Sign in to follow this  
Calimdor

So much new players ...

But what about us old players on pre steam servers ... My deed and all my toons live since Xanadu was released on the huge laggy server. Now with steam release Xandu is still laggy but also empty! Are there any plans to help us old players or do we have to wait until the servers will merge and live on a derserted server until then?

I think we are getting more players on the server. I've seen several lately that have come to Xanadu from the new servers because of the lag/issues they were having. I've also seen players returning after a long absence. True, i wish we had a few more players. 200-400 would be nice. Personally I'm OCD and couldnt handle someone else in my village messing with things.. but having a neighbor up the road would be cool.

• Like 1

Ohh do I want to settle new lands or move into the ruins of some guys village?

sinple really

28 minutes ago, Faneto said:

Ohh do I want to settle new lands or move into the ruins of some guys village?

sinple really

Ruins of some guys village ... there is more free space on Xanadu then on the new servers ....

Edited by Calimdor

cool, then I can compete with people who have been playing for 10 years. Yea man, that sounds like a blast.

35 minutes ago, Faneto said:

cool, then I can compete with people who have been playing for 10 years. Yea man, that sounds like a blast.

That is what you are doing now. Who do you think planted 99% of the new deeds and who will grind and reach any skill many times faster than new players?

Telling yourself anything different is just self delusion.

• Like 3

I don't think any of this is conducive to any ongoing and friendly discussion. 

The Southern Freedom Isles are still accessible via the portals, but we won't be looking at connections any time soon. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

I don't think any of this is conducive to any ongoing and friendly discussion. 

The Southern Freedom Isles are still accessible via the portals, but we won't be looking at connections any time soon. 

How would you know that? It's that Code Club official position or just your personal thoughts?

39 minutes ago, archer said:

How would you know that? It's that Code Club official position or just your personal thoughts?

It is our official position that we aren't looking at connecting Northern and Southern Freedom Isles anytime soon. 

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, archer said:

It's his job bruh

• Like 2

omg, this entire line of thinking is erroneous! it rests on a faulty premise. 

(1) there ARE NO "steam servers"
There are only Wurm servers. There is one Wurm Online launcher that signs you in & takes you to your servers. There are 2 ways to access the launcher. One is directly from a link on your PC that you downloaded from the WurmOnline website. The other way is by signing into your Steam account, going to your library, and clicking the game link "Play" that will.... open the WurmOnline launcher. The exact same one, for the one, unified game that everyone is playing. 

(2) Old Characters
Old characters, made before a steam access point, have not changed at all. Use the WO launcher to sign in as your character & play the game. Don't like where you are living? BUILD A BOAT AND MOVE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. Since WO launched new servers at the same time as they launched the steam connection, "old characters" are also automatically part of the Southern Isles in the Freedom Kingdom. Any - ANY - characters made in WO now & going forward go to the same tutorial server (Golden Valley) and are all equally provided with the chance to chose a PVP life or a PVE life - and whether that life will be in Epic, Freedom's Southern Isles, or the new Northern Freedom Islands. 

(3) North & South 
Right now, for many practical reasons, there are rocky waters and magically-influenced storms in the seas between the Northern Islands and the Southern Isles, making all the shipping routes too dangerous for passage right now. North and South are not connected, and we play with that until told otherwise. But if you want access to the Northern Islands, you - like everyone else - can make a new character to go explore the new lands. There are ways to help each other move silver from your in-game money satchels to a new character in the North, much that it will help you up there with no economic infrastructure set up. In Wurm, all things are possible, it just takes time and effort. 

You can use BOTH the link directly to the WO launcher and the link via Steam to create a new character... just be aware that characters are linked to which ever method you pick. "Old" character A made while using a direct link will always need to be accessed via the direct link, while you might decide to make new character "B" after signing into Steam and connecting to the WO launcher that way. Character B will always need to be accessed via the Steam connection. Can I explain why that's how it's set up? Naw, y'all, I just play here - but there has been extensive Q&A with the community leading up to now to explain all of these things. If you haven't been paying attention, that's on you, not the devs, not the GMs, not the volunteers currently working their butts off, and certainly not on Retrograde. 

(4) Why bother with Steam? 

Since there aren't "steam servers" AND either type of connection leads to the exact same launcher, AND any new character has equal opportunity to settle on any island from now on.... What's so special about Steam connections? ... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. If - and only if - you  already have a Steam account, and if - and only if - you want to be able to have access to Steam chat and your Steam friend's list, and Steam points while playing WO - then - and only then -does it make sense to use the Steam connection to play WO from now on.

