Sign in to follow this  
wipeout

steam account and character sharing

So we have the limit of 3 people per toon(1 owner 2 shared) and with a proposed limit of 10 toons per steam account(if we have the staff member comment to go on about) and that steam client is used to directly create the toon

But what i want to know is account sharing how will that work as steam does not let people use the same id via family sharing and as steam id is used instead of password(i assume) no hash is present and thus any account created on steam can not be shared at all ever
Which will lead to people complaining sooner then later that those who share specific crafters/gatherers/priests early on can get way further ahead due to longer play time(yes fatigue i know but we can work around that)

So how will steam only players be able to share accounts if at all(i assume they cant) as i cant seem to think of a way that steam would let that happen so unless there is some vastly different way then wu's character creation is used for steam then they will never be able to share their toons and be technically at a disadvantage and anyone who is a mayor of a pvp town and registered via steam would have to break steam tos to share their account with 2 others for better mayor toon coverage(because some things in kingdom stuff still require mayor only interactions) and thus could potentially lead to situations in the future where a non steam group has an advantage vs steam only/mixed group

Edit adding developer response:

1 minute ago, Samool said:

We're not currently planning to add that.

Edited by wipeout

you can log in by the client once its downloaded and not through steam I thought - that will allow you to have as many alts as you want I would think

If you want to share accounts, which we don't recommend although we still allow it for sharing with up to 2 other people, your best bet is to use our standalone launcher and register regular Wurm Online accounts.

• Like 2

Just now, Samool said:

If you want to share accounts, which we don't recommend although we still allow it for sharing with up to 2 other people, your best bet is to use our standalone launcher and register regular Wurm Online accounts.

Will functionality ever be added for the steam client to share accounts or is that something that isn't being looked at

1 minute ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Will functionality ever be added for the steam client to share accounts or is that something that isn't being looked at

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Samool said:

Thank you for clearing that up

If I'm planning on playing on the new steam servers do I need to create the account though steam and pay premium through steam as well?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kodos said:

If I'm planning on playing on the new steam servers do I need to create the account though steam and pay premium through steam as well?

No, you can create it through the regular launcher and use the regular shop after this current server restart. Give it 30 minutes or so.

There aren't really any "steam servers", there is a PvE (Harmony) server and a PvP (Defiance) server that are being launched at the same time as the Steam client.

No, to play on either of those servers you don't need to make a character through the Steam client.  You can use the traditional Wurm Online client and start a character in about one hour to use on the new servers.  Or, of course, you could use the new Steam Wurm Online client and play through Steam.\

Just keep in mind that any character created through Steam will only be playable through Steam (at least for the foreseable future) and characters created using the traditional client will only be playable through the tradtional Wurm Online client.

• Like 1

Ok call me slow. but do I make a new account on wurm website or just log in to the steam servers with a name? bit confuzzeled

5 minutes ago, RavenLure said:

Ok call me slow. but do I make a new account on wurm website or just log in to the steam servers with a name? bit confuzzeled

Just type in a name in the box on top right before logging in, registering an account thru the website means you can't use that account on steam, so avoid the website unless you plan to use the other client, not the steam one. You don't need an email or password for steam, since the steam version of the client uses your steam ID.

If the name is already taken you'll get a message when logging in and have to try another.

Edited by Zenity

10 minutes ago, Zenity said:

If the name is already taken you'll get a message when logging in and have to try another.

OK, which one of you's stole my idea to create a new acct. named "ErrorCode35" ?

:D

Couldn't you technically just create a new steam account, get wurm on it, and then share the whole account?