Sign in to follow this  
Ektomorf

Regional Subscription Prices

Dear developers. I love Wurm even tho I've always been playing it f2p. I'm looking forward to playing on Steam servers and just want to put my word out for fellow Russians and Eastern-Europeans. Due to quite harsh currency exchange rate the sub fee of 10eu is ALOT and with the steam regional pricing policy we usually get prices adapted to our economic situation. Even big sub-based games like WoW have regional pricing. For example the current sub price of wurm is more expensive then my mobile plan and internet plan combined 😆 I can afford it, but it would be financially irresponsibe for any Russian player like myself to pay that much. I hope you've studied the regional market a bit and there will be an adapted sub for regions like ours. If you compare similar scale games, the sub fee is usually around 299-399 roubles per month. Thanks alot for what you do, I hope the game does well on Steam!

Edited by Ektomorf
  • Like 3

On paper it sounds like a good idea, but what would stop people from around the world from using VPN to ghost themselves into a different (cheaper) region for a cheaper sub price.

Edited by shakys
Moderation edit

2 hours ago, Justehn said:

On paper it sounds like a good idea, but what would stop people from around the world from using VPN to ghost themselves into a different (cheaper) region for a cheaper sub price.

If other games do it, then it works. If AAA titles do it on steam that means there is a protection against such abuse. Greedy corporations wouldn't let a single penny go to waste, that proves that regional pricing creates more profit. Eastern europeans like hardcore "oldschool" mmorpgs. And I'm sure today's server crash can be attributed to the hordes of russians seeing the new "hardcore sandbox rpg" pop up on steam. But with such sub cost they would never pay. 

Edited by shakys
Moderation edit

+1 do this so I can get a VPN to buy prem for half price. I promise I will.

3 hours ago, armyskin said:

+1 do this so I can get a VPN to buy prem for half price. I promise I will.

It doesn't work like that. Google it. Do you think you're smarter then Gaben? Regional pricing IS a thing and it makes more money if implimented. The overwhelming majority of gamedevs do it from indie to AAA.

Edited by Ektomorf

29 minutes ago, Thamorian said:

My only question is you say you've been playing Wurm F2P... 

yes... and where's the question?

3 minutes ago, armyskin said:

That's no reason for people in poor countries to not be able to play the game. I can get behind silver not being regionally priced, since that would wreck the economy, but so what if a few people abuse a VPN to get cheaper premium time? The vast majority of players are moral or stupid enough to do the right thing. Any income lost to people abusing the system would be made up for by the increased number of people who can now afford premium, and we'd all have a better experience with more players.

Edited by Razorblade
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, armyskin said:

You are wrong. If you know what a VPN is and can find a couple of scuffed articles (which advertise spcific vpn services, thus biased) it doesn't mean that you're smarter then people who work on steam security or game developers that implement regional prices. If it's so widespread then it's been studied both in terms of profitability and possible ways of abuse. You don't know what you're talking about and ruin the possibility for people to play the game. The devs should look into it and implement it, because with the current sub fee the whole regions will just refuse to play the game. Or try the game ftp and then leave the negative reviews on steam.

Edited by Ektomorf

Sounds like a good idea, especially with how valved made changing country in the store much harder as Lolens pointed out. Right now there are countries out there where this game is way way way way too expensive, which means pretty much no money is earned from those regions. So it's a win for players from those regions as they'd finally be able to afford premium and a win for Wurm as they'd increase their revenue. I'd say silver should fall under it as well for the same reasons.

I'd probably just apply this to Steam and not to the normal client/shop, as Steam can take care of preventing abuse.

Edited by Ecrir

I from Ukraine. + for regional price. We have mutch less money in country.

I think there was something change for some years ago ...no idea how long or what its called in eng.

But that if you live in europe you pay in euro. 

And I myself dont like it ...I preferd when I could pay in dollar, since that is cheaper for me then euro,

But no I need to follow what they say I shall pay in, and gameowner need to follow it too. 

I absolutely agree with this, I have been following this game for a very long time. And every time he refused because of the price. And skills 20 are too few to understand whether it is worth spending more money on the game than for other online projects. Oldschool projects should pay more attention to beginners, because modern ones have a lower threshold of entry.

+1 from Russia. Definetely i will play Online with the regional price, and i know A LOT of people who will be playing, but they don't because of the price.
Please give us regional prices in Steam! Your game is AWESOME!