• If your main is an "old" character and you don't want to start and alt or start all over with a new main... stay with the WO launcher you've always been using
• If you want to explore the Northern Islands, just to see the sights but not necessarily to settle there, just make a freebie alt and pick the new islands and go on a brief vacation from your main in the South. 
• If you have been thinking about creating an alt, maybe a priest you've always wanted - now might be a fun time to start it. BUT you have to be aware that we have no estimate if / when the storms will subside and our boats will have passage between the North & the South. 
• If you have Stream, and you want to be connected to Steam while you play WO from now on, I'm sorry - but, yes, you will need to make a new character while running Steam and "start again." That's just the way it goes down. You have the freedom to decide if it's worth it to you

(5) Yes I am a B-word. 
Sorry if I'm being super snippy right now (notsorry) - but I'm seeing one of my favorite games (WO, duh) getting review bombed on Steam as we speak - mostly from disgruntled ex-players or from current players who didn't pay attention to any of the info that we've had access to for the past, idk, month. I created a Steam character just the other day to go explore the North just for fun - and I cannot tell you how many new players (or old players who have just been living with their head buried in the steppe) who are simply standing around in the tutorial area begging for someone to hold their hand. That's not Wurm, it's never been Wurm, and the WO devs, GMs, and volunteers are swamped. Most of their questions could be easily answered if the player just  completed the tutorial and used their eyes. Most of the questions on CA Help and here in the forums could be easily answered by paying attention and making even the smallest effort to answer your own questions for yourself. 

(6) GO PLAY WURM ALREADY
Why are you still here? You're blathering pessimistically on the forums when you could be in Wurm solving your problems, finding your answers, and playing this awesome game. GO THERE. 

Edited by Amata
  • Like 11

3 minutes ago, Amata said:

5) Yes I am a B-word. 
Sorry if I'm being super snippy right now (notsorry) - but I'm seeing one of my favorite games (WO, duh) getting review bombed on Steam as we speak - mostly from disgruntled ex-players or from current players who didn't pay attention to any of the info that we've had access to for the past, idk, month. I created a Steam character just the other day to go explore the North just for fun - and I cannot tell you how many new players (or old players who have just been living with their head buried in the steppe) who are simply standing around in the tutorial area begging for someone to hold their hand. That's not Wurm, it's never been Wurm, and the WO devs, GMs, and volunteers are swamped. Most of their questions could be easily answered if the player just  completed the tutorial and used their eyes. Most of the questions on CA Help and here in the forums could be easily answered by paying attention and making even the smallest effort to answer your own questions for yourself

I'm right there with you!!

I keep trying to help new players. Repeatedly telling them to do the tutorial, pressing the fact that they get sleep bonus from it. I even tell them, I have done it, despite having many, many hours in Wurm.  And then I give them the link to Wurmpedia. Then they ask how do you turn on climb...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wulfgar said:

That is what you are doing now. Who do you think planted 99% of the new deeds and who will grind and reach any skill many times faster than new players?

Telling yourself anything different is just self delusion.

Yes, but aside from the game knowledge, the skill gap isnt a decade long ocean

Just a slight correction about the new first time logging in process...

For a couple days, new players were spawned in walled-off deed on Golden Valley.  This was at the start of a huge rush, opening day, and the result was the login server (Golden Valley) being overwhelmed. 

The fix was to change that, so a brand new tutorial server, Haven, was created for those logging in for the very first time.  Haven has a small woodcutting and dirt-digging area for you to get the hang of how the game works, but the key is that you then use a portal there to choose which server area you actually want to start playing in. 

But having Golden Valley as the starting server was what led to alot of problems opening day that affected not just the new servers, but the older ones as well.

Changing away from that was a good move and with Haven as the new-spawn server, the resources of the login server are no longer affected so much.

Note that those who logged in for the first time when Golden Valley was the server characters were created on, for that first day or two of when the Steam client was made available, might still be there on Golden Valley now if they've not chosen a portal to transfer to a playable server through.  So Golden Valley's new players are still being supported by the Wurm Online team and are encouraged to advance onwards into the server selection portal and the adventure site of their choice.

Edited by Tristanc

6 hours ago, Faneto said:

compete at what lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Faneto said:

Yes, but aside from the game knowledge, the skill gap isnt a decade long ocean

There is a very small core of players who've spent a lot of time digging around wurm unlimited's code, maybe having the odd conversation with a dev (or ex dev), or have experimented extensively for half a decade or more on skillgain tricks.

