 4

Tent deeding? Is this a new thing?

You can't deed with tents, just because you drop one down it doesn't become your deed. Non villagers also can't drop tents on your deed.

I don't see any issue here...? 

If you deeded over someone's tent then tell them to move, if they don't, then KOS them. 

Edited by atazs

Yes, it is a thing now. Many of the players on the northern isles are dropping tents, terraforming, etc, claiming land, especially along the shores. I rode past them, but there were some spots I *REALLY* wanted to deed that had a tent, and sometimes a bit of terraforming.

I moved on. I deeded in the middle of nowhere, for the first time not being near water. I figured if I don't like it I can always move. I've done it a few times in the past ;)

• Like 3

If on a PvP server historically it's been very common to kill anyone and everyone that's not in your group.
If you set up a tent spot you will surely get killed, join a group!

11 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I got the impression that it was less that they wanted that specific spot, then that they were against F2P players having an undeeded homestead.

The "official" stance to my understanding is, unpaid homesteads are allowed but they are risky because another person could deed over your work. Is that person deeding over an a-hole? Probably if he deeds there ONLY because he is upset about a free player building there, and wouldn't have deeded there except to "teach them a lesson". It's a little jerky but it is legal to deed over them. "Deed It Or Lose It" is the wurm mantra.

Remember, some of them may be people not sure yet whether to invest money into the game, especially with lag, It may be they are giving it a month free and then deciding. Or ...   it may be that they lost their job due to coronavirus, have an eviction notice on their IRL apartment, had their grandfather die of COVID-19 in the past month, and being able to play Wurm for free is the only bright spot in their life right now. We really don't know anything about other people's circumstances.

Remember, even F2P players "add to the game" simply by being here. Other players -- paying or not -- are the best "free" content in the game.  They cost developers almost nothing and they keep other players here who CAN and WILL spend money as long as the game has an active and happy playerbase. Free to play players are an integral part of the community.  Deliberately chasing them all away as "damn freeloaders" only puts Wurm right back into  a bad state of game, where people are leaving because people are leaving, and the Steam launch was in fact advertised as a "free to play' game, not as a "free limited trial" game.

11 hours ago, Mclavin said:

Just kill them all

the duality of man

• Like 1

I think most of us started playing the game without a deed at some point. Remember, there are a lot of newbies out there at the moment and they might not know about deeds and the "deed it or lose it" mantra yet.

I have a neighbor who did not know how to plant a deed and of course he just put his tent down and started mining and terraforming - that's what the game is about. Find a spot you like and settle. And before you can build a house, you need to skill up and gather ressources - so a tent is all you have to store your stuff in at first and to respawn at a specific location. I don't think they expect to own the place, they are just playing the game.

Edited by Cayce
  • Like 5
  • Cat 1

10 hours ago, ChampagneDragon said:

Yes, it is a thing now. Many of the players on the northern isles are dropping tents, terraforming, etc, claiming land, especially along the shores. I rode past them, but there were some spots I *REALLY* wanted to deed that had a tent, and sometimes a bit of terraforming.

I moved on. I deeded in the middle of nowhere, for the first time not being near water. I figured if I don't like it I can always move. I've done it a few times in the past ;)

You cant claim land with tents... Just deed over them

Maybe people could also let them know that if they really need to play free, they might find a more tolerant environment for free players on the Southern Freedom Islands, where most servers have wide open land and low populations, and so there will be less hard feelings in general about using real estate that paying customers can (and will) claim over them.

Yes it means they would have to start over again with a "new" character, but they would probably be welcomed with open arms by the communities on the lower pop servers.

Same exact game, but a much different situation in regards to competition and fighting over land.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Cayce said:

I think most of us started playing the game without a deed at some point. Remember, there are a lot of newbies out there at the moment and they might not know about deeds and the "deed it or lose it" mantra yet.

I have a neighbor who did not know how to plant a deed and of course he just put his tent down and started mining and terraforming - that's what the game is about. Find a spot you like and settle. And before you can build a house, you need to skill up and gather ressources - so a tent is all you have to store your stuff in at first and to respawn at a specific location. I don't think they expect to own the place, they are just playing the game.

This

My first "deed" was a 5x5 hedged area that I lucked upon ... had a forge and a bed!!!! 

Still took me a couple of days to find iron near my spot that wasn't a death trap to access.  And a bit over a week to realize that that was NOT "my deed" at all and that "deeding" involved a process (buying the deed paper back then) and certain mechanics.

