Sign in to follow this  
Razorblade

Wurm Online Has 11,000 Wishlists on Steam

1 minute ago, Razorblade said:

Unreal and Unity are great for making games when a developer does not have the time or money to develop an engine itself, but they suffer from a lack of specialization. All of Wurm's features could be reproduced in those engines, sure, but optimization is the name of the game with a sandbox MMO. Wurm runs so well because the Wurm engine was built to do Wurm and nothing else. By changing to a general purpose engine, you introduce unnecessary bloat, and limit your ability to optimize.

This isn't entirely accurate, at least not anymore. The time saved would outweigh any lack of optimization. The cries against game engines due to optimizations are a bit dated now, due to the (over)power of computer hardware. The devs that run into issues are the less experienced. Which I mentioned earlier obviously couldn't reproduce something like Wurm anyway. We're talking an ideal scenario, big team, lots of money, etc.  Unity and Unreal both can be stripped down very far as well. Which again is gonna save time vs. building an engine from scratch. 

I guess it doesn't matter that I love and support Wurm. The forum defense mechanism gonna defend all day XD

2 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

[graphs]

This is from around the Xanadu launch, from one of BDew's scripts, and indicates Xanadu alone had 2000+ players ingame at any one time

[graphs]

5700 concurrent players, in MY Wurm? Based on the top graph I think that's a view of "active" players. Could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Razorblade said:

Wurm runs so well

Do we even play the same game?

1 hour ago, atazs said:

Perhaps the (hopefully) upcoming money from the Steam release could be used to finally get rid of the "we are a small dev team" excuse that i keep hearing going on for 14 years? 

It's not really an excuse more like stating a fact. Wurm have and so far always had a very small development team.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Delacroix said:

Do we even play the same game?

Games with player-made buildings tend to run much worse. Have you ever played Conan Exiles, Rust, or Atlas? Those games lag to hell anytime you get within draw distance of something larger than a wooden hut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chakron said:

5700 concurrent players, in MY Wurm? Based on the top graph I think that's a view of "active" players. Could be wrong.

Ah I misread BDew's "the current premium player count in game", my apologies for the mistake.

Still I am nearly certain I can personally recall logging in to the login announcement of 1200 players online at once on Indy in Fall 2011 (Indy was literally bursting at the seams just before Deliverance opened), so the numbers didn't seem that impossible given that Wurm was undergoing pretty spectacular growth in 2013 particularly. Xanadu was pretty popular its first year so a number besting Indy's record by not that much didn't seem that implausible.   

I wish I still had my event logs from back then to check that 1200 number, perhaps I am just getting senile again ...

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Based on my data for 2014 (average players online based on my logs)

2014-04 688.6667
2014-05 775.4
2014-06 1069.109
2014-07 1157.227
2014-08 844.3333
2014-09 699.5

So, the AVERAGE player population for 2 months was over 1000; 1200 is probably charitably low!

Note, this did not take into account the population of Epic during that time either (which was somewhat healthy).

I'm interested to see what tomorrows numbers will look like for all servers. Looks like a few people are getting things ready...

iAhdt3b.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Razorblade said:

Games with player-made buildings tend to run much worse. Have you ever played Conan Exiles, Rust, or Atlas? Those games lag to hell anytime you get within draw distance of something larger than a wooden hut.

If you're using a computer that was obsolete in 2012, maybe. Meanwhile, I can build massive structures with maxed settings in Conan and Atlas and average much higher framerates than I can in Wurm.

As much as I love the game, it runs like absolute dogshit.

Edited by Delacroix
  • Like 2

Btw, it currently is winter ingame. Will it be so for the Steam servers as well?

The game looks much better when it is summer and could make a better first impression on new players.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Unity or Unreal would not be able to handle what wurm does, nor would it work/function better. 

Yes yes it most def will be able to handle what wurm does really really well if you look at the core of what wurm does its able to do that kind of stuff in unreal

As for performance client side yes better way better after initial start, server side depends a lot on optimizations across the board from things like simulating parts of the servers where there are no people around(for example sw of a corner of a map where there are no players right now a bear attacking a pig is played out in real time that whole combat and every animal walking around all done in real time) and many other tweaks that can be done and often get done in more modern mmo's on the serverside

But in the end of the day what it will come down to is the experience and knowledge the dev has in working with the engine and c++ and from what i know about the dev team currently its minimal to none in unreal engine and basic to mediocre for c++

Coding the logic of wurm over and recreating the systems to act close or exactly the same is not really "insanely hard" or even difficult its just time consuming for anyone who has the experience with both, the things that will be harder is the wurm quirks that have shown up in the code over the years due to multiple interactions with things but overall even the most "complex" game mechanics arent that hard to recreate