Sign in to follow this  
POM

Steam client

Do we need to download the 1.5GB steam version or can we add the client we have to steam?  Thanks!

You don't have to use steam at all. New servers are available on the client you get from wurmonline.com

• Like 1

The steam version is a stand-alone version, the two may be connected to a certain extent but for us users, they are practically seperate in every way. You have 2 options.

1. Legacy Servers (the client you have), connected to the website for account creation and so on, just like it always was. If you want to play on Xanadu, for example, you need to log in the traditional way, just as you always have.

OR

2. Steam Servers (downloaded through Steam), NOT connected to the website for account creation and so on, it is all done through your steam account direct in the new launcher. You will have access to the two new servers, but you will not have any of your characters and you won't be able to go to the old map clusters.

If you want to play on the new servers, then yes, you will need to DL the steam version. If you don`t care for the new servers, than you don't need to change or worry about anything.

3 minutes ago, neopherus said:

You don't have to use steam at all. New servers are available on the client you get from wurmonline.com

I honestly think this confuses people even more.... but okay. I know it is pretty easy to understand for the mods, but a ton of people have been confused.... creating characters for Steam on the website and that not working, buying prem for steam on the website... all kinds of stuff.... but okay.

1 minute ago, Hilo said:

The steam version is a stand-alone version, the two may be connected to a certain extent but for us users, they are practically seperate in every way. You have 2 options.

1. Legacy Servers (the client you have), connected to the website for account creation and so on, just like it always was. If you want to play on Xanadu, for example, you need to log in the traditional way, just as you always have.

OR

2. Steam Servers (downloaded through Steam), NOT connected to the website for account creation and so on, it is all done through your steam account direct in the new launcher. You will have access to the two new servers, but you will not have any of your characters and you won't be able to go to the old map clusters.

If you want to play on the new servers, then yes, you will need to DL the steam version. If you don`t care for the new servers, than you don't need to change or worry about anything.

The two new servers are NOT specific to Steam. They were being launched in coordination with our Steam launch, and can be accessed through the standalone client in addition to the Steam client. I created a new character on the website and got to Harmony through the usual client that I use to access Release. 

• Like 2

Just a bag of confusion, this is. SO the toons are specific to the launcher, and not the clusters. Gotcha. To be honest, that is going to go over a lot of people's heads.

Edited by Hilo

Thanks for the info everybody!     So I just need to launch & update my existing client and I'll be able to select the new cluster and register?

Edit:  Only asking because error code 35 has kept me offline about 24 hours and counting :(

Edited by POM
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bakhita said:

The two new servers are NOT specific to Steam. They were being launched in coordination with our Steam launch, and can be accessed through the standalone client in addition to the Steam client. I created a new character on the website and got to Harmony through the usual client that I use to access Release. 

Do we use our Steam password when using the normal client?  Don't need a password using the Steam client.  I'd rather use the normal client if don't have to use Steam.

15 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

Do we use our Steam password when using the normal client?  Don't need a password using the Steam client.  I'd rather use the normal client if don't have to use Steam.

You cannot log in Steam accounts on the Old client at all. The same goes for the other way.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hilo said:

Just a bag of confusion, this is. SO the toons are specific to the launcher, and not the clusters. Gotcha. To be honest, that is going to go over a lot of people's heads.

If you create a toon on Steam, you can only use that toon on Steam. If you create a toon on the old launcher, you can only use that toon on the old launcher. But, you can access both sets of servers from each launcher. 

17 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

No, your Steam password is only for the steam client. It is tied to your Steam ID, so you don't use it. You can get to the new servers via the normal client if you create a new character through the website. It is what I did. 

Edited by Bakhita
  • Like 2

Okay, I think this makes sense to me now :D

So I can avoid the 1.5gb download but need to somehow register a character for steam?

6 minutes ago, Bakhita said:

If you create a toon on Steam, you can only use that toon on Steam. If you create a toon on the old launcher, you can only use that toon on the old launcher. But, you can access both sets of servers from each launcher. 

No, your Steam password is only for the steam client. It is tied to your Steam ID, so you don't use it. You can get to the new servers via the normal client if you create a new character through the website. It is what I did. 

kk...I misunderstood then.  Thanks.

I registered a new account on the Wurmonline webpage and downloaded the client from the website, and it worked.  Initially I tried using Steam but it wasn't working for me, and someone in Discord said go to the website to do everything.  That seemed much easier.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, POM said:

Okay, I think this makes sense to me now :D

So I can avoid the 1.5gb download but need to somehow register a character for steam?

No. You either have to download the client from the website or launch through the Steam launcher. You cannot use your Steam credentials on the website download. And you can't use your website download credentials on the Steam client. 

• Like 1

Also, I believe it might have been stated above differently by mistake, you *can* create a character for the old servers using the new Steam client. 

Where the portal exists on Haven to choose which server you go to, just choose Southern Freedom Isles and select the server you want the new character created on.

Characters are bound to the client/platform type they were created on, but those client programs aren't bound to any particular servers for use.  It's just characters created on Northern Freedom Isles can't cross to Southern Freedom Isles and vice-versa.  There's no portal to go between them.

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tristanc said:

Where the portal exists on Haven to choose which server you go to, just choose Southern Freedom Isles and select the server you want the new character created on.

I think the problem may be (unrelated to Steam) that there is a graphical glitch on the portals, they have old pve servers on the left and old pvp servers on the right, what people do not know (unless explicitly told) is that if they hover their mouse between the two, they can see a faint invisible outline for the new South Freedom servers, you have to blindly click there out of faith to get to Harmony et al (was not like that on Day One but was like that on Day Two, I created characters both days using same launcher same settings.) There is not a very big space between the two visible ones, it overlaps those significantly.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I think the problem may be (unrelated to Steam) that there is a graphical glitch on the portals, they have old pve servers on the left and old pvp servers on the right, what people do not know (unless explicitly told) is that if they hover their mouse between the two, they can see a faint invisible outline for the new South Freedom servers, you have to blindly click there out of faith to get to Harmony et al (was not like that on Day One but was like that on Day Two, I created characters both days using same launcher same settings.) There is not a very big space between the two visible ones, it overlaps those significantly.

Yes, I noticed this as well and to me it's a big concern that I really haven't seen discussed.  The graphic used doesn't show the Northern Freedom Isles, you just have to randomly move your pointer across it for anything to appear to highlight it if you're a brand new player who's not familiar with Wogic.  There should be three maps and visible options to choose when that window pops up at the portal, not just two.

• Like 2