Sign in to follow this  
Badvoc

Steam reviews.

So atm the steam reviews are mixed, early days but with the extended down time and the problems with connecting will this "PR" do more harm than good?

Now any release is going to have problems, but the grumbling is that its not a new game and after 16 years or whatever it is the devs should have know and been better prepared.

My own view is its no problem, ok i was in the middle of bringing an animal home that took some time to find and likely that will be gone when I get back in ( might have to sleep before servers are back ) but over all imo the good wurm is outshines this problem.

But will the new players / steam crowd think the same, could this bad PR do some real damage? and if so what can the devs do to win the new crowd over get the steam reviews going in the right direction?

They'll forget all about it the second they can actually play the game. They're only lashing out because they're passionate about getting to play the game.

• Like 2

Most of the reviews are simply talking about the inability to connect, which will hopefully be sorted out soon. Once more and more people are actually able to play the game, then those reviews can be left that will hold actual information about the game versus the inability to connect to the servers. There will always be people that still want to try the game out here and there even with mixed reviews, and hopefully, most of those will find the game to be what it is. An enjoyable experience that is hard to find elsewhere.

I'm not too worried about it though. I remember when the peak of players was barely overly 150, and now we seem to push just a bit over 400-450. There will always be some people that find out about it and then become thoroughly hooked on it despite the learning curve at the beginning.

If anyone is worried about the reviews that are being left at the moment, just make sure you put in a good review when they get everything sorted about the overall experiences that can be found on Wurm versus the initial launch fiasco.

• Like 1

I gotta say, if I didn't already love Wurm I'm not sure I'd stick around. I created account, logged in, and in five minutes have been booted three times. Can't equip, can't turn off climb...

1st time logged in long enough to get climb to turn on

2nd time long enough to climb up hill

3rd time long enough to get climb to turn off

4th time long enough to equip backpack and put steel and flint in it..

5th time equipped hatchet, 

6th time cut down one tree...

Edited by ChampagneDragon

I'm gonna swim against the stream and say Wurm deserves those reviews. They are reflective not essentially of the game, but a users experience with it. And in terms of bad MMO launches, CCAB really dropped the ball here. Clients breaking themselves in an update, no login queue, endless, unresolved bottleneck via a server that was revived "last minute" instead of running productively a few months prior.

That being said, I expected to be able to play the next day only, so I'm just slightly underwhelmed. It is quite similar whenever a new season of Path of Exile comes out, it's basically off limits until the next day (difference being that it WOULD work to login....kinda....just not personally worth the wait and lag for me.)

It's a chip Wurm Online will carry on its shoulder for a while, but before all the white knights rush to review-bomb the game positively, give it some time.

Steam also has a feature for "most recent" reviews, and I wager influencing this positively by writing about the actual game and less the botched management of the launch will be easier than trying to "level out" the cascade of negative contemporary reviews.

Not sure what the "moving" window for this is, maybe a week or two?

• Like 2