Sign in to follow this  
Amata

Current State of WU....

Hi people of Wurm Unlimited..... I've been playing WO pretty much since the pandemic "started" and I'm absolutely, 100%, totally in love with Wurm!! 

I wanted to introduce some of my best friends to WO - but times are tough & although they like the game and want to play, they cannot afford premium to enjoy the full game. So I thought maybe I could set up a server for my gang using WU.

So here I am.... 
I'll teach myself Java. I'll learn to create mods. I'll lurk forums and marathon YouTube how-to videos until I'm blue in the face. But I can't leave Wurm now that I've found it, and I definitely want to get my friends hooked too.  That having been said - 

(1) Who lives here? Who is lurking this forum and reading this overly-long post? Who are the big names around these parts? 

(2) Are modders still actively modding? I know that in a situation like this, the parent-company is screwing over part of their player base, but still controls enough of the game that they could very well actively steal mod content for "updates" to the game & player base that they are still getting money from - I know that modders stop making their mods publicly available or easily accessible to protect their creative IP. .... but, um, all I want to know is are y'all still out there making mods, like, at all? 

(3) 3rd Person view. I want it. I prefer it. I saw a 3rd person mod on the subforum - does that still work? Is 3rd person actually in WU somewhere, and I'm just  missing it?  I'll be able to live without / teach myself just about everything else, maybe... but this one is big for me.... (also, WTF WO, not at least giving WU a 3rd person view update?! That's super crappy. I really do think y'all kinda owe us that one.)

Aaaaaand, that's about all I got right now. Like I said, hello I'm new in town. I'm diving into WU head-first. 💜👋

Edited by Amata
  • Like 2

yeah there are a few modders still pretty active, the great thing about WU is every server is different, if 1 server doesn't fit what you are after you can try another server.

as for modding here is a little video I made which may help you get started. Hope you enjoy your WU experience 😃

• Like 4

Thanks! 

Will definitely watch & take notes 

Just so as not to repeat what has already been said but basically this.

Edited by Ayluin
  • Like 1

There is a WU server of almost every flavour.  I would recommend rather than setting up your own, trying out some of those and see which fits, at least for a start.

Wurd of warning, though, you will find some of the dynamics and mechanics SOoo good that their lack in WO will be a frustration.  Be prepared for that.

I have not and likely will not abandon my first WO character (and will probably invest time in my second on the new servers), but I am also semi-active on 2 WU servers, inactive on 2 others and had a couple disappear out from under me.

Everyone will have their preferences, but my 2 preferred servers are Sklotopia and Terra Australis.  Both are well balanced, and the second is a bit specific for us antipodeans.  Check the recruiting threads in the WU subforum for some info about the various servers. 

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 2

I would say that part of the full Wurm experience is having neighbours, so I can't say I suggest starting your own server. You definitely do not need to learn Java to do it, but it can be more complicated than expected even for techsavvy users.

In stead, take a look at some of the existing private servers. Some have been up for years and have prominent community members running them (like bdew, whose claim to fame are like half of the best mods for WU, runs Otherlands for example, and they just launched a brand new map a few days ago). Skoltopolis and Mythmoor are other examples of servers that don't show any signs of kicking the bucket any time soon.

Many of these have mods to remove priest restrictions and have increased skill gain and/or faster action timers to counter their smaller populations (than a WO server), among swathes of other quality-of-life changes.

I have run my own server before but it got lonely, and that's despite my intense aversion to having neighbours lol. I just don't suggest that when there are already fantastic servers running (and with little/no lag to boot).

• Like 1

Some of the servers that I have players on and enjoyed:  Sklotopolis, Riviera, Otherlands. I like these three because the admins for all three are highly competent and mature, able to resolve technical issues quickly, listen to (but do not cater to every wish of) their complex population -- everyone on the server wants something slightly different, and the servers I probably enjoyed the least were those that continuously  changing things trying to make *everyone* happy, which is never possible. So these admins have a solid 'vision" of what their server is about, and what differentiates theirs from everyone else. 

• Like 6

Sklotopolis - awesome people and great balance between slightly faster skillgain but not overly so, you can be a priest on your main, no deed upkeep and no prem as long as you log in once a month...and you can buy awesome cosmetics in the shop if you choose to do so (what keeps the game going), get cool presents for Christmas, the devs are great and listen to the customers, and no unique-mob/dragon dramas.  Small and large crates hold double the content.  It has a dedicated hunting server.  It even has rifts.  There are many, many things that help you decorate houses/deeds.  It has automatically updated, accurate maps.  Go check it out, I can vouch for it. 

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 2

hope this is still going strong, looking to jump in and start modding myself. I have loved Wurm for years, now I have to chance to bring the ideas I want to Wurm. looking forward to learning everything I can.