Sign in to follow this  
Hammer

Player Transport like Wagoner

I don't follow the suggestions area much. This concept my already exist from another player. But I think it's a really cool idea. 

Essentially many players don't like traveling much because of how much time it takes and it's risky if you don't have a vehicle or good armor.

I suggest that they use the existing highway methods to create a second type of wagoner that transports characters instead of cargo. It would be very convenient to board a train car (or similar vehicle) and pay a fee to transport your character to another settlement. I think a lot of the wagoner stuff could be copied into a new transporter system. The vehicle has a capacity for a few characters at once, where we can't be harmed by mobs while traveling. I think it has a lot of potential and could be a separate 10 silver item. It would make travel more convenient, safer, and no potential for getting lost while traveling. If we exit the vehicle while moving there wouldn't be any need to be able to get back inside. A point-A to point-B concept would be good enough if re-entering were impossible. 

Travel by ship would still be viable because of crossing borders and not costing players money for transport. No system would be broken or become obsolete by adding this feature.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

It has suggested plenty of times before and there are still plenty of reasons as to why it should not be implemented. When I played on Freedom, I used to make my coin from running a cog between various "urban areas" on Independence. You can't do that anymore. In Wurm, we need more reasons to travel to each other and stay close - not fewer. Trade used to be regional for a reason.

• Like 3

A carriage system...I like it. It would make mobility so much better for the cartless traveler. +1 I'm always for more freedom to explore!

Edited by Katrat
  • Like 1

@John the first thread you linked looks different from my suggestion.  That guy wanted a method for modifying his wagon to accommodate more players and less cargo space. I'm not recommending we convert a wagon to a passenger vehicle.
The second link looks to be similar but leaves out some important details that would make it viable. The third link looks like the person intended using the current wagoner to have a passenger spot. I think my concept is a little different. 

In any case, your main argument was that "we need more reasons to travel to each other" and this idea would provide you with another method of traveling to others. Ships would still be useful in their own ways since wagoners can't travel over water and bridges/routes take a lot of time and resources to construct.
Travel by ship is still the only way of moving bulk across servers

Sending a single item by mail is still the fastest method to move one or two items across the map or to another server.
The wagoner moves bulk, but is slow.

An automated transport would give players an opportunity to make small deliveries on their own using their inventory, so sleep powders and other un-mailable things could be delivered by a player that otherwise doesn't have access to skills or vehicles that are required for other travel methods

Having an automated method for transporting players would give players another option for travel and not really make any other methods obsolete. Mailboxes would still be useful. Ships are still useful. Regular carts and wagons would still be useful since they would be faster and can maneuver or make stops/change course on a whim.

I have a feeling more players would be traveling more often if they had some kind of automated way of doing it without fear of dying by mobs while en route.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hammer said:

without fear of dying by mobs while en route

This is where you lost me. I have no issue if someone wants to sit for an hour afk on an automatic cart that can only use roads, but I draw the line when this makes them invincible.

Wurm is a player-driven, sandbox game. If you want safe roads, pick up a sword, and go make them safe. Otherwise, pay your local group of ruffians to do it. However, if you want the developers to completely trivialize mobs, you may as well ask for instant fast travel to be implemented.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, John said:

there are still plenty of reasons as to why it should not be implemented

There are far more threads than you linked and those "reasons" you allude to have been demolished in these threads.

Even these ones you list are easily debunked:

Some commuting routes are prohibitively long and dull, a carriage system would - if anything - be a reason to travel to eachother again when it would otherwise consume a whole playsession. You're implying that another option for travel is a reason not to travel. That is ridiculously false.

And because even automated travel will swallow your playsession (though you can at least do something else, so it's a "day off"), being closer to eachother is still preferrable - if you want a tight knit community. It is not a reason against denser neighbourhoods.

But that isn't the reality of Wurm anymore mostly, and some people prefer to generally live a bit off. Naturally they will get more travel time if they want to be at someone else's, and that is fine. But you know what will help them be less apprehensive about initiating the travel? Utilizing a perfectly fine system that is nearly already in place and just screams to be used for automated travel.

I'm still waiting to see those reasons that hold up to the slightest bit of scrutiny and aren't just people trying to impose their ideal of Wurm on everyone else.

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

without fear of dying by mobs while en route.

Eh, I think it can do without and it's still a better alternative to manually adjusting your cart endlessly (wasn't there an update that lets you snap to cardinal directions at least?)

I understand this may be coming from a newbie perspective who cannot idly ignore mobs stacking up behind them, and maybe there's a point to be made that this system is specifically to bridge over "conventional gameplay". Requiring a minimum of observation while doing something else (and far more worthwhile), however, doesn't seem unreasonable, since there is a similar rule about macros.

Maybe a "pause" function would be good to let the player deal with this as they see fit: flee/pull mobs elsewhere and return, call the guards, fight for yourself.

