Sign in to follow this  
Tek

Cluster Titles and References

Not sure if I am the only one, but I feel like there should be more of a universal naming plan for how things are being named, titled, referenced etc. I get people in the community will call it all kinds of differing things but I think in official sources there should be some sort of uniform use.

Some places use the North Freedom and South Freedom titles, some places use "New" and "Old", and in terms of community names (mostly thinking in terms of the official streams etc) some use "Steam Servers" and "Old Servers" 

To me this just seems a bit confusing, but also after spending upwards of 20 hours in various streams since Friday it seems to be confusing a portion of the new players, but also gives the impression that basically the newer servers are the servers everyone should be on and that the older servers are some old ancient relic and not relevant to the steam world.

I also think having the market forums renamed to "old freedom" can be further implying this idea that it's old in the sense of not relevant.

Some suggestions related to all this that I can think of would be:

- On official wurm places, using the terms "North Freedom" and "South Freedom" universally, rather then things like new or old

- Perhaps split the Freedom Isles Category into two, a North and South with each category having its market area, and then each server having its subforum in the category.

- Maybe some clearer documentation or messaging in general that the North is a new cluster separate from the South but that both are viable options to start on depending on what the player wants. 

Some common things I am seeing in streams caused by some of this is that new steam players not understanding that the steam client can access both clusters, and that they have the option to play in the older servers if they wanted to instead of the new cluster. Some see the old cluster and think thats for the old wurmians who use the website client. Some have also pointed to pinned threads in the steam discussions where it says to chose the new cluster, and gives no mention of the option that they could play the other cluster if they wanted to.

Though most of the above things also make me wonder a bit more whether the plan here is to heavily deter people from the old servers in hopes that the old cluster can one day go bye bye for the new?