Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 22/JUL/20

4 hours ago, atazs said:

I don't understand why the pelt was nessecary

Pelts should be earned, it helps you understand you will need to get better at butchering to procure better pelts for more efficient skilling

This is a stupid change. Why not just increase the chances of getting a pelt from butchering? 

A 5ql pelt isn't going to break the game. It's next to useless against a high quality pelt. It seems like Jackal was difficult for lack of pelts. Why be so against having something that is only slightly helpful?

4 hours ago, atazs said:

This is a stupid change. Why not just increase the chances of getting a pelt from butchering?

Because it still does not solve the issue of being able to 1) find a creature that drops pelts and 2) having the FS necessary to kill it which can be difficult for a new player and will certainly be a challenge on Harmony with the gates open. It's a 5ql pelt, it's going to be returned to nature as soon as possible and if anyone feels that it's robbing them of the experience of self sufficiency, then they can always drop it on the ground. I bet some piles will be seen anyway, from dropped gear in the starting town on Harmony by people that want to start with primitive tools.

Edited by Whane

8 hours ago, DevBlog said:
PatchNotes-1.png
  • Bugfix: Fixed an issue causing lawn tiles to appear in caves after a collapse and remine.
  • Change: Unicorn spawn rates have been significantly decreased. Lava fiends will no longer spawn on steppe or bush tiles.
  • Bugfix: Jackal lodestones should no longer spawn after Rift closings.
  • Bugfix: Low-difficulty bulk items with guaranteed creation success will now properly display a 100% chance of success in the crafting window and right-click menus.
  • Change: Roll out some changes needed for launching the new servers and for bringing Wurm Online to Steam!
  • New: Fresh characters will now start with a 5ql pelt.

ya for pelt but do we start with a rope? 

9 hours ago, SirMuttley said:

Not to nitpick but I made a large anvil as well since it was missing. Basically the iron vein in Havens gives noobs the opportunity to make anything they need to start.. except for a pelt. I suppose we could debate he "good old days" where folks had to walk uphill both ways in the snow to fetch a pail of water but I'm not sure that giving a new player a super low QL pelt is going to break the game. 

Back in the old days the game used to punish you for not playing by degrading your skills if you were offline for too long and then it also punished you for playing by removing parts of your raw materials if you failed to craft something.  This is why some of the old players enjoy the parts of the game that are frustrating, they ended up becoming masochists from playing the game for too long in the early days.  Don't worry though, it's painfully obvious that the devs now are looking at making this game much more inclusive and trying to reach a broader audience and I think it's one of the best things that has happened to Wurm in years.  Being more inclusive and open minded is always a good thing.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, atazs said:

Because one of the first things a newbie does is make a cart to transport his stuff, iron ore included so he can smelt it down to make more items. That requires carpentry and imping said cart. When that pelt symbol pops up you know his work will suddenly be delayed due to it. My first instinct in wurm when I started out was to kill a bear/wolf with the help of guards to get its pelt. It only had fur. Then I had to go on the wiki and find out what gave pelts. Fortunately there was a cat spawner near starter town so I got luck. But for others?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, elentari said:

Because one of the first things a newbie does is make a cart to transport his stuff, iron ore included so he can smelt it down to make more items. That requires carpentry and imping said cart. When that pelt symbol pops up you know his work will suddenly be delayed due to it. My first instinct in wurm when I started out was to kill a bear/wolf with the help of guards to get its pelt. It only had fur. Then I had to go on the wiki and find out what gave pelts. Fortunately there was a cat spawner near starter town so I got luck. But for others?

Yes, so is the situation for a beginner. When I started, I quite fast ran into the "pelt crisis" issues, especially as I did not want to take offers to mail me a pelt - I thought I could do that on my own. The problems arising were that there were very few fitting targets: few cats, and granted I hated and still hate to kill cats, but did though, killed all dogs all around my area, was too weak to kill mountain lions, and there were not a single rat all over the environs of my starter town. Roaming farther out needed better equipment and more experience.

Moreover, a beginner has to kill scores of targets before looting the first pelt, usually the corpses drop pelts the last of all, and often in worse ql than 5. A butchering knife helps, but also best in better ql for which it needs imping, running into the pelt issue fast. So a beginner may be running in circles from one issue into the other.

The solution with the 5 ql pelt is a good one. It does in no way relieve from the need for better pelts as the starter one will be gone soon.

• Like 1

The pelt is a very good addition.

Is it a generic pelt, or from a specific animal?  A generic pelt will not tell the new player which animals give pelts, whereas a rat pelt, for example, will guide the player to at least of the right animals to source more.

• Like 1

Unicorn spawn rates have been significantly decreased

tenor.gif?itemid=4120925

Also 🥳 Woohoo, noobie pelt!

Sign in to follow this