If in that first couple of days someone had expelled me with a leeter-than-thou "deed it or lose it", odds are 50-50 regarding whether i'd have found a new spot or a new game altogether.

Time to shine, Wurm community.  Or rather, time to decide:

-  Be decent about it, if you REALLY want the spot, talk to the newbie first.  Or alternatively, deed over it, but help the guy find an equally good spot.  Or alternatively, be damn cool about it and let the newbie hang around 'til it can cart up and explore more safely.  Edit:  Either way, a quick 2-minute standard "Why deeding is beneficial" explanation is definitely worth doing.

OR

-  Be the elite!  Pour all your elite scorn upon the non-elite scum who were not born knowing everything about Wurm, expel their lowly hides from the lands of the elite!  Then start another thread about how Wurm is dying and the population is so low and spread thin that it feels like a one player game.

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 9
  • Cat 1

A solution would be to have a window pop up when you drop your tent warning you about claiming lands with tents, similiar to how you are warned about thievery when you drop an item for the first time. 

This warns them beforehand, so people shouldn't feel bad deeding over their tents. 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 4

Also do not forget if you deed over someone's "freefolk homestead", you might end up not only antagonizing them (they'll probably leave the area anyway), but may also end up with permanently hostile neighbors if they were friends with or simply feel bad for their evicted neighbor, who they may have grown to know and like while working side by side.  Although I imagine having neighbors who intensely dislike you, and will be hostile towards everything you do,  may not be that big of an issue for some people. Perhaps it has always happened everywhere they go, and simply does not bother them in the least.

Like it or not, "tent deeders" are a part of the community, and as such what happens to them will color many other people's impressions and reactions, so nothing is really consequence free no matter one's own philosophy on the matter. The law of course will always be on the side of people who have paid for a legally protected deed. But simply following laws does not automatically make you an upstanding citizen.  There is a major difference obviously between playing on a PVE or a PVP server.

We already get a popup window if we start a building on land we have not deeded, but i think another popup window for placing tents as Atazs suggests may not be a bad idea either, much like the one for dropping items ("theft warning").

• Like 2

I've seen a lot of asshats abuse the "deed it or lose it" mentality; especially over things like public mines and public gardens.

I get that the devs want people to deed (income!), but there is a time and a place and that time is definitely not when your top review on steam is shafting the game due to free play limitations.

Lets go for a stronger stance, prevent deeding over a tent whose player has logged in during the last week.  Nice, simple, no-one loses.

12 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Lets go for a stronger stance, prevent deeding over a tent whose player has logged in during the last week.  Nice, simple, no-one loses.

Too much potential for abuse with unlimited alts.

• Like 2

So the main problem is the Tower System!  

Of Course you see tents because it's taking days to set up the towers to where people want to put their deeds in the meantime we are all camped out around the starter zone!

So yes I do think its a ###### thing to deed over people camped out near the start.

However if its some decent distance from the start and that tent is in the way of where you have been planning to deed then that's certainly a different story!

As has been said already, it's worth at least trying to talk to the tent owner, especially if there's evidence that they've been there a while (pen, fields, terraforming, etc). Although the servers can sometimes feel a bit crowded, there is plenty of space on all of them, so just go a little further before you drop your deed, and a bit of playing nice and not ruining someone else's experience really doesn't cost you anything.

• Like 5

As many people have already hit on, there's no real need to ask the "official" stance on this, it's hard-built into the game; deed it, or (potentially) lose it.

But are you an "ahole" for deeding over a spot that someone has only claimed with a tent? The answer is going to vary based on context, but if you're coming at it with a confrontational "can I get away with this?" kind of attitude, I would say "quite possibly." In almost any case, at least trying to discuss it with the other person is the civil response. Any appeal to the "official" response is an appeal to the power of authority over reasonable discourse between individuals; it can be justified, but understand that you are wielding that power as a weapon against the other person, effectively. Ask yourself, would I want that power wielded against me in this fashion if the situation was reversed, would I consider that just and deserved?

And so, the hypothetically most-civil response while still invoking deed-it-or-lose-it, IMO, would be to take the time to explain how to claim the area to the tent-deeder, and give them a window of time to decide whether or not they are willing to foot the cost; if they do not claim it in that time, they can expect you to do so. And as many have noted, be willing to offer the squatter a place in your settlement if they seem decent enough :)

• Like 1