Sign in to follow this  
ChampagneDragon

Can We PLEASE Get Staff Around New Starters?

There is a SIGNFICANT increase in foul/vulgar local chats, and a lot of new players wandering around asking in local what to do. A staff member around would greatly help the new "kids" (based on local chat, I'm guessing the new player median age is 14). CAHelp is great, but right now there is only one person there, and it has been overwhelming.

It would go a long way to saving the reputation of the game.

• Like 5

+1  I don't mind the vulgar language, but its not a good look.

While I agree with you that more moderation would be beneficial, and I would imagine that they have already increased moderation (24/7 coverage in all depts is likely tough), I also think that an uptick in toxicity among the community comes with the F2P Steam-Exposure-Package. That´s not to say that moderation isn´t necessary, or that it is somehow a waste of time because it will happen anyway.. But considering staff and volunteer size, in comparison to the number of new players.. on a platform that draws in different people from all types of backgrounds.. with all the technical issues, player demands and complaints, questions and processing that is going on at CCAB right now...

I feel with these types of things in mind, looking at the big picture, and all the different priorities, and how effective one can eliminate problems (be it server lag or chat moderation), it is likely something that won´t be going away anytime soon. Again, it is the steam exposure and the diversity of people that brings with it, along with the staff already working overtime, etc etc etc.

The reputation of the game is always changing, and while this steam release has brought many advantages, it will undoubtedly bring at least one drawback, and that is:

TLDR bigger community = larger risk for running into toxic human beings.

2 hours ago, Hilo said:

TLDR bigger community = larger risk for running into toxic human beings.

Yeah we used to get regular "invasions" by Something Awful and 4 chan back in 2011. They would try to grief players by sanding everything they could reach, including spots that could not be reverted back due to proximity to a structure, and digging out chasms.  It's going to happen, you can either say "we want a bigger community" or you can say "we want a smaller nicer one."

Wurm needed to gamble on attracting a larger crowd and this is the natural result. It will die down in time. 

Some of the more rascally types actually end up loving the game, and in time become great Wurmians ^_^ 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

It's going to happen, you can either say "we want a bigger community" or you can say "we want a smaller nicer one."

Wurm needed to gamble on attracting a larger crowd and this is the natural result. It will die down in time. 

Some of the more rascally types actually end up loving the game, and in time become great Wurmians ^_^ 

Its been my experience that free to play games, especially on Steam for some reason, seem to attract the worst kinds of players... the ones looking for immediate satisfaction, tend to grief others for fun and profit, and are generally just unpleasant to be around. With the current ruleset, most of the worst will leave within the first month and their stuff will decay quickly (thankfully the skill cap is low so their impact won't be too lasting) leaving the ones who actually want to play a grownups version of Minecraft.

1 hour ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Yeah we used to get regular "invasions" by Something Awful and 4 chan back in 2011. They would try to grief players by sanding everything they could reach, including spots that could not be reverted back due to proximity to a structure, and digging out chasms.  It's going to happen, you can either say "we want a bigger community" or you can say "we want a smaller nicer one."

Yes, but I should not have to see someone telling me to suck his.. in chat. I cannot see that type of player ever becoming a "great Wurmian".

(and if you know me, I am FAR from a prude.)

Edited by ChampagneDragon

We are doing what we can to keep on top of moderation, in all the various different places.  Unfortunately, there will be times when we miss things, for which, we can only apologise.  If it's any consolation, the number of amazingly stupid names that have already been banned is impressive.

If you have someone who's behaving really badly in a public chat, and there don't seem to be any moderators around, you can ask in IRC or Discord as well - there may be someone close by.  You also have the option of /ignore, and if it's getting really bad or goes on for an extended period, filing a report via /support (but please keep that for an absolute last resort - our staff are already working flat out to deal with the tickets).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Or rather, long term wurmians we're forced to tolerate 🤷‍♂️

Regardless, I say come one come all.

• Like 1

This almost makes me want to place an alt around the start town with a pile of popcorn just so I can watch the drama unfold.

• Like 1

Folks, pls mind that these times are an extreme challenge for the team, devs as well as moderators and other team members, volunteers most of them. I fail to see that there is capacity for surveillance.

If there is severe misconduct, report it in a support ticket together with logs collected. But please limit it to severe misconduct.

• Like 1

What I would suggest if people are worried about it is to maybe work together to set up "Unofficial community helpers" to help the new people and if someone is using a lot of vulgar language, those people who are volunteering report them. The GM's are getting SLAMMED with a large number of issues and I would guess many of them are from misunderstandings of what can and can't be done and some major bugs from the move that are slowly, and efficiently, fixed. If I am near there and I see people asking questions in local I try to answer them the best I can and even invite people to my discord to hang out in the channel for some guidance.

• Like 1