Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

(re)Introducing Harmony (PvE) and Defiance (PvP)!

And please stop with the PM and AM stuff and just say 17.00 UTC (and GMT) time.

Do we have names for HotS and JK starting deeds too?

honor
distinction
integrity
rectitude

words

Edited by Red

43 minutes ago, griper said:

And please stop with the PM and AM stuff and just say 17.00 UTC (and GMT) time.

not everyone can subtract 12 and figure out the time, don't make it too complicated for them

G'day

The pvp server should've been named Walkabout nation.

-M.D

On 7/20/2020 at 6:11 PM, Entendu said:

I played MR in the past. I want that name for MR. 

That way it's not BL.

You're not MR. MR is for life. You're just another traitor that went BL

1 hour ago, Skatyna said:

Under that logic you're all a bunch of pre-traitors that haven't switched to BL yet.

6 hours ago, Skatyna said:

All hail Skatyna, chosen Gatekeeper of Magranon!

Was there a pic of the maps shown yet?? Will there be, before the launch?

1 hour ago, RavenLure said:

Was there a pic of the maps shown yet?? Will there be, before the launch?

Mayyyyybe

• Like 2

Question: Will we see an up to date map dump of existing servers popping up soon (to better help the new steam players navigate)

If so, would you be interested in a spreadsheet version of each map?

16 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Question: Will we see an up to date map dump of existing servers popping up soon (to better help the new steam players navigate)

If so, would you be interested in a spreadsheet version of each map?

Doubt it. We got a dump earlier this year. It’s quite a bit of work as they have to manually inspect each map for any writing/symbols that may appear. 

11 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Mayyyyybe

Oh you are soo terrible!  Give it up ! LOL lets peek to see what we are in for on Friday!

• Like 2

gratz to all the winners, and the new names are sooooo much better this time around.  ty for listening to the voice of the people this shows great humility and care for the thoughts of the community at large. :) 

• Like 1

How big is the pvp map I have concerns as everyone is talking like it's going to be one big server?!? (Elevation)  If so it will be a bloodbath which for the most pvp oriented might be fine but I certainly don't play on pvp for non stop pvp, I prefer the pve aspects with the ability to take part in pvp from time to time!  Epic Cluster was great for this because of travel time it gates pvp behind raids that needed to travel and was great for my playstyle! 

So far there is no map to look at???  Which is odd as every time you launched new servers in the past you usually teased us with maps for weeks if not months ahead of time?!?

Also why on earth are you not using the curve for a steam release???

You want to attract new players well your not going to do it with the most grindy version of the game!!! Just saying!!!  

You need a big shinny map for pvp like the epic cluster and you need skill gain that's even better than epic, if your really wanting to expand Wurm's playerbase....

Edited by sulfurblade
  • Cat 1

54 minutes ago, sulfurblade said:

How big is the pvp map I have concerns as everyone is talking like it's going to be one big server?!? (Elevation)  If so it will be a bloodbath which for the most pvp oriented might be fine but I certainly don't play on pvp for non stop pvp, I prefer the pve aspects with the ability to take part in pvp from time to time!  Epic Cluster was great for this because of travel time it gates pvp behind raids that needed to travel and was great for my playstyle! 

So far there is no map to look at???  Which is odd as every time you launched new servers in the past you usually teased us with maps for weeks if not months ahead of time?!?

Also why on earth are you not using the curve for a steam release???

You want to attract new players well your not going to do it with the most grindy version of the game!!! Just saying!!!  

You need a big shinny map for pvp like the epic cluster and you need skill gain that's even better than epic, if your really wanting to expand Wurm's playerbase....

Theres a difference between expanding a playerbase and making changes to the game.

You say rates should be running on Epic settings or even higher than that, makes the new servers far more appealing than any existing servers.

Reducing population and likelihood that new players would choose the pre-existing maps.

Skill rate is part of the way Wurm works and for many of us, despite the grumbling, is also part of the appeal. It adds to that accomplishment that you wont get with faster gains etc;

Wurm isnt a game for instant gratifaction.

Although all servers are paticipating in boosted gains for the weekend, so I hear.

Boosts are great, but they also give a bad first impression. You get folks who think the boost is the way things are normally.

ARK did this during the Epic Launcher release, and every player assumed the x4 rate was normal rates. There were a lot of angry people when it ended.

Edited by Zera

32 minutes ago, Zera said:

Theres a difference between expanding a playerbase and making changes to the game.

You say rates should be running on Epic settings or even higher than that, makes the new servers far more appealing than any existing servers.

Reducing population and likelihood that new players would choose the pre-existing maps.

Skill rate is part of the way Wurm works and for many of us, despite the grumbling, is also part of the appeal. It adds to that accomplishment that you wont get with faster gains etc;

Wurm isnt a game for instant gratifaction.

Although all servers are paticipating in boosted gains for the weekend, so I hear.

Boosts are great, but they also give a bad first impression. You get folks who think the boost is the way things are normally.

ARK did this during the Epic Launcher release, and every player assumed the x4 rate was normal rates. There were a lot of angry people when it ended.

LOL so you admit in type that increasing rates is something players would definitely want!  As the point of your argument is to say new players won't pick the old servers?

Uhm why make new servers if not to say hey new people welcome to Wurm a great friendly game where we have tailored it just for you and made the best new servers we could just for you!

