Sign in to follow this  
Thalius

Suggestion aimed at helping avoid in game confusion when unable to complete certain actions.

I was unsure exactly what to title this suggestion, but I gave it my best shot. :P

I had an issue earlier today regarding an off deed waystone that is no longer connected to a highway system.  The wiki says that waystones can be pried up with a crowbar, just as cateyes are.  However, I had no option to pry up the waystone when activating a crowbar, nor the option to bash using any other tool either.

After talking in CA and then putting in a support ticket I learned that if anything at all is still connected to the waystone, such as an empty wagoner container, the waystone cannot be removed.  Alrighty, that makes sense.  I'll contact the player that owns the container, who is a friend and is working in the area with me on our current project. Problem solved.

The suggestion that comes out of this experience though is this-

When an action of any kind cannot be completed for some reason, please do not remove the option from the menu.  Leave that option there, and when the player attempts the action and fails, the game should give a message explaining why.

In the situation I was in earlier today, I should have had the option in the pop up menu to pry up the waystone with a crowbar, but when trying to do so I should have received a message saying that the waystone cannot be pried up while a container is still attached to it.  This would have saved a lot of confusion on my end followed by 20 minutes of trying to find an answer and then putting in a support ticket to learn what the issue was.

When any action cannot be preformed, leave the option on the pop up menu and then have the game give a message explaining why the action cannot be completed when the player attempts the action.

Very happy player here who wants to see the game do well. Not complaining, but this issue wasted a lot of time before I gave up trying to figure it out and started asking around.  

Just wanted to offer a suggestion to help improve the in game experience and understanding of issues we run into that prevent us from doing things that seem should be easy to figure out.

Humbly submitted...
~TH~

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 2