Sign in to follow this  
Eirwengale

Make Winter more than Snowballs!

I'm a relatively new player, so I might be suggesting something that may be deemed unnecessarily cumbersome to the Vets, but I was thinking that deer seem to have no use but to be showcased or killed, and winter is nothing but pretty white bliss and snowballs, so I thought, why not add a sleigh? Make deer hitchable to sleighs, perhaps not limiting said sleighs to deer, but maybe give deer a sleigh buff.

The reason I was thinking of this, was that winter doesnt seem to serve any mechanic other than snow gathering and mob visibility, when show does so many things in real life! like.... slowing us down if we dont shovel driveways....

so, I was thinking it would be interesting if, to offset the fact that it's easier to spot mobs in winter, perhaps our vehicles with wheels should also face a small penalty, as wheels are indeed known to get stuck in snow, and many animals are unaccustomed to snow travel due to how heavy-footed they are. Hence, the suggestion of adding a new vehicle: sleighs, perhaps just the winter-practical version of the large cart, and to give deer some use if we can 1) hitch deer to pull sleighs and 2) more fleet-footed deer give a speed boost to sleighs as compared to other animals, which may also make them worthwhile to keep and breed.... like the nonexistent bison.

As we have to tame deer to lead them, I feel like it wouldnt be game-breaking to allow hitching as well, and to hitch multiple deer, we'd have to tame multiple times (so taming is more worthwhile as a skill). I think deer should remain hitched even if they go untamed if they were hitched when still tamed, to allow for this, but need to be tamed again if unhitched to be re-hitched. 

Aside from the more practical use of deer, winter mechanics and animal taming, Ski's (maybe equipable on the leg and hand slots, which means no weapons and boots while using these, but drastically increase downhill speed) and toboggans (ride-able small carts that use the slope-fall mechanic we already have as toons) would be fun additions too! though I don't see much use for them other than some fun winter-only activities, it would be great if winter became more than just snowballs ^^

Thanks for reading! Do give me feedback or criticism if anything >.< this was just a random idea that came up as I wandered the freshly snowed plains.

Edited by Eirwengale

I just started a couple of days ago so this is the first snow I've seen.

I like your idea.

And also to snowball off of it.. what about also adding mushing?   You know.. dog sleds or wolves on sleds.

Some nice suggestions, sadly most Wurm players hate winter, mostly because they are blinded by it because most people don't care to mess with monitor settings that come with default gamma that is 2x-3x too bright.

1 hour ago, AnotherChris said:

I just started a couple of days ago so this is the first snow I've seen.

I like your idea.

And also to snowball off of it.. what about also adding mushing?   You know.. dog sleds or wolves on sleds.

The wolves / dogs idea is great too! since they have no other practical use (and are led only via taming), it would give them a use :D hitching hostiles shouldnt be an issue, as we do so with hell horses already

1 hour ago, Wulfgar said:

Some nice suggestions, sadly most Wurm players hate winter, mostly because they are blinded by it because most people don't care to mess with monitor settings that come with default gamma that is 2x-3x too bright.

aye, so I've seen in some posts >.< maybe if winter was worth the suffering, it would be less hated? >.< I personally love winter, it's so pretty! I started in winter, so there's that too xD

Would love to see some more depth to seasons- winter in particular. 

Season related weather as well, and impact on crops that can be grown at given times of the year. 

Some items should only be found via foraging and botanizing during certain times of the year.

Deer and dog driven sleds would be a nice winter addition. Ice fishing. Snow drifts. Pack snow into blocks to build igloos and such. 

Of course, for much of that to have any real enjoyment factor, winters would need to last longer. 

Full, one quarter of the Wurm year long seasons anyone? 

With appropriate season specific game content, I'd personally be all for that.

Humbly submitted,
~TH~

Season related weather as well, and impact on crops that can be grown at given times of the year.

maybe add some season specific crops and make the others yield +1 per tile at their specific season? I'd really like that!

Some items should only be found via foraging and botanizing during certain times of the year.

season specific crops, brown leaves (ingredient?) in autumn and increased branch spawn rates, that could be interesting

don't know the current rates that seasons pass by, but making the calendar fit with 1 year having equally long seasons would be interesting aswell, just make sure you don't annoy the vets 

1 hour ago, Blablagame said:

...just make sure you don't annoy the vets 

Better not change anything then. Ever. 🤣

By the way, at which point does one become a veteran of the game anyway?

I think it's when you've established yourself well enough that you can do anything yourself, or when you can really talk about the flaws of wurm, I never was vet so I don't really know :D

1 hour ago, Alpengeist said:

It's when you look at /playtime and say HOLY SH🐵🐵!!!!!!

😂

I would love some more stuff added to make the seasons more interesting than snowballs and harvesting seasons, but I don't think adding a variation of a cart (sleigh with deers) is what I'm looking for. Sloping down a mountainside into a group of enemies however..

I like the idea of sleds but I don't see it working unless the seasons lasted longer and the lakes froze over. I would totally love to be able ice skate on frozen lakes! Just throwing that out there. ;)

Edited by Katrat
  • Like 1