Sign in to follow this  
Rhystan

Spear fishing very difficult - need food

Hi All, new player from the Steam launch.

The tutorial references spear fishing as a way to get food, but it's a little frustrating and difficult. I have spent a rather large amount of time trying to get food by spear fishing, and it's really kind of overly difficult. The new player areas are very short on food sources, they are over foraged and there are basically no living creatures to hunt for food. People have said to use nets, but I have foraged for hours and not found any of this mystical "Wemp", only cotton, to make the net people speak of needing. I just want to eat. The food part of this game is extremely difficult for a new player, especially when the food guy cuts you off with no warning. 

It is my understanding the fishing game was developed by a much beloved developer who is no longer with us, and I am sorry to hear that. But I would please kindly ask that you look at the new player food situation, because you really have a big opportunity with the steam release to pick up subscribers, but I feel like the food situation is needlessly frustrating. Anything you could to do help would be appreciated.

Sincerely, 

Hungry

• Like 2

Eating as a new player can be difficult. Keep in mind that you will not die from lack of food or water but it is good to keep those needs filled. Best of luck.

Agreed spear fishing sucks. I think a lot of the time, the fish only appear underneath the sand ground.

Good way to start is with fishing net (start with 2 strings of cloth, shaft and rope)

I feed myself by foraging and botanizing, I keep crop items for farming and herb items for planters (because the sooner I get these started the better), but I set aside for food all mushrooms, berries, sassafras/nettles, and other "ungrowables", as well as meat off easily killable things like cats and pigs. I also collect milk for cheese off sheep, cows and female bison, either penned or just ones I pass roaming (although you do need to locate a bladder to make a cheese drill). Cheese can end up making up a large part of my diet since i can milk any penned animals several times a day.  Casseroles and Breakfasts can be cooked in a rude campfire, although combining the right items gets a little tricky; you can't use berries and mushrooms together, so you need to use Lore regularly to see what combinations will make a casserole (one foraged item + one botanized item, sometimes filled out with meat)  

While the newbie buffs are still active, these small casseroles can easily keep me fed.

By the time the newbie buffs end, I hopefully am well on my way to having a building with an oven, farming pumpkins and potatoes, which all can be turned into Breakfast, another easy and nutritious food for beginners. Even a single potato in a bowl makes a small Breakfast (although farming initially is a huge time drain until you are decently settled in), making it easier to "spam" many small breakfasts to get to Hot Food Cooking level 10. Food at level 10 or higher seems to suddenly give much better benefits.  Once I am settled in I am hopefully also planting a potted herb garden using planter racks. Chopped herbs give food a very good boost if you are trying to fill the CCFP bars (calories, carbs, fats and proteins) which in turn can act as a buff for keeping your food water stamina and favor bars high.

I completely gave up on fishing after the skill overhaul a year or two ago. Fishing used to be a fantastic way for newbies to stay fed, but now it is more of a sport for higher level players. I have tried net fishing and other "easy" types of fishing, and always ended up regretting the time and resources spent on them. I think the fishing tutorial is less to helop new players stay fed, than to simply explain the changeover in fishing techniques for returning players. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Fishing net is much easier. Mix fish with veggie in bowl and I believe you’ll get a breakfast (or other meat)

Play on the old servers. Plenty of food to be had. Also the existing player base would love to have you with them.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, armyskin said:

Play on the old servers. Plenty of food to be had. Also the existing player base would love to have you with them.

Yep.  I created my character in the North, ported over to Melody, and will now probably leave it to sit for a while before going back to begin wandering.  Harmony around the spawn is already very difficult to forage or hunt, and while melody is a bit better, basic food foraging is already frustrating close to spawn. 

In Release my FSB stands very nearly full, and there are farms and outdoor FSB's all over the place in my village.  That is in addition to foraging an hunting, which ironically are much less depleted on the older servers.

Edited by TheTrickster

Traditionally, early game finshing on wurm used to be VERY easy (a lot of players lived on the fish they made), and it provided an almost weightless way to find food for the night.

Given that new players are not deed holders, and may not want to join an existing deed, a lightweight fishing option that doesn't require a lot of tools to produce would seem in order.

• Like 1