Sign in to follow this  
Vato

New Player - Steam question

So recently stumbled upon this game and im excited to dive in, im a little confused with the steam launch i cant download there but as i researched when i could i found the Wurm Online offical site and looks like i can download here, ive registered for the forums and game here.

im just wondering if there is a difference where i download the game, is it a preference thing?

You will be able to download the game through Steam shortly.  Or you can use our stand-alone client (which you can download and install now).  Same game, same servers, different means of accessing them.

Note that if you wish to play on the new servers, you should hold off creating an account for now.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that Steam Release is in about 45 minutes so maybe you'll want to get your first taste of Wurm in a new world.

Client from Steam for the Steam servers, client from www.wurmonline.com for the old servers.

• Like 1

Thank you for replying , yes i think i would like to start on a new server. so i guess ill just download the client and wait.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MinorArchitect said:

Keep in mind that Steam Release is in about 45 minutes so maybe you'll want to get your first taste of Wurm in a new world.

Client from Steam for the Steam servers, client from www.wurmonline.com for the old servers.

Oh , so youll only be able to access the new servers through steam? 

2 minutes ago, Vato said:

Oh , so youll only be able to access the new servers through steam? 

No, they're just new servers being launched alongside the steam release. Everyone can play on them with new accounts, either from steam or the original wurm launcher!

• Like 1

You can access any Wurm online server from either standalone Wurm client or Steam Wurm client, but the character will only be usable with that client.

From the official FAQ here

Q: Can I play on the Steam servers without using Steam? Can I play on the old servers through the Steam client?
A:  Yes to both! While you cannot log in onto old accounts from Steam, or onto Steam accounts from our standalone client, both of those will allow you to create a character and play on all of the available servers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jore said:

No, they're just new servers being launched alongside the steam release. Everyone can play on them with new accounts, either from steam or the original wurm launcher!

ahh but the new servers wont go live till steam launches, if i understand . then ill just download the client. Thank you for replying.

2 minutes ago, Explora said:

You can access any Wurm online server from either standalone Wurm client or Steam Wurm client, but the character will only be usable with that client.

From the official FAQ here

Steam really confuses me lol, we all play together, right? its just the platform youre using to get online?

20 minutes ago, MinorArchitect said:

There are no "steam servers". There are only WO servers, all can be joined either through Wurms standalone client or via Steam.

• Like 1

Just now, Nordlys said:

There are no "steam servers". There are only WO servers, all can be joined either through Wurms standalone client or via Steam.

Thank you for clearing that up.

11 minutes ago, Vato said:

Steam really confuses me lol, we all play together, right? its just the platform youre using to get online?

Correct!

• Like 1