Sign in to follow this  
AnotherChris

New player questions - Mainly about PvP and Premium

I heard about this game for the first time cause I saw it posted in the MMO Sub on Reddit. Said it was coming to Steam in a week (I think 5 days from now) so I decided to give the original servers a go to practice and learn.

I've got experience in survival games and MMOs of all kinds ( the skills system reminds me of Everquest 1 and I love that)

I had a rough time Day 1 when I played it all day. Could not figure out what to craft to get going to where I could eventually get rid of my starter tools and sword.

I also tried a PvP server and didn't really understand how things worked so I have a few questions if someone could be so kind to answer them for me.

1. Could someone explain how PvP servers work? I'm a big PvPer mainly because it adds more caution and fear to the game which adds more interactions to the game weather good or bad.

What are Kingdoms?  Can you change Kingdoms? How can you change Kingdoms? Why does everyone start in the same Kingdom?   Is there anyway to tell what Kingdom a random player is in? Maybe by examining them or something?  I ask all these PvP questions because that's where I started was the PvP server and I attacked an AFK player on their own deed near the starting city and now I am always Kill On Sight and being ''hunted'' whatever that means? How do you remove hunted btw?

2. How does it work when transferring from the PvP server to the PvE server? I heard your skills nor items go with you so it's basically like having one character on one server and one character on another but you can't transfer anything back and forth and your skill levels will also not go hand in hand.

3.  The PvE server has one island/map that is PvP?  Can you build and live on that PvP island? Is there rare resources there? What's the reason for a PvP island on a PvE server?

4. I saw in a comment somewhere that PvP servers have rare resources or something to that extent.  If that is true then why doesn't everyone just play on the PvP server since you can't transfer the resources back to the PvE server?

5. Someone told me that starter gear was ''no drop'' meaning you don't lose it on death or anything.   Well if that's the case then why did I completely lose everything in my inventory when I died on a PvP server?  Was it because I died to actual PvP? Even though it was by the hand of a spirit/ghost and not an actual player?

6. I was reading the "Guide to the Freefolk'' and they made it sound like you could buy Premium with in game currency? Like 10 silver was enough for 2 weeks or something? Is that true?    Is there a difference in the Premium you buy with real money vs. the Premium you buy with in game currency? Do they give the same exact benefits?

7. Where do you see how much coin you have? I know I have zero starting out but it's nice to know these things.  Also, are their banks to keep it in? Or is it just bound to your account and you can never lose it even on PvP servers?

8. Is there a mail system in game? Can you send mail to other people directly or to other villages? How?      

9. Can you craft/make notes in game and leave them in different inventories or give them to other players?

10. I heard something about community made maps that are very detailed and have way more detailed than the in game maps.  Where do I find those?

11. Heard about the priest system or something about praying to gods to unlock magic. And I also believe I saw some altars at the starting city?  Anyone got more info on that? Is it best to start praying as soon as you start a character?

Sorry for all the questions guys. If I would have known this game was out 15 years ago I would have tried it back then. 

16 minutes ago, AnotherChris said:

Is there a difference in the Premium you buy with real money vs. the Premium you buy with in game currency? Do they give the same exact benefits?

Exact same benefits, no difference at all.

16 minutes ago, AnotherChris said:

7. Where do you see how much coin you have? I know I have zero starting out but it's nice to know these things.  Also, are their banks to keep it in? Or is it just bound to your account and you can never lose it even on PvP servers?

Settlement tokens are where you access banking. They look like this:
Settlement_token.png

21 minutes ago, AnotherChris said:

8. Is there a mail system in game? Can you send mail to other people directly or to other villages? How?

Yup! You can send items and money and even have people pay you for items you mail to them. You'll have to find a mailbox somewhere that's had Courier or Dark Messenger cast on it(both are identical enchants). There are a few different types of mailboxes, but they're usually about as big as a settlement token and look like a little house or castle, like this:
Spirit_cottage.jpg

24 minutes ago, AnotherChris said:

9. Can you craft/make notes in game and leave them in different inventories or give them to other players?

The skill "Papyrusmaking" covers all things that involve books and writing. You can also write on signs and name most any container to whatever you want.

