Sign in to follow this  
TheDolmenDuke

[Registration] Registered for the wrong version.

Hello! After installing the Steam version and having trouble logging in, I clicked the register button at the top and registered on WurmOnline.com thinking that is what I needed to do. However I was informed later that you don't need to register with the Steam version (which is confusing because the register button is on the launcher) and now my name is taken. Is there any way I can delete my account I registered with or change the name to something else at least? I made an account on the Steam launcher that I cant even use. So far two of my friends have also done the same thing by mistake.

Please help. 

EDIT: I have been informed that as long as you don't login, your account will be deleted in 2 days. I assume this will also open up the character name. So I suppose my solution is to use a different character name on the Steam launcher for now, then after 2 days I could swap the character name back to the original one I wanted. I am also assuming that it really does mean "character name" on the launcher and not "character". That would be unfortunate. 

Edited by TheDolmenDuke
  • Like 2

They have patched the Steam client and removed the button. Hopefully this wont happen to anyone else now so thanks for taking care of that so quickly. 

However, I'm struggling a bit. I'm so incredibly bummed that this happened and I'm not sure what to do. Do I wait 2 days and miss out on everything so I can get the account/name that I originally wanted? Is there anything a mod or GM could do to help me?

• Like 1

I am in the same boat now, having been told to register in huge bold letters - I naturally supposed that was the right thing to do. Since there is no Support section on the website where you could possibly try and reach... well, the support team (if there is any), I would like to know what actually gets removed and in which timeframe - character, character name, in 2 days or in 90 days (I saw that number popping up in Discord yesterday as well.)

Official clarification would be nice to have.

Edited by Aord

I too did this but the process did allow me to set a password which works fine in the classic launcher.
it's only the steam launcher i can't use because `name isnt registered to steam account`

Edited by Steveleeb

I can wait 2 days no problem, hopefully they will sort out the lag issue by then.

But the only thing that got me worried now is lack of official info on this issue, 2 days is an educated guess, I believe?

Absence of any support ticket system in place makes me think I will have to relay on such educated guesses in the future, which is... unreliable.

Edited by Aord

The "2 days" comment came from a community assistant yesterday: 

I'm sry this happened to you guys as well 😩 

Okay, 2 days have passed, still cannot use the char name.

At least I was hoping support staff monitors this forum. I understand this is not a game-breaking issue but it's a deal-breaking one for me.

Guess it's a hard pass then.

Edited by Aord

I was hoping they did as well and can confirm, it's been 3 days and mine is still gone. 

On 7/26/2020 at 2:17 PM, Aord said:

Okay, 2 days have passed, still cannot use the char name.

At least I was hoping support staff monitors this forum. I understand this is not a game-breaking issue but it's a deal-breaking one for me.

Guess it's a hard pass then.

Aord, it seems that you registered for a non steam Wurm Online account and that account registration seems to have completed and that character is registered and in the game through the Wurm Online website.  You can create another character on Steam with a different name or play this character from the Wurm Online launcher instead.

If you need any assistance with the account, please send and email to gamemods@wurmonline.com.  

On 7/24/2020 at 2:51 PM, TheDolmenDuke said:

Hello! After installing the Steam version and having trouble logging in, I clicked the register button at the top and registered on WurmOnline.com thinking that is what I needed to do. However I was informed later that you don't need to register with the Steam version (which is confusing because the register button is on the launcher) and now my name is taken. Is there any way I can delete my account I registered with or change the name to something else at least? I made an account on the Steam launcher that I cant even use. So far two of my friends have also done the same thing by mistake.

Please help. 

EDIT: I have been informed that as long as you don't login, your account will be deleted in 2 days. I assume this will also open up the character name. So I suppose my solution is to use a different character name on the Steam launcher for now, then after 2 days I could swap the character name back to the original one I wanted. I am also assuming that it really does mean "character name" on the launcher and not "character". That would be unfortunate. 

TheDolmenDuke, if you have not been able to successfully log into the game to play, please send an email to gamemods@wurmonline.com and explain your situation and the game names involved.  You can include a link to this forum thread for them also.