Sign in to follow this  
Johndunnf

Taking Wurm Unlimited With Me Offline

I purchased Wurm Unlimited a couple years ago. However I plan to move to the country where Internet may not be available (at least until Elon Musk gets Starlink going for rural Canada etc.)

My question is this. Since I legitimately purchased the game is there any way for me to 'put the game on a drive or usb' as an .exe file or zip or anything like that so that if in the terrible event my hard drive dies and I need to install windows again fresh ... and if I do not have Internet access I can install wurm unlimited (not Wurm Online) from an offline file totally self-contained?

You can run steam in offline mode and so can wu with offline mode on the server that you can start up from the client technically yes you can

Just now, wipeout said:

You can run steam in offline mode and so can wu with offline mode on the server that you can start up from the client technically yes you can

You could get a second hard drive. Install a different copy of Windows (or OS you use). Install Steam/the game. Then swap back to your original hard drive. (SSD’s can be fairly small/light for this, especially if you go for M.2 form factor, but be sure to carefully store it)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LionIX said:

You could get a second hard drive. Install a different copy of Windows (or OS you use). Install Steam/the game. Then swap back to your original hard drive. (SSD’s can be fairly small/light for this, especially if you go for M.2 form factor, but be sure to carefully store it)

and create a backup of that and store that elsewhere on 2-3 usb's that way a few can die and you still got a full proper install that you can restore

1. Plug in your USB, open it in file explorer, and create a blank folder called "Program Files (x86)"
  2. Inside that folder, create another folder called "Steam"
  3. Now open Steam, and click "Steam" in the top left corner, and click "Settings"
  4. Find the "Downloads" tab of the menu that opens, and click "Steam Library Folders"
  5. Click "Add library folder" when the new window pops up.
  6. In the top part of this menu, there should be a place to select which drive you want to look for folders in. Change this from your hard drive (probably C:) to your flash drive (D:, X:, F:, etc.)
  7. Find the "Steam" folder you created earlier. Click "Select."
  8. Your flash drive's Program Files (x86)/Steam filepath should now show up when you click Steam Library folders, in addition to your main installation path
  9. Steam may occasionally "forget" your Flash Drive's filepath. All you have to do is repeat steps 3 through 7, and all of your games will still be there.
  10. As far as I am aware, Steam can only install a game if it is currently installed to none of your Steam library folders, so you'll need to delete Wurm Unlimited on your computer, and redownload it. However, now there will be a small menu at the bottom of the install prompt which lets you choose which drive to install it to. Choose your flash drive. You could also do this step on another computer that has Steam installed, but not Wurm Unlimited. Just repeat steps 3 - 7 on that computer to make it recognize the flash drive, and you should be good to install Wurm without having to delete anything on your first computer.
  11. After that finishes installing, you can eject your flashdrive, restart Steam, and reinstall it to your main drive as well, if you wish

You should now be able to play Wurm straight off the flash drive. Bear in mind, all of your save game files and such will still be saved to the same location, so this doesn't protect your saves from hard drive failure; only your ability to play the game.

Edited by Razorblade

Wow Thanks for all the responses and time it took to write them.

With my level of confidence and I know Razorblade that you did give a perfect explanation, it seems the easiest or least intimidating version for me at least is to simply setup a few blank 128Gig (cheap these days) SSD drives with windows, install steam, then install wurm unlimited. Then to test that drive is totally self sustaining offline, disconnect the Internet and try to play my own Wurm Unlimited server on that SSD (knowing it will always be a fresh start on each drive is fine with me as I can setup skills to 99) and go that route. Then I will have several backups.

I guess I could also just setup one drive test and get it working offline then learn how to use cloning software and clone drives which would work as well. if I have gotten this wrong let me know but if this would work thanks so much as it was from all of your comments that I was able to get to making it even possible to run my own Wurm unlimited Server offline So thank you for the suggestions and brainstorming everyone I greatly appreciate it.

Imagine a game that's so great you would even want to play it despite living in the great wilds myself .. amazing

• Like 1