26 minutes ago, AnotherChris said:

10. I heard something about community made maps that are very detailed and have way more detailed than the in game maps.  Where do I find those?

You'll find all manner of old and new maps here, including official map scans straight from the Wurm team.

27 minutes ago, AnotherChris said:

11. Heard about the priest system or something about praying to gods to unlock magic. And I also believe I saw some altars at the starting city?  Anyone got more info on that? Is it best to start praying as soon as you start a character?

There's several kinds of magic; priests, sorceries, meditation paths maybe count. You'll have to read more about them on the wiki, sorceries are rare, priests have to function under restrictions imposed based on their god, there's also a few magic items you'll typically find on traders like shaker orbs and rods of transmutation.

Sorry to say i don't know all that much about PVP, other than it's always going to be a group effort and not at all worth going in alone unless you really know what you're doing.

I'm not the most experienced player, but I'll try my best to answer most of your questions.

1. PvP generally involves warfare between different kingdoms. Your main goal is to build Guard Towers or conquer enemy Guard Towers to expand your kingdom's area of influence. You can build anywhere, but you can only place deeds and respawn within your kingdom's area of influence. There are other PvP activities you can engage in, such as raiding enemy settlements to steal some of the money in their upkeep pool, or just skirmishing with random enemy players for the loot on their bodies. Kingdoms are the factions you can be a member of, which determine your allies and enemies. They are split between the White Light (good) Kingdoms of Jenn Kellon, Mol Rehan, and the Freedom Isles, and the Black Light (evil) kingdom of the Horde of the Summoned (more on that in the religion section). You can change kingdoms by being converted by one of its members. Players in an enemy kingdom will be highlighted red when you hover over them, in comparison to the blue that your fellow citizens are highlighted in. You attacked someone of your own kingdom, which is illegal unless you are a part of the Horde of the Summoned, hence why you now have the "Hunted" status. I'm not familiar enough with the status to tell you how to get rid of it.
  2. This varies based on what servers you are going between. In the case of the new servers that are releasing in a few days, most stats transfer between servers, but none of your items do.
  3. There are no PvP islands in any PvE servers. Each large island is its own server.
  4. There are certain items that can only be obtained from missions on PvP servers, as well as unique magical artifacts, but they're nothing special enough that everyone is willing to lose everything they own over trying to obtain them. Some people just like to play Wurm in peace. Not my style, but to each their own.
  5. Your starter kit is no-drop, except for if you die in PvP combat. If you were to have died to a bear, you would have kept that equipment, but that doesn't apply since a player killed you. You'll want to get familiar with how to craft crude tools.
  6. That is correct. Premium time bought with silver and premium time bought with real money work exactly the same. So you can certainly play completely free, assuming you are sufficiently industrious. I'm going to say as a PvP player, though, you're unlikely to be making that much silver. Maybe if you go on a really successful raid, you could make enough, but PvP players tend to have more of a Communist outlook than the generally Capitalistic PvE servers. But there's going to be a brand new set of players in less than a week, so who knows what kind of economy will develop?
  7. Settlement Tokens, which are placed at the center of every deed, act as banks, which you can safely store your money in.
  8. Mail boxes can be crafted, and then enchanted by a priest of Fo or priest of Libila. You can send mail to any other player that is a member of your kingdom, which they can pick up at their local mailbox.
  9. Yes, you can use a reed pen filled with ink to write messages on a piece of paper.
  10. I'm not the best qualified to answer that. I've never really used a 3rd party map.
  11. I would say yes, start on faith as soon as possible. You can normally only gain faith 5 times per day, with at least 20 minutes between each skill gain, and high faith has some great benefits. At 30 faith, you can go to the Altar of the Three (for Fo, Magranon, and Vynora) or to the Bone Altar (for Libila) to become a priest, or a priest of your god with at least 40 faith can also make you a priest. Being a priest applies certain restrictions to your character, but allows you to cast spells dependent on your amount of faith, and the god you follow. Magranon and Libila are the gods with the biggest PvP focus. Their spells are focussed on damage, and making monsters do your bidding (via mind control and zombification, respectively). Vynora is all about grinding your skills faster, and has some decent enchantments and offensive spells as well. Fo is the god of healing and general pacifism. Very few of his spells are focused on offense, but he has some great healing and PvE spells. All of these spells expend favor, which is a slowly recharging stat, based on your Faith skills. It's effectively the mana/magicka of Wurm. In addition to priest magic, a few other kinds exist as well. On the new servers, anyone who creates a magic staff can expend a resource called Karma to cast a few basic spells, like summoning a creature as an ally. I don't remember how one gains Karma, but it is much less widely available. There are also 5 meditation paths one can join, which provide certain special abilities, like faster xp gain, teleporting to random places, etc. Most of these abilities are passive, though. So if you really want to get into magic, you're going to want to become a priest, and join an appropriate kingdom. If you want to be a priest of one of the White Light gods (Fo, Vynora, or Magranon), you want to join Mol Rehan or Jenn Kellon. If you want to be a priest of the Black Light god Libila, you want to join the Horde of the Summoned.
  • Like 1

