Sign in to follow this  
Castile

Epic Fail

Heh, those who dont remember the past are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past ..

Server etc problems on release day are more or less industry standard now, tho i admit i thought a long established game like this might not be affected by more than minor problems ..

Ah well, c'est la vie

Edited by Scottfree2
  • Like 2

Come back in the morning, it should be better by then

39 minutes ago, BDCKoolaid said:

It's launch day. Every game has issues they have to work out when they launch something new. I think it would be good for everyone to suspend the negativity for a bit.

Interesting how some of us are unable to log in,  yet (based on names that seem familiar) the same crowd that "finds" all the unique and dominates the market for goods and trade,  have planted deeds on the new server already. Who do you have to know to log in now? 

As a developer myself I am entirely understanding, and the negative reviews just make me sad. I left a positive review personally as soon as the client launched and I am not changing it.

That said, what some here are weirdly failing to understand is that the sandbox experience is not like the themepark mmo experience. It is not a big deal to lose out on logging into the Elder Scrolls on day 1. It is a huge deal to miss the opening of a sandbox world, both substantially and, just as importantly, psychologically. A lot of us have been looking forward to precisely the experience of being the first in a new world, and while you may scoff at how significant it will be in the long run, that it what some of us were hoping to get out of the evening and it is starting to look like it won't happen to any extent.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Interesting how some of us are unable to log in,  yet (based on names that seem familiar) the same crowd that "finds" all the unique and dominates the market for goods and trade,  have planted deeds on the new server already. Who do you have to know to log in now? 

Conspiracy theory? Sadly, no. Some players just work harder and smarter than others. Everyone has an equal opportunity in Wurm as far as I've ever experienced.

10 minutes ago, BDCKoolaid said:

Conspiracy theory? Sadly, no. Some players just work harder and smarter than others. Everyone has an equal opportunity in Wurm as far as I've ever experienced.

Perhaps you could explain to everyone how 'work harder' applies when so many players are unable to contact a login server and I can plainly see deeds are being established as I write this.  No,  that's not it, sadly. 

Still cant log in.

You'd have thought they'd anticipate this, no?

The realistic reaction is to assume that this may take a few days to sort out. Keep in mind that there are tons of spoiled little girls trying to log in that expect instant gratification. Let us not become those little girls ourselves.

1 minute ago, Challenge said:

The realistic reaction is to assume that this may take a few days to sort out. Keep in mind that there are tons of spoiled little girls trying to log in that expect instant gratification. Let us not become those little girls ourselves.

Frankly, I've yet to see a new server, cluster or major feature make it live without some sort of issues, yes, we all want it to go well, but issue come up that were not foreseen, with maybe 500 players logged in on Harmony, about half that on Defiance, that's a great big plus, even if some are like me, players who've been around a while, that still means there's a load of returning or new players, yes, it's a pain not being able to log in yet, but it'll settle down, it may well take a day or more, but it will settle down.

Connection issues is one thing that will work in a few days but what about the old servers? They are even less populated then they have been the last months ... as always why open new servers when the old are already empty and now we did split up the small community even more ... 

Damn I think I was finally able to get to the login server just to get "Character already exists and not linked to this steam account".  /cry   Trying another name for a few hours.

9 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

Damn I think I was finally able to get to the login server just to get "Character already exists and not linked to this steam account".  /cry   Trying another name for a few hours.

Well, that at least answers a question on how we know if the name is taken when we log in using steam client, so, thanks for that information at least. I got in a while back but was frozen while the world failed to load around me, eventually the server just spat me out like a half chewed morsel. I guess we just apply a dose of patience, and put it down to murphy's law.

Wont be long, they will wreck that place or least making it look ugly.

8 hours ago, Castile said:

Well so much for impressing Steam players and gaining newcomers to the game.

Having been a Steam patron for nearly a decade now I can tell you that for many people on Steam, this is par for the course and there is rarely a smooth launch. It's rarely a question of whether or not it will launch well, but more a question of how will the dev team react when it does not and so far... I'd say CCAB is doing just fine.

