Sign in to follow this  
Wurmfarm

Make Bedroll (sleeping bag) useful

Currently the material requirement for sleeping bag is so insane that it is only ever useful as a decoration.

it takes like over 200 materials to make one.

early game its too difficult to aquire that much wool easier to make a bed.

late game you probablay already have a place to sleep or max sleep bonus or a place to go home.

- Sleeping bag should be an alternative before you can make a bed. (this is how it is in most games and makes sense)

- another option would be to add a "primitive bedroll" that gives low sleep bonus like 30% but is easy to make like 20-30 items. (does not require loom , spinning wheel fleet of sheep)

Edited by Wurmfarm
  • Like 7

It takes about 3x the amount of materials a tent makes atm...

If anything, crafted bedroll should increase in SB as you improve QL (up to day max of 90% at 90+). Why would you nerf sleepbonus gain but leave 100% on festive? On the new servers, I’m trying out a nomadic play style (after starting in a village to get a base level of skill/gear). 75% will still do the job for me, but still incentivize sleeping in inns if one is around (but a reward for working hard to skill up to imp bedroll would be nice). 

I agree a primitive option would be nice for earlier crafting (maybe straight up raw wool, strings of cloth) with like 25-50% bonus. 

56 minutes ago, Wurmfarm said:

Currently the material requirement for sleeping bag is so insane that it is only ever useful as a decoration.

indeed

• Like 1

For early game material requirement is insane but once you have herd of sheep it's fine. I have 40+ sheep atm and dont see problem with wool, except i dont use it and bsb fills up fast.

Other problem i have is you can't add in chunk of strings instead you have to add them seperately, same with other pieces. Just creating it takes too long compared to other items.

Edited by Martynas5

+1 
I've seen this, or versions of this, come up over and over again! 
We need an early-game way to access a temporary and/or portable sleeping bonus. Sleeping bag, bedroll, tent.... heck, a new craftable "pile of hay" that's just made from a stack of grass and a leggat or something. We'll take reduced bonus, we'll take it any way we can... just, give the nomads and the freefolk and the newbies something other than "there are free beds at Haven's Landing" 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Martynas5 said:

For early game material requirement is insane but once you have herd of sheep it's fine. I have 40+ sheep atm and dont see problem with wool, except i dont use it and bsb fills up fast.

Other problem i have is you can't add in chunk of strings instead you have to add them seperately, same with other pieces. Just creating it takes too long compared to other items.

once you have a herd of 40 sheep do you really need a bedroll you probabaly have a nice cozy home and max sleep bonus or a cabin with a bed somewhere. thats the points its basically decorative cause no real use as its intended purpose.

It should Either be made easier and add less sleep bonus.

or add a rustic version made form more raw materials. 

Edited by Wurmfarm
  • Like 2

initial idea for these was to have a mobile bed, but them being not easy to make or maintain(if you don't have the skill), is just a motivation to use a normal bed in a structure instead;

There's a collectible item that gives 100% sleep bonus as normal bed.. and there is a craftable recipe which gives 50 or 75%(lazy to check atm)

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

initial idea for these was to have a mobile bed, but them being not easy to make or maintain(if you don't have the skill), is just a motivation to use a normal bed in a structure instead;

There's a collectible item that gives 100% sleep bonus as normal bed.. and there is a craftable recipe which gives 50 or 75%(lazy to check atm)

yeah i feel like the craftable one shoudl be broken down into a "Patchwork Bedroll" and a "Fine Bedroll" once who gives people who dont have a house>loom>bear/wolf> etc etc gives them somethign to start with

Agreed. Bedroll should offer a less than but still useful alternative to bed.

Surely you'd want something similar for tents as well then (since they are a real pain to make)?

Splitting bedrolls sounds like a good idea, no need to punish new players too much.

The materials that go into a bedroll are ridiculous.  Currently, the effort of crafting a bedroll deserves more than 75% of a bed's SB.

Split off a swag, like the traditional one, basically a canvas and a blanket - squares of cloth and wool cloth like the current bedroll but much fewer of both - a bedroll should NOT have more cloth than a tent - say 5 or 6 of each, and leather strips should only be 2, not 8. Give 50 or 60 percent of a bed's SB.

EDIT: Actually, drop the wool cloth, just have cotton (i.e. plain cotton, inside 2 cotton sheets - a basic blanket).  A spinning wheel to to turn wool into yarn is well beyond a newbie's abilities.

Edited by TheTrickster
wool-free recipe
  • Like 2

Bump.

Did some counting, bedroll needs near 300 actions to create, which is way more than any other furniture/deco.

• Like 1

i used to sleep in other peoples beds for ages every were u go theres spare beds in houses , a yr later i built a bed roll its supposed to be hard u enjoy more if u made it , and they are good sale item for that reason , no to making it easy , i still sleep at other peoples homes aswell on every old server no probs . u leave were u dropped tent now n again thats sad had to go back to a rift on other server miles away  to pick it up once. if there a dime a dozen guess it would of been easy .no adventure nothing todo

Bump because this is really needed.  A bedrool should be be all cotton and a couple of leather belts.

It should also be independent of tents.  In other words, the requirement to have it near a tent or house should be dropped, or at least maybe have being near a tent or house give a buff to sleep bonus.  Where I come from, a swag is often used instead of a tent rather than in a tent.

Should be able to use them in any boat larger than a small sailboat.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2020 at 9:56 AM, christopher said:

. if there a dime a dozen guess it would of been easy .no adventure nothing todo

splitting an item or object into different tiers of difficulty / reward does not decrease demand & value for those items that remain top-tier. 

let a cheap version of a useable bedroll exist, and more people might move about (go off deed?! what is that insanity!!)   - the quick n' easy version wont provide as much sleep bonus, only enough to make it a useful item. The detailed, extensive version that provides almost bed-level sleep bonus would still exist, and would still sell well. Especially for those Wurmians who play nomads, or live on their boats, etc. 

PS - sleeping in spare beds & guest rooms is all well and good... but not every island provides a steady stream of traveler accommodations along roadways and out in the wild. Accessible bedrolls would mean that the traveler is able to plan and prepare properly for their journey, rather than gambling on the hospitality of others. 

• Like 2

+ 1 From me as well.

I agree crazy amount of mats even for established players and I also support the 'noob' version that gives 50% SB made from Cotton and Ropes.

I use mine a lot going to Rifts, events, or even camping out at the clay pit.

I was also Surprised that I could not use it in a house.   I was setting up my new deed and hadn't made a bed yet and tried it.  If it works in or near a tent a house should work as well.

They could make it 30% for Newb version and 50% for deluxe edition without a house or tent and it would still incentive people to upgrade adding a tent when they could plus the tenet respawn ability is enough to make people want them anyway.