3.  The PvE server has one island/map that is PvP?  Can you build and live on that PvP island? Is there rare resources there? What's the reason for a PvP island on a PvE server?

In responding to this question of the original post by AnotherChris above,  there was confusion in the last response post.

Yes, there is one PvP server/island/continent that is a part of the PvE Freedom Isles system.  Its name is Chaos, and it is full PvP. 

The fact that it's a part of the Freedom Isles system (soon to be referred to as the Southern Freedom Isles as opposed to the new 'Northern Freedom Isles' that the servers that open in a few days will be a part of) means that you can sail from any of the existing PvE servers to go do player vs player fighting on it.  The purpose?  To allow normally PvE Freedom Isles players to do PvP without a full commitment to playing in an exclusively PvP system (Epic).  Yes, you can build and live on Chaos though of course you (and your village) will always be under threat from other players.

Think of it as PvP that you can sail over to visit and sail back from if you're desiring the ability to play on a PvE area as well.  There's no portal you have to take, unlike the Epic system and its servers.

I hope this was able to answer your questions about the PvP location(server) on the PvE cluster (group of servers linked to each other)!   You might enjoy starting on one of the Freedom Isles PvE servers and making trips over to Chaos to become familiar with PvP in Wurm Online.  The way Chaos server as a PvP server is linked to the PvE cluster of servers is pretty unique for Wurm Online as it is right now.

Edited by Tristanc

There is the Epic cluster, made up of 4 PvP servers, and the Freedom cluster made up of several PvE only and a PvP server. There is no PvP island on any of the PvE servers. A map is a server. A cluster is a group of servers/maps. When you leave the map, you travel to a different map/server.

You can freely sail and bring items between each server that's in the cluster, with no skill loss. You can live on whatever server you want, there are no restrictions.

However you cannot transfer items when travelling between the clusters themselves, and skills might transfer differently too.

Edited by atazs

Thanks everyone above for answering. It's starting to make a little sense now.

I guess I do have one or two more questions.

1) If PvP has more rare resources.. would that mean the PvP Server Chaos on the Freedom cluster will have rare resources?

2) Are there quests and or missions? If so where do you start them?

Thanks again all

2 minutes ago, AnotherChris said:

2) Are there quests and or missions? If so where do you start them?

There are Valrei missions which constantly change and are available to everyone to contribute to, but aside from that not really.
You could always go around looking to do tasks for various people and getting paid.
There's the occasional player or even GM-run event, you'll commonly see Impalongs happening, those can be good fun.

PvP has a server wide event, called "Hunt of the Ancients" every other day that you can do and then the king of your kingdom gets rewards with some moon metals, that you can also get from Rifts on PvE servers. This is a group effort and as a newbie you will stand no chance. There are no exclusive resources to PvP.

There are no quests, but there are server wide missions that you can participate in. They are very specific and take a lot of items and effort, intended for everyone on the server to help with. I wouldn't bother with them as a newbie because they are very specific and rather hard, requiring a lot of different items/materials, and seeking out mobs in the wilderness. They give some sleepbonus to you when they are completed and you have also participated in them

Edited by atazs

Thanks again. I am back with a quick question then it's off to bed for me. 

