Sign in to follow this  
Castile

Epic Fail

Well so much for impressing Steam players and gaining newcomers to the game. I cant log into Steam client or the regular client to play my regular toons.

Im a veteran so will stick around but if I was new not to sure I would care to bother. Hopefully things can get fixed before the Steam rating falls to far in the basement.

• Like 3

They knew there would be an influx of people plus the normal crew logging in and they resurected Golden Valley with no clue how it would work under stress, now the majority of people can not log on even to the old servers.

Also forcing the new UI onto people, it is Horrible clunky and totally ugly. No way to get rid of most of the new junk they added which means less room to actually see the world.

Not impressed and not happy at all 1 1/2 hrs into launch.

• Like 1

You can still play with the Old UI @TheShawv

Just need to select it when you launch the game.

Some sort of login queue system would have been nice though so it isn't just a free for all.

The current negative ratings are because of the connection issues, I dont know much about steam rating system, but can a developer in any way reset/get rid of the negative reviews that solely talk about connection issues on launch?

I mean, the neg-reviews wont be relevant anymore when the connection/log-in issues are fixed. But if they are there forever, then it'll need allot of good reviews to get the rating up again.

Edited by Lycanthropic

Just now, Lycanthropic said:

The current negative ratings are because of the connection issues, I dont know much about steam rating system, but can a developer in any way reset/get rid of the negative reviews that solely talk about connection issues on launch?

lol no they can't would kind of make reviews pointless if the person being reviewed could silence the criticism!!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sulfurblade said:

lol no they can't would kind of make reviews pointless if the person being reviewed could silence the criticism!!!

Yeah, agreed on that, but now all neg reviews are about connection issues, when those are fixed, those reviews loose their relevance in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Lycanthropic said:

Sadly nope, all they can do is hope the OPs change their review (which isn't likely given most will never give the game a second chance).

Well, it would be way worse, but you actually need to be able to log in to the game to leave review.

Also, the most popular negative reviews aren't about connection issues, but about state of the game, GM threatening to ban player for inviting people to village and incompetence in general.

4 minutes ago, Lycanthropic said:

I mean, the neg-reviews wont be relevant anymore when the connection/log-in issues are fixed. But if they are there forever, then it'll need allot of good reviews to get the rating up again.

Steam has systems against review-bombing. It won't really be an issue, assuming once the game actually works that people enjoy it.

Edited by Razorblade

2 minutes ago, Lycanthropic said:

Yeah, agreed on that, but now all neg reviews are about connection issues, when those are fixed, those reviews loose their relevance in my opinion.

correct and a lot of those people will likely change their review also,,,, and those that don't well a person that reads will be able to see what it was in regard to...

Most people that use steam at this point know to actually read the review's and figure out why the reviews are at mixed etc...

It looks to me like a Golden Valley issue. Golden Valley is the Lobby server for all servers so that would be why all the old accounts are having problems connecting. I'm on Xanadu right now and its working fine, but I can't log in any characters, old or new. Seems to me like GV is overloaded and the hamster is dead. Keenan is probably running to the pet store atm to buy a new hamster.

• Like 3

As a user - I am annoyed - I paid for a game and I can't play, but I worked in IT for 25 years and I know how it is. They didn't break the service deliberately, and we got the cookie - we all will have a huge skill and affinity gain bonus.

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 2

I actually feel sorry for @Keenan, i really do know how crap it is to work alone with little means and tools and options he has to make a miracle. 

• Like 3

As a new player who has zero minutes played, OP is exactly the reason I wont be deterred. The attitude is poor and I know it doesn't reflect the rest of those who are veterans and those who are new and know what launch days are really like in a MMO.

Edited by Zander
  • Like 12

27 minutes ago, Castile said:

Well so much for impressing Steam players and gaining newcomers to the game. I cant log into Steam client or the regular client to play my regular toons.

Im a veteran so will stick around but if I was new not to sure I would care to bother. Hopefully things can get fixed before the Steam rating falls to far in the basement.

It's launch day. Every game has issues they have to work out when they launch something new. I think it would be good for everyone to suspend the negativity for a bit.

Edited by BDCKoolaid
OP too harsh
  • Like 2

It's two new Wurm servers with fresh accounts.

It'll be worth the wait :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zander said:

As a new player who has zero minutes played, OP is exactly the reason I wont be deterred. The attitude is poor and I know it doesn't reflect the rest of those who are veterans and those who are new and know what launch days are really like in a MMO.

Welcome to wurm Zander, keep that attitude as this game is certainly not for the faint of heart!

• Like 2

Hey I understand also, my attitude is not bad.  Just frustrated that the toons ive paid money for on servers not connected to the steam server cant be logged into.

1 minute ago, Zander said:

This is a game that on average has about 400-500 people logged in at any given time, split into a multitude of servers. They just opened the spigot for the first time into the steam playerbase and looks like they are getting more people than they can handle or were expecting. That's a good thing.

Be patient. The game itself is worth it, and us vets could use the new people. Given the small, mostly volunteer team of devs this game has, cutting them some slack wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. We are on the 3rd hour after steam launch. Anyone who expected a smooth release is delusional.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Castile said:

As someone who lived through the WOW launch back in the day, technical/connection issues can be normal for a launch day when servers get hammered. I expect things will calm down shortly,. but I am skeptical of the steam folks as generally they seem to have a low tolerance for issues (which surprises me given the amount of alpha product on the platform, but that is a different topic). Hopefully things improve before the reviews tank because that ends up being a tough hole to climb out of.

• Like 3

Just now, SirMuttley said:

As someone who lived through the WOW launch back in the day, technical/connection issues can be normal for a launch day when servers get hammered. I expect things will calm down shortly,. but I am skeptical of the steam folks as generally they seem to have a low tolerance for issues (which surprises me given the amount of alpha product on the platform, but that is a different topic). Hopefully things improve before the reviews tank because that ends up being a tough hole to climb out of.

I doubt the people who rage quit at launch of an MMO, which are always frought with issues, would stick around with Wurm too long anyway.

• Like 4

To all the negative comments. Have you all never been a part of a launch day for any mmo? They are always bad for ones that grow in popularity leading up to their launch. Blizzard has it happen every launch day for a new expansion and they are a multi-million dollar company. Give it a little bit, they will resolve the issues and I am sure they are working endlessly to resolve them.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, timptheum said:

To all the negative comments. Have you all never been a part of a launch day for any mmo? They are always bad for ones that grow in popularity leading up to their launch. Blizzard has it happen every launch day for a new expansion and they are a multi-million dollar company. Give it a little bit, they will resolve the issues and I am sure they are working endlessly to resolve them.

timptheum how exactly does thinking about this logically make us less frustrated and let us vent our frustration???  Come on man be angry just a little, it will make you feel better!

y'all obviously didn't play an MMO at launch, Wow Classic was a dumpster fire just like this, 20k queues. It'll work in a few hours, don't QQ.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, timptheum said:

But most of MMO at least tries to have successful launch. Client update and resurrection of GV at the launch - there was 15k people with wurm on wishlist? GV can't handle more than 80 at the same time...

There should be special forum title here - White Knight...