Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 22/JUL/20

PatchNotes-1.png
  • Bugfix: Fixed an issue causing lawn tiles to appear in caves after a collapse and remine.
  • Change: Unicorn spawn rates have been significantly decreased. Lava fiends will no longer spawn on steppe or bush tiles.
  • Bugfix: Jackal lodestones should no longer spawn after Rift closings.
  • Bugfix: Low-difficulty bulk items with guaranteed creation success will now properly display a 100% chance of success in the crafting window and right-click menus.
  • Change: Roll out some changes needed for launching the new servers and for bringing Wurm Online to Steam!
  • New: Fresh characters will now start with a 5ql pelt.

31 minutes ago, DevBlog said:
PatchNotes-1.png

• New: Fresh characters will now start with a 5ql pelt.

After all these years FHS give them a Sickle too 

• Like 2

I think you can create a sickle pretty easy but finding a pelt might be really difficult.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Maiya said:

After all these years FHS give them a Sickle too 

Why a sickle? That's pretty easy to create and only really necessary for forestry?

A pelt on the other hand requires a butchering knife, enough fs to kill a pelt giving creature, actually finding such a creature without dying and actually getting a pelt from the butchering action. Jackal was so annoying at the start, not being able to find a pelt for ages.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thassadar said:

I think you can create a sickle pretty easy but finding a pelt might be really difficult.

If it was that easy all newbie had made it :)

you need quite alot to make one .....and as a newbie.........well .......

Just now, Maiya said:

The easy creep is real and has ruined many good multi player games.  It starts like this. Don't let it happen here. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Maiya said:

The lack of a sickle is not a prohibitive situation, whereas Jackal taught us the lack of pelts leaves many unpolished responses. 

• Like 13
  • Cat 1

2 minutes ago, Maiya said:

I'm a noob and I made a sickle without much difficulty in Havens. A pelt however I was lucky enough to find one left in the "stuff or noobs" pile outside of the city. I thank the kind stranger who left that.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, SirMuttley said:

I'm a noob and I made a sickle without much difficulty in Havens. A pelt however I was lucky enough to find one left in the "stuff or noobs" pile outside of the city. I thank the kind stranger who left that.

I guess someone alrdy made large and small anvil and forge for u to use then :)

And ofcourse the mine to get the iron :)

And yes maybe starterdeeds will be like that now and in future if so it will be easy to make 

gratz to the find of pelt :)

So from now on we dont need to see deforrest since newbies can plant new trees :)

8 minutes ago, Maiya said:

I guess someone alrdy made large and small anvil and forge for u to use then :)

And ofcourse the mine to get the iron :)

And yes maybe starterdeeds will be like that now and in future if so it will be easy to make 

gratz to the find of pelt :)

So from now on we dont need to see deforrest since newbies can plant new trees :)

Not to nitpick but I made a large anvil as well since it was missing. Basically the iron vein in Havens gives noobs the opportunity to make anything they need to start.. except for a pelt. I suppose we could debate he "good old days" where folks had to walk uphill both ways in the snow to fetch a pail of water but I'm not sure that giving a new player a super low QL pelt is going to break the game. 

• Like 2

I like the added pelt idea and it is only QL 5, so helps getting things started like creating a QL 10+ large cart.    I recall making my first large cart and getting it to  9.8 before needing a pelt to continue imping.

• Like 4

I don't understand why the pelt was nessecary

Nothing requires pelts to be finished now, you only need one to imp stuff. The only thing you might need a pelt for to "finish" is a large cart which can be used regardless, just not ridden on, and boats. 

By the time you built a large cart and can ride one, you have most likely stumbled upon a rat. And boats are supposed to be early mid game, no newbie in their right mind will make a boat right away. 

Pelts should be earned, it helps you understand you will need to get better at butchering to procure better pelts for more efficient skilling

This is a stupid change. Why not just increase the chances of getting a pelt from butchering? 

And for the love of god, definietly no sickles. 

Edited by atazs

2 hours ago, Snowmantis said:

I like the added pelt idea and it is only QL 5, so helps getting things started like creating a QL 10+ large cart.    I recall making my first large cart and getting it to  9.8 before needing a pelt to continue imping.

I have been messing around on a new char lately and I ran into this EXACT thing lol.  A pelt would be an absolute nightmare on server start considering all the people killing every mob in sight.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, atazs said:

I don't understand why the pelt was nessecary

Nothing requires pelts to be finished now, you only need one to imp stuff. The only thing you might need a pelt for to "finish" is a large cart which can be used regardless, just not ridden on, and boats. 

By the time you built a large cart and can ride one, you have most likely stumbled upon a rat. And boats are supposed to be early mid game, no newbie in their right mind will make a boat right away. 

Pelts should be earned, it helps you understand you will need to get better at butchering to procure better pelts for more efficient skilling

This is a stupid change. Why not just increase the chances of getting a pelt from butchering? 

And for the love of god, definietly no sickles. 

We learned of the pelt issue on Jackal. You get a crappy pelt. If you don’t like it so much, just throw it on the ground. Starting with one makes it no less hard to learn about getting better ones. 

Also at a certain point you hit a wall on improving practice doll, archery target and other stuff which helps you become able to get better pelts (i.e. explore and find more mobs without dying all the time)

Edited by LionIX

3 hours ago, Snowmantis said:

We had a new player that we recruited to join our alliance quit over just that situation very recently. They would not let us give them a pelt or anything else- they wanted to take what the game had given them and figure it out for themselves from there. They wandered around as a newb for days trying to acquire a pelt on their own so they could imp a cart above 10ql, but in the end quit in frustration.

Also pelts decay really fast and can't be repaired.  So if a new player drops theirs, at 5 QL it'll likely be gone rather than recycled for another's use or stored. They can't be stored in BSBs, of course, so it'd take an alt inventory or bank (or $$ magic chest) to prevent decay if you're not planning on keeping it with you to use.

2 hours ago, LionIX said:

We learned of the pelt issue on Jackal. You get a crappy pelt. If you don’t like it so much, just throw it on the ground. Starting with one makes it no less hard to learn about getting better ones. 

Also at a certain point you hit a wall on improving practice doll, archery target and other stuff which helps you become able to get better pelts (i.e. explore and find more mobs without dying all the time)

The new servers are nothing like Jackal. 

2 hours ago, Thalius said:

We had a new player that we recruited to join our alliance quit over just that situation very recently. They would not let us give them a pelt or anything else- they wanted to take what the game had given them and figure it out for themselves from there. They wandered around as a newb for days trying to acquire a pelt on their own so they could imp a cart above 10ql, but in the end quit in frustration.

This is so stupid. The person is at fault there, not the game 

Remind them what creature gives pelts, tell them/guide them to where they can find said creature.

Edited by atazs

35 minutes ago, atazs said:

This is so stupid. The person is at fault there, not the game 

Remind them what creature gives pelts, tell them/guide them to where they can find said creature.

Maybe as a compromise someone could put up a sign in the starting area telling newbs to drop the pelt for "old-school" play? That way folks that want to play the old way have a heads up, and others can start out with a extremely low QL pelt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SirMuttley said:

Maybe as a compromise someone could put up a sign in the starting area telling newbs to drop the pelt for "old-school" play? That way folks that want to play the old way have a heads up, and others can start out with a extremely low QL pelt.

Yes, nudge them in the tutorial 

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The lack of a sickle is not a prohibitive situation, whereas Jackal taught us the lack of pelts leaves many unpolished responses. 

As a Devout Libila Follower, I disagree. >=D

5ql is better than nothing, but I think it should be 10 ql, like the other starter tools

Sign in to follow this