Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

1143 other players are online. You are on Harmony

At what stage does a second pve server become a valid topic?

It's a huge population for one server, bigger than ALL the other servers combined (958 total on servers not named Harmony) and even the size of Indy it is not big enough, there is no corner of the map not swarming with players trying to find a deed with water clay trees and rock. Sure they can't all get "the perfect deed", but if the best spots are filled in the first 24 hours, that does not give much much hope for anyone who missed out on Day One.

Currently it's unplayable there, takes 30 seconds to open containers, examine items, select an action from a dropdown,  refresh stamina.  I don't remember it being this bad on Indy in late 2011 prior to the opening of Deliverance, even with a similar population, many many more items and animals and deeds and database entries.

We're going to lose some of those shiny new players if they pay but cannot play. 11,000 people put Wurm Online on their wish list, how many of those 11,000 potential players will we lose?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 4

I've been trying to talk a few friends into this game for.....well forever. They finally gave in and started and are actually loving it. But they probably wont stick around due to the reasons you've said.
Some of them paid already for prem because I told them it was worth it. But we are trying to mine and every time we run out of stam we have to wait 2-3 action timers just for stam to come back.

I'll stick around because I love Wurm, but newer players probably won't.

EDIT: I will say though  we didn't pick a coastal spot and our lag isn't as bad as some of the people I'm seeing on Twitch. The lag in some places is insane

Edited by Enuf

The server needs a hardware upgrade ASAP.  No stress testing done ahead of time. In wurm, you are the stress test.

• Like 1

we shall see how it will be after couple of weeks though...

heh according to fb they are releasing new smaller server Melody soon

Correct. Melody will soon be released. It's a 2048x2048 map, and there will be temporary one-way portals on the Harmony starter deeds.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Sure they can't all get "the perfect deed", but if the best spots are filled in the first 24 hours, that does not give much much hope for anyone who missed out on Day One.

And even less hope for those of us who are also missing out on day Two, as well.  I changed a lot of real life plans to get myself a 48 hour free pass this weekend. Consider me extremely disappointed with this login fiasco. But hey.. just give everyone already playing, two more days of exponentially increasing skill bounus' , over those not able to get into the game.

4 minutes ago, Gumbo said:

And even less hope for those of us who are also missing out on day Two, as well.  I changed a lot of real life plans to get myself a 48 hour free pass this weekend. Consider me extremely disappointed with this login fiasco. But hey.. just give everyone already playing, two more days of exponentially increasing skill bounus' , over those not able to get into the game.

Wait about 30-40 days and many may open up?

22 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

at the current status, you won't even need to wait that long.

Unable to log in. Seems lots will miss the second land grab as well.

1024 other players are online. You are on Harmony (2269 totally in Wurm).

Squeezed in a couple hundred more today and still growing 😛

• Like 1

I got you covered guys, i have the best location already - free space for you you! ;)

[15:11:17] 1076 other players are online. You are on Harmony (2440 totally in Wurm).

The patch that came out earlier today really reduced the lag a lot.  Thanks for all the hard work over this stressful weekend!

1080 other players on Harmony; 420 on Melody (which is pretty full for a Cele/Deli/Rel/Exo sized server. 2483 totally in Wurm.  

Still going up a few hundred more every few hours, Harmony is still lagging and still gradually going up not down in pop. But ... not  going up as fast though.

Maybe we will break 3000 this week and find many of those 11,000 WO wish-listers a Forever Home \o/

Edit:

Not too long after the servers came back (20 min?)

Harmony 828/1500
Defiance 383/1500
Haven 41/400
Melody 322/800
Golden Valley 3/80

(1898 totally in Wurm)

So lost some who probably went to have dinner, do the laundry. take a shower, and a nap, but they will likely all be back with friends later :D

• Like 2

People who quit games based on the opening day experience have never ever played a game and never will, because there has never been a successful, glitch free launch and never will be.

• Like 1

lag was bad but 99% of the people i met on the new servers were pretty cool about it, but if it keeps getting worse over the next few days, maybe people not so forgiven.

i foresee a 3rd server if we keep growing.

fantastic job guys, devs had worked the socks off

On 7/26/2020 at 5:32 PM, Badvoc said:

lag was bad but 99% of the people i met on the new servers were pretty cool about it, but if it keeps getting worse over the next few days, maybe people not so forgiven.

i foresee a 3rd server if we keep growing.

fantastic job guys, devs had worked the socks off

I agree about a third server being a possibility.  

Harmony -is- better but still starts to lag anytime 800+ are ingame, suggesting that may be the optimal pop size.

Melody has one quarter the land area area but is also filling up fast.

Ideally Harmony should be a "settled" pop of maybe 500-800 and Melody maybe 250-350. that means Melody is "full" and Harmony is way past full.

No idea how Defiance is faring, hopefully the PVP peeps are super happy campers ^_^ They have been waiting long enough!

And we have 54 people still going through the tutorial \o/ lordy lordy bless them newbies!

Don't know where we are going to put them though....

Harmony     951/1500
Defiance 429/1500
Haven 52/400
Melody

355/800

2206 totally in Wurm

The absolute worst of the lag is gone, but the persistent low level lag is not gone. If you are moving, need to stand still 10 seconds before you can open containers, milk a cow, shear a sheep, breed a horse, examine a ground tile etc. Combat is dicey because you never know exactly where you are in relation to the foe.   MUCH better than before, the unplayable server "problems" are "fixed" but you still have too many people, too little land.  I am on one of the farthest sections of the map and we still get caravans pulling through looking for open spaces. No idea how many people might give up if they make it through the tutorial but then can't find a nice place to settle.  The 1500 cap is kind of necessary for now, but realistically I think maybe 650 for harmony and 250 for any new Melody-type servers is a good target goal.

And we could use another melody-sized smaller server.

We need to have some "open land" just to feel like a wilderness world and not packed like Suburbia. 

So even if some spots are not yet filled completely up, does NOT mean they should be. The servers should never be completely filled (like Indy was in early 2011, before Rolf launched about 6 new servers and player pop went up 400%)

Areas near the spawn should be full but it should get gradually more "open" and wilderness-y as you move away from the spawn. 

I wonder what their number crunching accounting figures is the optimal size for adding a third server...

11,000 people put Wurm Online on their wishlist.  This is Wurm's big chance. How many of those will we lose by not being ready for them?

Is 'We'll just wait until a lot of them go away and then things will be fine' a really good business model?

EDIT: almost two weeks later. Still overcrowded. 

Harmony  912/1500
Defiance  406/1500
Haven  18/400
Melody  423/800

2104 totally in Wurm

Will losing a lot of our new players became a self fulfilling prophecy?