I only had 78 weight on me. Don't remember if in game weight is in lbs or what but it said that my inventory weight and my equipment weight was 78 and that the max was almost 137.

My question is why was I moving at a snail speed when I wasn't near encumbered? I had 16 kindling on me. But it wasn't really heavy. Is that why?  If that is the cause of my problem could some explain it to me please? I don't understand why I would be moving as if I was overweight when i wasn't. 

See this page here.
At around that weight with starting stats you drop to 1/4th speed.
At a full 137 you'd drop to 1/20th speed.
Oh, also this information should be calculated for you in your equipment window, if you mouse over the little weight-shaped icon.

Edited by Metallumere

I took a 7 second video clip to show what I mean. I haven't walked this slow before with this much weight. The game says I should be at 75% movement speed with this much weight. But this feels much slower than 75%

http://imgur.com/a/uwJ3JY9

Anyone know why this is happening? 

Climbing isn't on. 

Just now, AnotherChris said:

I took a 7 second video clip to show what I mean. I haven't walked this slow before with this much weight. The game says I should be at 75% movement speed with this much weight. But this feels much slower than 75%

Climbing isn't on. 

you're at 25%, 66.5 weight is the limit for 75% and you're 10 over that.

42 minutes ago, AnotherChris said:

Climbing isn't on. 

See

7 hours ago, Metallumere said:

See this page here.
At around that weight with starting stats you drop to 1/4th speed.
At a full 137 you'd drop to 1/20th speed.
Oh, also this information should be calculated for you in your equipment window, if you mouse over the little weight-shaped icon.

It literally tells you in that gif you recorded that 75% speed reduction is at 66.5kg, but you are carrying 66.85kg

Edited by atazs

51 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

you're at 25%, 66.5 weight is the limit for 75% and you're 10 over that.

But it says I won't be at 25% movement speed until I hit 133 weight and I'm only at 76

Just now, AnotherChris said:

But it says I won't be at 25% movement speed until I hit 133 weight and I'm only at 76

No, it says you move at 100% speed till 38 weight, 75% till 66.5, 25% till 133, and don't move if you're over 133. "Limit" means when you go above it you go to the next level.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

No, it says you move at 100% speed till 38 weight, 75% till 66.5, 25% till 133, and don't move if you're over 133. "Limit" means when you go above it you go to the next level.

Thanks I get it now.

On 7/20/2020 at 3:04 AM, Tristanc said:

In responding to this question of the original post by AnotherChris above,  there was confusion in the last response post.

Yes, there is one PvP server/island/continent that is a part of the PvE Freedom Isles system.  Its name is Chaos, and it is full PvP. 

The fact that it's a part of the Freedom Isles system (soon to be referred to as the Southern Freedom Isles as opposed to the new 'Northern Freedom Isles' that the servers that open in a few days will be a part of) means that you can sail from any of the existing PvE servers to go do player vs player fighting on it.  The purpose?  To allow normally PvE Freedom Isles players to do PvP without a full commitment to playing in an exclusively PvP system (Epic).  Yes, you can build and live on Chaos though of course you (and your village) will always be under threat from other players.

Think of it as PvP that you can sail over to visit and sail back from if you're desiring the ability to play on a PvE area as well.  There's no portal you have to take, unlike the Epic system and its servers.

I hope this was able to answer your questions about the PvP location(server) on the PvE cluster (group of servers linked to each other)!   You might enjoy starting on one of the Freedom Isles PvE servers and making trips over to Chaos to become familiar with PvP in Wurm Online.  The way Chaos server as a PvP server is linked to the PvE cluster of servers is pretty unique for Wurm Online as it is right now.

Is this only for southern freedom isles?

1 hour ago, AragornII said:

Is this only for southern freedom isles?

If you mean Chaos server, yes it's a Southern Freedom Isles PvP server that can be sailed to only from the other servers on the Southern Freedom Isles.

There is no 'sail to' PvP server that's part of the Northern Freedom Isles (Harmony, Melody, and Cadence), only Defiance which is reached through a portal and that you use a portal to return from.