Those players can, and will, outskill the competition since they've mastered the core game mechanic (skillgain).

Now it certainly isn't a decade-long skillgap (that's not really an issue, the real issue would be legacy characters who were able to cheese massive skillgains in ways that have now been removed), but it's definitely not a flat field.

4 hours ago, kochinac said:
11 hours ago, Faneto said:

compete at what lol

does anyone know how to win at Wurm?
asking for a friend. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Amata said:

does anyone know how to win at Wurm?
asking for a friend. 

No longer possible, they removed old personal goal system where you received title winner and replaced it with journal system :P

But yeah seriously I think there is more "competition" on new servers currently than on old ones...

If by competing they refer to market I can't think of any other competitive aspect (well hunting uniques but skills doesn't matter there) on pve, even though I have some extraordinary skills(been playing for 6 years) I'm too burn out and tired to compete with any newb, just wanna play game at my own pace and achieve goals I made to myself. Even though you have a lot of good skills you don't have time to be serious compatitor in all of them in market + what you earn by imping is not worth wasting your time when you can do other fun stuff. And with RMT removed what's even the point, even less initiative to participate market. So please spare me newb paranoia that all old accounts are threat to them. 

Would actually recommend all new players who wanna enjoy game on more peacfull and relaxed way to come to old servers instead of new ones.

• Like 1

Erf Amanta nothing wrong with your text no clue why you wrote it but seems fine for me ... what I want to say is I played Wurm since 2013 sometimes alone sometimes with friends. I had a deed on almost every server paid a fortune for upkeep and subscription worked on many projects had good and bad times. Now I'm sitting on a server that is dead, had during the last days a peak of 90 players during my playtime, at first that sounds OK but we all know that in reality those 90 players are maybe 50 real players and the rest are boxed priests and on Xanadu those 100 players are a joke I could walk for 2-3 hours without seeing a single player in the local.

So what can I do now?

Sure I could trash my old deed and characters and start all over again grind my self to death to be able to enjoy the game again. The problem is that I have a real life I can't play 24/7 and I love my deed that is far from finished same for my characters I love to be an all round character grinding a few basic skills is not a problem but grinding all the skills to be self sustaining is hard work especially when you play only a few hours a day. It just feels bad for me I love the fact that Wurm gets some love and allot of new players but it feels at least to me that there are now 2 games, even when they are the same game. On one site we have the new islands and on the other site we have the old ones where everybody moves away and those who can't move can stay there and pay there upkeep and subscription to live on a dying world. 

Ah and to answer Faneto, do your really think that you have an advantage on the new server, the skilled players that moved form the old Island to the new Island will be able to sell you a 80 QL sword with enchants before you will be able to make your first decent meal, and thrust me you will make the bad deal on the new servers because they will cost a fortune there!

Edited by Calimdor

7 hours ago, Calimdor said:

Amanta nothing wrong with your text no clue why you wrote it ...

I was directly responding to your original post. (And, now, also your recent post that pretty much just reiterated your original points). 
Let me demonstrate - you said: 

On 7/27/2020 at 7:40 AM, Calimdor said:

players on pre steam servers

So I wanted to first address the premise that there are "Steam" servers that somehow divide WO into two different games with different players...

On 7/27/2020 at 1:02 PM, Amata said:

omg, this entire line of thinking is erroneous! it rests on a faulty premise. 

(1) there ARE NO "steam servers"
There are only Wurm servers.

Then you said: 

help us old players

So I commented on the perception of "old" characters, rather than just "Wurm characters" 

(2) Old Characters ...

Next, you said: 

do we have to wait until the servers will merge

So I talked about the current separation between North and South Freedom islands, and the perception that we (players) somehow don't have completely equal access to both...  

(3) North & South 

I'll admit, I tossed in point (4) as an extra - hopefully clarifying - addition. I felt it was germane to the discussion, and is also a parallel aspect of confusion that speaks to the core of the "Wurm vs Steam" "old characters vs new" and "steam server vs Wurm server" misunderstandings running rampant recently. 

(4) Why bother with Steam? 

Since there aren't "steam servers" AND either type of connection leads to the exact same launcher, AND any new character has equal opportunity to settle on any island from now on.... What's so special about Steam connections? ... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

As for this section.... 