On the second note, roads aren't that costly to be made per se. To make them safe for newbies/unskilled fighters would require guard towers in the smallest intervals. That would make "safe" travel adaequately expensive in terms of infrastructure to be built.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 2

Remove spirit houses, that feature that has diminished player travel far more than auto player transport even.

Edited by Jeston
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

I agree to Flubb. Non or not necessarily interactive inter deed transport would be a great thing. Prerequisite would be that players can mount a transport and stay embarked when logging out. So they could choose either to watch the journey - with a certain risk of being attacked and killed by mobs underway - or just travel offline being dropped at the destination deed.

Low level players recently are living under kind of a de facto curfew as they will be killed with some certaincy once heading out of the starter areas. This has nothing to do with the mail system.

+1 to automating travel and having one more thing added that lessens the sandbox.

@HammerPublic transport is a good idea, I don't however like the idea of it transporting you while you are logged out. I don't also understand "getting lost on highway" - it is basically not possible if you do right click, find route on a waystone and will then just pay attention to all the waystones en route. 

4 hours ago, Jeston said:

Remove spirit houses, that feature that has diminished player travel far more than auto player transport even.

I support this being a new player, even though it will piss off many people that will have to build a boat/cart, get out of their deed perimeter and spend time on delivering (which could be used to finish orders) but they'll just have to work around that or loose their low prices (which would be good for the economy as other, newer players can enter it without having to sell their stuff for too low prices)

Carriages would be cool to make, could be made to look very fancy, lamps, velvet cloth seats, precious metal accents. Would be a pretty cool addition I would think most would agree. Also I think in addition, some type of passenger transport wagon, like a 3 seated buckboard style from mid to late 1800's? Actually i would even bet there was something like this as early as even as 13th century.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 2:19 AM, Flubb said:

Some commuting routes are prohibitively long and dull, a carriage system would - if anything - be a reason to travel to eachother again when it would otherwise consume a whole playsession. You're implying that another option for travel is a reason not to travel. That is ridiculously false.

And because even automated travel will swallow your playsession (though you can at least do something else, so it's a "day off"), being closer to eachother is still preferrable - if you want a tight knit community. It is not a reason against denser neighbourhoods.

But that isn't the reality of Wurm anymore mostly, and some people prefer to generally live a bit off. Naturally they will get more travel time if they want to be at someone else's, and that is fine. But you know what will help them be less apprehensive about initiating the travel? Utilizing a perfectly fine system that is nearly already in place and just screams to be used for automated travel.

I'm still waiting to see those reasons that hold up to the slightest bit of scrutiny and aren't just people trying to impose their ideal of Wurm on everyone else.

YES!

Eh, I think it can do without and it's still a better alternative to manually adjusting your cart endlessly (wasn't there an update that lets you snap to cardinal directions at least?)

I understand this may be coming from a newbie perspective who cannot idly ignore mobs stacking up behind them, and maybe there's a point to be made that this system is specifically to bridge over "conventional gameplay". Requiring a minimum of observation while doing something else (and far more worthwhile), however, doesn't seem unreasonable, since there is a similar rule about macros.

Maybe a "pause" function would be good to let the player deal with this as they see fit: flee/pull mobs elsewhere and return, call the guards, fight for yourself.

On the second note, roads aren't that costly to be made per se. To make them safe for newbies/unskilled fighters would require guard towers in the smallest intervals. That would make "safe" travel adaequately expensive in terms of infrastructure to be built.

I like your assessment, Flubb. Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not saying it's a perfect concept but I know a lot of people don't end up traveling very much because of the time commitment involved in moving from point A to point B, and doing so safely.  I feel 50/50 on the ups and downs of being able to do it while logged off, but it would reduce lag on the server to be able to do that while offline. Xanadu can take hours to cross. With bad wind it's worse, which leads people to hop servers just to reduce distance, which puts extra stress on the server to load new terrain for that user, only to hop again. You need to border cross 3 times to reach certain points of other maps to reduce your sailing distance and cut off some time. Besides, on a normal day many people need time for their families, their job, their significant other and they can't travel across a large map in a reasonable amount of time, so they put off travel until the weekend or another day that they have a lot of time or cancel their trip altogether

The reason I mentioned being able to use this type of transport safely, is that Wurm often has weird days in which I get hit while traveling by mount. On the days that the server doesn't tell me to slow down at 10km/hr, I still get hit by mobs that shouldn't be able to hit me. If I don't get to a safer spot eventually those small hits lead to a death, even in high quality drake armor. I can see these types of issues leading to a passenger transport vehicle still killing the people they're carrying before they arrive at their destination.

For that reason above all others, I suggest that mobs aren't able to attack the player being moved. If mobs could see the player as being behind a fence or something it would greatly reduce the margin of error with travel speeds and getting hit. Call it "safari mode". You're paying for a transport service so shouldn't protection be included in the fee?

Edited by Hammer

i always wished xanadu allowed travel from starter deed to starter deed. without /suicide and loosing all gear and some skills.    WU some servers have deed or town portals. would be nice for market to market.