By Raising our Skill rates and expanding the Land in PvP similar to the Epic cluster so every playstyle can enjoy the game the way they like it....  with the most blood thirsty living on the front lines and those who want a more leisurely life on the home servers???

No your argument is literally none of the new players will want to play your ancient server where everyone has 120 GM skill's that took them 10 years to grind???  Because they want to be a super noob among gods?

Instead we design a new pvp server that appeals to the most hardcore of our current player base and we will wonder why this new shiny server won't attract many new people?!?

Seriously I don't want to sound like negative nancy here as while I may have been gone for some time I put many years into this game!  And I would like to see it succeed but the current formula you have for steam release isn't going to do it!

In Fact you should be ashamed to go thru so much work to release on steam and then put such a shoddy product forward!

But this does actually appeal to lots of people. Having half baked PvP with safezones is what has lead to the issues that killed PvP in the past.
But I expect you've not been around too long since I've never seen someone who enjoys Epic as much as you claim to. Which is fine, but its time you get over the fact that this won't be Epic. Just because you weren't here for the years before Epic when PvP wasn't totally dead doesn't mean the way Defiance is set up isn't going to work. Statistically its more likely to work.

Wurm is a niche game. It caters to a more hardcore mindset. That's life. 
All this nonsense about shoddy product and scaring away players is just childish whining at this point. Wurm is what it is. Epic was a grand experiment that served to kill the core PvP experience. Thank the gods the devs are bringing real PvP back with Defiance. 

Edited by Red
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, sulfurblade said:

LOL so you admit in type that increasing rates is something players would definitely want!  As the point of your argument is to say new players won't pick the old servers?

Uhm why make new servers if not to say hey new people welcome to Wurm a great friendly game where we have tailored it just for you and made the best new servers we could just for you!

By Raising our Skill rates and expanding the Land in PvP similar to the Epic cluster so every playstyle can enjoy the game the way they like it....  with the most blood thirsty living on the front lines and those who want a more leisurely life on the home servers???

No your argument is literally none of the new players will want to play your ancient server where everyone has 120 GM skill's that took them 10 years to grind???  Because they want to be a super noob among gods?

Instead we design a new pvp server that appeals to the most hardcore of our current player base and we will wonder why this new shiny server won't attract many new people?!?

Seriously I don't want to sound like negative nancy here as while I may have been gone for some time I put many years into this game!  And I would like to see it succeed but the current formula you have for steam release isn't going to do it!

In Fact you should be ashamed to go thru so much work to release on steam and then put such a shoddy product forward!

Actually in my experience higher rates in games cause them to lose players faster. They reach "endgame" and grow bored with nothing more to do so they quit.

They cry for resets to start over or they quit because there is no more progress for them to make.

Boosting the new servers to higher than epic rates will do just that.

Especially on PVE!

Higher rates appeal to impatient children for a short time, with a lack of any true effort or barrier to pass they feel no real challenge and plug along until theres nothing more left.

Wurm isnt about accomplishing things quickly, if thats something folks want... Wurm isnt for them. Wurm is about the effort and time it takes to accomplish large cities and grand skills.

If you diminish thay by appealing to the crowd who wants a fast paced game, you lose what Wurm is in the first place.

So yes, there are players who want higher rates. For that they can join or create thier own Unlimited server.

Wurm Online is a very niche game for folks who enjoy the way it was designed, typically for folks who enjoy the effort and time it takes to reach the "endgame" it was designed to provide.

@Melros, server names are already chosen. Harmony for PvE and Defiance for PvP. 

57 minutes ago, Zera said:

Actually in my experience higher rates in games cause them to lose players faster. They reach "endgame" and grow bored with nothing more to do so they quit.

They cry for resets to start over or they quit because there is no more progress for them to make.

Boosting the new servers to higher than epic rates will do just that.

Especially on PVE!

Higher rates appeal to impatient children for a short time, with a lack of any true effort or barrier to pass they feel no real challenge and plug along until theres nothing more left.

Wurm isnt about accomplishing things quickly, if thats something folks want... Wurm isnt for them. Wurm is about the effort and time it takes to accomplish large cities and grand skills.

If you diminish thay by appealing to the crowd who wants a fast paced game, you lose what Wurm is in the first place.

So yes, there are players who want higher rates. For that they can join or create thier own Unlimited server.

Wurm Online is a very niche game for folks who enjoy the way it was designed, typically for folks who enjoy the effort and time it takes to reach the "endgame" it was designed to provide.

So yeah I agree with most of what you just said however there are some games that are so grindy even normal people shy away and decide its not worth it, Wurm is that game that caused many normal people to be like wow it's going to take me 10 years to gm smithing???  Yeah I am done with this and off they go....  And it also means late arrivals people who join the game after a server has been up for a time period feel that crushing weight of being a noob even more so in wurm.

I would agree with your points in 99% of all the other games out their many especially lately are not challenging at all.... But this one takes the extreme to new or (old) extreme's!

Edited by sulfurblade

Some people might be happier with Wurm Unlimited and faster modded servers.

I dunno, I never stay very long on a server that is faster speed (3x, 5x), I always end up restless and off to a new server after 3-6 months.

WO is the only one I spent years on the same character, same deed.