Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

Is It Moot To Have PVE Travel Restrictions?

What chance does a new pve player have in an established economy? Or new PvP players have in old chaos?

Nobody hates old players on old servers, this narrative seems forced. People hate the idea of having their efforts be meaningless. People just want to play the game man. Be happy for the game, I'm proud of the direction they took for this launch.

In my village alone we have 3 veterans and 7 new players. They don't seem so isolated to me. Plenty of veterans are playing here, it's tons of fun. I can understand not wanting to start over, but for me MMOs are about social interaction and that needs to happen more when you have slow skill, specialized in one craft population

Frankly, I hope the servers never merge. Or if they do, it's like 3 years down the line.

Edited by Garnetstar
  • Like 2

I'm an "old" player, although some of you still consider me newish ;) I have MANY MANY 90+ skill on the southern islands. I have rare this, rare that, all the goodies. I am currently spending the majority of my time on the northern islands.

Why? Why stand on a beach in the middle of nowhere because I finally found a horse (I have dozens of horses on my main, all with 5-6 great traits). Standing there so I can spend four hours building a large cart to hitch it to, only to realize I do not have the mind logic to command it. SPending another couple of hours imping pottery bowls just for the mind logic. Why put myself through this again?

1) I do believe it helps those of us who are vocal about the game we love remember what it is like to go through the new experience. The forums are ALWAYS full of opinion, mine included, about what would save this game. Our vision becomes jaded after years of grinding, playing, accumulating..

2) Exploration. I spent two days wandering all around the coast. Two days, no roads, no player made map to keep me on track. Then BAM, I saw it. It wasn't what I was looking for. It was THE place! I hurried dropped my deed. Then realized I could do nothing without some nails.. so spent a couple hours finding my way back to a starter. Made nails, made a few tools while at it, then headed back to my deed. Now I can't find it. Seriously, spent like 6 hours lost in the woods. (note, when building a deed on uncharted lands the middle of nowhere really isn't the best choice). It reminded me of when I was brand new to riding a horse in Wurm the first time. I set off to explore. I got lost somewhere in southern Indy. @Beanbag, whom I was sharing a deed with, told me "you got yourself there, you get yourself home". I spent days trying to find my way back. That feeling of accomplishment was amazing.

3) Because burnout is real. This is definitely a cure for that. 

4) I can play a different playstyle. I have gotten myself so wrapped up in "routine" on Indy that everything is 'easy mode". Now I can be a hermit who lives in the middle of nowhere. No massive farm. No market. No alliance projects. Just casual, chill play.

ALL of these things go away when you combine the northern and southern islands.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, ChampagneDragon said:

*snip*

Sounds like something I would say. 

There's no substitute for the new server experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eyesgood said:

My reason for this thread was centered around the business decision that drives CC to isolate new players since this is something I haven't seen in any other MMO that I have played. 

New players can choose where they go after the tutorial. It's the servers, not the players, that are being isolated.

This is actually the norm in MMO's that have multiple servers. It's very unusual to have the freedom to travel between different servers like we do in Wurm, with the exception of the new ones.

Edit: thought I was adding to my previous post 😕

Edited by Beanbag

Don't think anyone deny the merits of a fresh start and all that jazz, but are you going to tell this same to a new player few month or a year from now when they enocunter swiss cheese of a server, or do you tell them to suck it up

Old... New... North... South... PVP... PVE... We wouldn't be here commenting, playing Wurm if we would like this amazing game.

Im having fun on Harmony and Melody. Half building a deed and half traveling about the islands.

While I am grinding a few necessary skills somewhat (building a rowing boat right now), I know I will never have the time or energy to again grind to levels that equal my main on Xana. And that is fine.

Eventually, I will probably have enough of this noob life and go back to the old main.

My hope is that when the steam launch settles into some kind normality, the devs will throw the old players a bone and create a Harmony-like server in the old cluster. So we get a fresh new server to go to with our old mains. That new server experience is always the best part of the game and we havent had a new server since Xana was launched in 2014.

Yes, yes. I know the argument against a new server is that it will dilute the player base even further. But the player base on the old islands is already spred so thin that it wont matter IMO.

Edited by griper
edit because of ocd

I support the decision to keep the Northern and Southern clusters separate, at least for a few years, so that the new servers have an opportunity to develop organically, without the influence that characters who already have "end-game" content would bring to the table.

I do want to speak up in defence of the "old" server cluster, however, against the argument that no one wants to enter an old world full of buildings and ruins where they're inevitably going to be years, or even a decade or more, behind veteran players. Having only been playing off and on for a couple of years, the case could have been made that a "fresh start" might give me a better chance against other players. And that'd probably matter more if "winning" in a PvP sense were a priority for me. But the thing that brought me to Wurm in the first place was it being a world that had organically built its own history through years of player interactions, buildings going up and falling down, with real stories instead of narratives written by game designers. And the memories I have and friendships I've made are things I can enjoy instead of being in a race with other players to be the "best" at something.

There's a tonne of good reasons to check out the new servers, and I have no arguments to make against doing so. But there are reasons for new players to come and check out the Old World too. I'm in no rush, but I do hope that they open travel one day so that I can come and explore the New World being built as well :) 

• Like 3

One plus to the Olde Worldes (I always think of Europe vs America, with so many of the young people running off to America in the 1800s, while the deep history and tradition in the the home countries -- many of them didn't want to "start over" either!) is that the population there is really really happy to see you.

That means there is perhaps less push and tumble, competition, dog eat dog than on the new servers, and a more relaxed atmosphere with perhaps more "space" and less "hustle bustle".

Which can be a very attractive selling point to many! Not everyone want a lot of activity going on everywhere at all times.

Probably already been done, I have not followed steam forums too closely, but it might be helpful to have a couple of "Reasons To Pick the Southern Freedom Servers if You Are New"  just so new people know there are some good arguments, even if the majority want the fresh start. Just a minority  5-10% opting the other way could be beneficial to everyone.

But I still think separated, fresh start servers are the key to making this Steam launch work

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1