(5) Yes I am a B-word. 
Sorry if I'm being super snippy right now (notsorry)

I was trained in research in social sciences, and it's just kinda a habit for me now to always include an acknowledgement of my own possible biases and/or emotional content as well as personal perspectives. I wanted to make it clear that I am perfectly aware that I'm not pulling punches and my tone is definitely not polite right now. This section included some information about my "methodology" (there's that stupid research training again) - my responses and points were made resting on actual game play experience I had creating and playing a new character in the North as well as my time spent in the forums and in Wurm preparing for the server launch and the Steam release. The very last aspect of this section is my honest awareness that the video game / PC game industry as a whole has a track record of lashing out on a personal level to gamers who are female and are also making statements from experience and/or criticisms. Wurm Online, although a much, much, better environment, is not wholly exempt from this underlying issue between male or masculine identified players and female or femme identified players. (That is, I fully anticipated that I'd take some punches for writing what I wrote - that I'd be called some nasty words, and I thought I'd go ahead and get it preemptively taken care of myself). 

Like any good critical assessment, we end with a summary conclusion. I felt that the core of your original post was probably this part:  (emphasis mine)

Xandu is still laggy but also empty! Are there any plans to help us old players or do we have to wait until the servers will merge and live on a derserted server until then?

I could have been a bit more clear in my own conclusion, as it was split in 2 parts and the first part was actually addressed in one of the above sections. Namely, this part: 

Don't like where you are living? BUILD A BOAT AND MOVE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. 

And to address your underlying "what-aboutism" - I countered with a statement on equality of access for all Wurm players:

Any - ANY - characters made in WO now & going forward go to the same tutorial server (Golden Valley) and are all equally provided with the chance to chose a PVP life or a PVE life - and whether that life will be in Epic, Freedom's Southern Isles, or the new Northern Freedom Islands. 

And I never end a conclusion without a decisive, final thesis of my own: 

(6) GO PLAY WURM ALREADY
Why are you still here? You're blathering pessimistically on the forums when you could be in Wurm solving your problems, finding your answers, and playing this awesome game. GO THERE. 

Let me end this post in a similar manner:
(1) Yes, I talk and write like this in casual, everyday conversation. That's just my normal speech patterns and my interaction with language; deal with it. 

(2) I do hope this break down has helped provide some clarity for you regarding my comment on your post. If you have any further points, please do bring them up. If you have complaints, you are welcome to PM me about them, or simply write them down on a piece of paper and then put it in the recycle bin where they will be most useful. 

(3) To conclude, in my personal opinion, it is time to shut up and play

• Like 3

Wow, that's a lot of passive aggression. Impressive!

(I'm actually impressed, not being sarcastic or anything like that. Somehow your signature fits perfectly the way you write. Would love to see your twitter if you have one!)

I guess... keep on Wurming!

12 hours ago, archer said:

. Would love to see your twitter if you have one!)

Lol, thank you 😜

I do actually have a Twitter, but it doesn't get much content. I'm part of the geocities > Myspace > live journal > Facebook age group... As such, I've been most active on Facebook (although not as much of late) (because the world is on fire).

There was a time when I could post something on FB & Twitter would crosspost the content, but that disappeared when I wasn't paying attention. 

Currently I'm playing in Wurm to avoid the news, people's reactions to the news, and particularly That Odious Man. So I only get on FB for a peek at friends & fam, to make a quick post, and then to run away to Wurm again. So my FB content isn't as robust as it used to be 😭

I'm also trying to shift from FB to Insta so I can keep in touch with friends while also looking at adorable pics of pets.... But unfortunately, I have discovered that I never take pics, so when I have a post to make I have to run around trying to find something to take a photo of, on purpose, and that is both hilarious and excruciating. 

I also have a YouTube channel or two, but I'm really, really, really, not a YouTuber. 😅

TLDR: I'm actually all over the internet in embarrassing ways. I am more searchable than a relative nobody ought to be. You're welcome to seek me out, if you dare, lol..

Edited by Amata
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Amata said:

(3) To conclude, in my personal opinion, it is time to shut up and play

Your last words where my thoughts after your second line. 

Now after you're two other post I'm sure that you incensed yourself enough so do me a favor and play!

I was just asking if there are any plans to bring some live to the old servers nothing else! I'm pleased that Wurm gets some much needed attention put i would be even happier if there would be also fresh blood in the old world (hope I did not anger someone by saying old world certain people here tend to take everything personal)

If it did sound a bit rough then it might come from the fact then my English skills base on a 1 year education course that I did in my spare time.

For the rest have a nice day and play, I won't cause business in the old world has come close to 0 and yes I have a boat I even sell them so it's not the problem that I am too lazy to sail to other islands.

Edited by Calimdor