What makes this kind of sad for me is that this happens to also be a PR opportunity for Wurm.  How often does Wurm get a chance to present itself to such a large potential audience?

I wasnt expecting perfection or anything near it, but I also didnt see it going this direction.  I hope things stabilize soon and I hope that interested new players have the patience to wait this situation out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whane said:

Having been a Steam patron for nearly a decade now I can tell you that for many people on Steam, this is par for the course and there is rarely a smooth launch. It's rarely a question of whether or not it will launch well, but more a question of how will the dev team react when it does not and so far... I'd say CCAB is doing just fine.

Agreed. Everyone writing angry reviews right now are just disappointed that they can't play a game they were excited for, and are now lashing out. Everything will be fine the second they get to play. Hopefully they'll remember to change those negative reviews to positive.

• Like 1

Well, I was out of town, and sad I had missed the launch. Now I'm home and sitting here wondering if i should just go to bed and try in the morning...

Honestly, had a log in queue been implemented or had there been more communication from the staff, I would have had all the understanding and patience in the world. Problem is, Retro (and more so those responsible for the technical side of things) expected us to continously retry logging in... I had no idea if I had a realistic chanceof getting in or not. ALL other launches that I have been apart of, including many MMOs, it was very clear if you were either waiting to get in or having technical issues.  I can tell you after three hours of failed attempts while Retro streaming and 100 people in GV... I had absolutely NO idea if I would be the next one in, or if I was still 3 hours away from a successful log in attempt.

THAT, single-handedly, is why this has been the worst launch I have been apart of, and why I left a negative review. It is one thing to have things go sour, IT can be a headache. It's another to have 100 people allowed in, probably 2k+ in queue (again, no idea because it is a free for all who gets in) and then to tell the 1.3 thousand people in stream "just keep trying", "just keep trying".

I could say the same... 🤔 lets not sugarcoat. Problems were expected... but the vague updates and redundant client-side solutions to a log in problem that should have been more transparent and forseen? Not impressed.. and the expectations weren't all too high either. Yall made the date, the time, got people excited for it, and expected them to play log-in Simulator für an evening... letting SOME play but others not, and those who cant get in have NO IDEA how long it may take. Of course people got upset. If this happened at any store-front business, people would have been really pissed too.

Half the fun is stepping foot on a fresh server. That excitement has diminished. Is it still a good game? Yes. Was it a good launch? No. 

Edited by Hilo
  • Like 1

Well we got a nice cookie (2 extra days of bonus), so I am happy. 

Logging in worked fine for me today.

New GUI is working well but might need some polishing.

We had lag on Har, but it might be due to over 860 players on at the same time on the server.

Overall, not too bad I think.

Edited by griper

For me I am new to the game as of yesterday. I downloaded it and made a character, joined the forum. During this process it didn't say the character name I selected was taken... Completed account / character name creation but could not log in due to network connection error. I left it over night because well I have been online gaming for ever and I am sympathetic to all of the issues the dev team might be having on launch day.

Anyhow today I try and log in and it tells me that the character I created yesterday already exists and is not linked to my steam account. Anyone know if there is a work around that I can do on my end to get this to work? Or do I have to wait until they patch this because it might be a common situation?

thanks gang. Good Gaming!!

Grimtide

6 hours ago, Grimtide said:

For me I am new to the game as of yesterday. I downloaded it and made a character, joined the forum. During this process it didn't say the character name I selected was taken... Completed account / character name creation but could not log in due to network connection error. I left it over night because well I have been online gaming for ever and I am sympathetic to all of the issues the dev team might be having on launch day.

Anyhow today I try and log in and it tells me that the character I created yesterday already exists and is not linked to my steam account. Anyone know if there is a work around that I can do on my end to get this to work? Or do I have to wait until they patch this because it might be a common situation?

thanks gang. Good Gaming!!

Grimtide

You created the charachter in the old (pre-steam) way. And you will not be able to use it through steam.

But if you download the old launcher, you can play on any server with that charachter.

I made the same mistake yesterday and I have been playing this game since 2007.

The instructions were very unclear.