Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

New lands are waiting...

55 minutes ago, Carmichael said:

What's the plan if say the server limit's get maxed out because of overflow of new people coming?

The new servers will definitely max out; at that point anyone trying to login will be met with a server is full message, and will simply have to wait. I'm unsure if WO has queues, though.

All the more reason to make the XP buff a newbie 24 hours buff, like food and aggro now are, rather than trying to force everyone onto the server precisely at 1900CET.  

People could then opt to relax and join the next day, or the day after, so that nobody gets hyper stressed and frustrated.

The majority will STILL want to be in that first initial hour, there is a dynamic excitement from being part of an event, and there is still a "land grab" pushing people to log in as early as they feel comfortable.

Existing players on the Southern Cluster could maybe get three sleep powders instead to use at their leisure, or maybe if you want people to actually log in, have some type of time window like Christmas presents, where they get a sleep powder for every login between July 24-27, at least 12 hours apart, up to  a max of three.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, atazs said:

Creature count needs to be balanced out.

Harmony:

https://harmony.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/creatures.html

Compared to Independence (same size):

http://freedom001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/creatures.html

Too many non aggressive creatures at the moment. 

servers start with less aggressive ones for a few days so folks don't rage quit being killed every 100-200 tiles of walking .  the count goes up over time and will = the other servers .  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, validate said:

servers start with less aggressive ones for a few days so folks don't rage quit being killed every 100-200 tiles of walking .  the count goes up over time and will = the other servers .  

To be fair, if it's anything like Inde, it's not like Inde is teaming with mobs to begin with. lol

3 hours ago, Samool said:

Starting tomorrow, new characters will start on Golden Valley and the portals there will have the new servers as added destination choices.

Seems there are a lot of people wanting to know when tomorrow this can be done please? Do they have to wait until the hour of server launch? When is it safe to prepare a character?

Edited by SmeJack
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Jore said:

The new servers will definitely max out; at that point anyone trying to login will be met with a server is full message, and will simply have to wait. I'm unsure if WO has queues, though.

man that would be weird having a login queue for wurm...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

Seems there are a lot of people wanting to know when tomorrow this can be done please? Do they have to wait until the hour of server launch? When is it safe to prepare a character?

when you can login via steam then it would be safe

Just now, Jeston said:

when you can login via steam then it would be safe

Not everyone cares about, has or wants steam

• Like 1

Just now, SmeJack said:

Not everyone cares about, has or wants steam

Again, WHEN you can see that it released on steam, THEN make a new character and log into the normal client.

15 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

This will likely be some time before the launch, but until we specify it here, assume it's not safe to start a character. We'll make sure we post a notice once you can create a character that'll be able to go to the new servers.

• Like 11

@SamoolCan you also explain the procedures for a GM converting players to religion?  Is it going to be a staff member literally standing at the token using a wand on player after player after player?  On GV or on Harmony? Do we all line up in queue? For a few hours?    (Might be easier to have an Alter of Three right at GV spawn, maybe the first 24 hours only, then it *poofs*)

ALSO: will there be a tutorial on GV, or tutorials after you go through a portal, or no tutorials at all? Will Harmony have something like Haven?

There will be a tutorial on Golden Valley, and there'll be NPCs to set your starting faith on Harmony.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Samool said:

This will likely be some time before the launch, but until we specify it here, assume it's not safe to start a character. We'll make sure we post a notice once you can create a character that'll be able to go to the new servers.

This would be awesome to have character creation and GV available tonight (Aussie time), for those of us that are in a timezone where server kick off is 3am.  

Just curious the 2018 post by enki about weather affecting armor and needing campfires is that going to be in when steam launches?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nublet123 said:

Just curious the 2018 post by enki about weather affecting armor and needing campfires is that going to be in when steam launches?

This sounds from the time and date like an April Fools post by someone in a different timezone than mine: 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, nublet123 said:

Yeah was an April Fools joke by Enki

• Like 1

Beautiful job on those maps Saroman, as always! ❤️ 

I'm eyeballing Harmony and there are so many potentially pretty spots to go for! I dunno what I'm gonna do!!

I think I'll just have to whip together a rowboat, set sail and see what what's out there.

So hyped to live the newbie life after all these years! It'll be so interesting to see how it feels to start fresh now with the knowledge I've accumulated over the years. I can imagine many of you feel the same!

• Like 11

Harmony is looking real pretty, it's my new desktop background. Can't wait to go exploring!

Still no hints on roughly where Harmony starter/s will be?  Since Defiance starters have been made known and all ;)

2 hours ago, Malena said:

I think I'll just have to whip together a rowboat, set sail and see what what's out there.

Good luck with that :)

• Like 3

the cap for the new servers is 1500, this is all running on the same machine so the server will 1000% crash before even reaching the cap. Dont worry about a queue or anything. I think some people over-estimate how many people are waiting for the steam release. And not by a small amount either..

17 minutes ago, Haseroths said:

the cap for the new servers is 1500, this is all running on the same machine so the server will 1000% crash before even reaching the cap. Dont worry about a queue or anything. I think some people over-estimate how many people are waiting for the steam release. And not by a small amount either..

I think devs prepare to hight online with steam players, so no worry 😃 

7 minutes ago, Goremor said:

I think devs prepare to hight online with steam players, so no worry 😃 

no my point was that theres no way the server would be able to feasibly reach the cap of players without crashing. You have to remember that this is 1500 for one map, all running on the same hardware. This is not a sharded map like on hypixel or w/e