Sign in to follow this  
Gianna

Continued Etymological Discussion of Server Names

Edit: I guess the Steam server names have not officially been announced so this praise is speculative.

Edit 2: it's official!

TL;DR - Great job to the dev team with the updated server name selections. The new names better coincide with existing servers and in my opinion will better attract players both new and old.

Current servers:

Affliction - Middle English traced back to Latin

Celebration - Middle English traced back to Latin

Chaos - Latin, from Greek

Deliverance - Old French

Desertion - Middle French and late Latin

Elevation - Old French traced back to Latin

Exodus - Latin, from Greek

Pristine - Middle French or Latin

Release - Old French or Latin

Serenity - Middle French or Latin

Xanadu - Anglicized from Mongolian city of Shang-tu

Originally chosen Steam servers:

Rumble - Middle Dutch or Middle High German

Heartland - Combination of two Old English words

Newly chosen Steam servers:

Defiance - Old French and Latin

Harmony - Old French and Latin

Edited by Gianna

Where are the new names posted? I don’t see anything on forums with new names. 

Eckin had posted them a few hours ago in what appeared at first glance  to be a suggestion for new server names:

But then they followed that up with a (real? faked?) image purporting to show the names on a wurm server list:

R54FcKg.png?1

I have no idea whether they are official, just that is the first time i ever saw those two names. So it is hard to say whether it is official, an unofficial leak of the actual names, or just a clever marketing strrategy to get people discussing a suggestion.  They would definitely fit in  with the other server names though. My first reaction had been "huh, well those would be good, sure .."

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

These embody the spirit of Wurm so much better indeed, in my opinion. Great (likely) picks. Very happy they didn't end up picking Triumph either.

However, because this is the forum, some (g)rumbling is in order: I feel that Dissonance and Harmony are more coherent, in my unhumbly biased opinion :). Not so much out of Etymological reasons but rather because of semantics.

Edited by Monokles

I've always felt the name should be "easy to spell, easy to say, easy to remember, easy to understand", even for people who might struggle with English or even with basic reading and spelling skills.  Dissonance does not roll off the tongue quite as nicely as Defiance, and is not as widely known, even if it "pairs" better with Harmony from a technical standpoint.  Harmony and Defiance pass all my checkmarks. Easy for absolutely everyone to spell, say, remember, and understand.  Sometimes it is better to risk "trite" than have a large number of people simply "not get it." No need to require people to look up a word first to spell or understand it.

Probably placeholder names but I would not be surprised if this was an unofficial and cleverly discovered leak. They are probably discussing it in IRC, Discord or Twitch but I don't really follow those.. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Hey wait, I think I put Defiance into the PvP suggestion thing! lol

Nice catch. Earlier on I was checking the /status-new page but I wasn't aware of the 2nd status page. Official declarations would still be nice though.

Edited by Whane

Hey, I suggested Defiance for PvP too! Do I get a prize?

They havent selected the names yet. Those could.very well be placeholders as mentioned elsewhere.

I think they are good enough names.

(Even if I would have preferred "Destiny" as PvP server name)

21 minutes ago, Madnath said:

I can't wait to play on eHarmony

When you reach 50 firemaking, you are instantly transported to a challenge server called Tinder where you must fight your way through a labyrinth of venomous enemies and fungal traps. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gianna said:

When you reach 50 firemaking, you are instantly transported to a challenge server called Tinder where you must fight your way through a labyrinth of venomous enemies and fungal traps. 

We're adding the new Swipe feature for this

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

Keenan is literally the best, first the jungle comment and now a dating app joke.

Personally though, I'm surprised no one is saying schtaco or skruggin yet.  If I ever make a deed on Defiance I'll name it A Pile of Schtaco.

It's now officially announced. Great job to the CCAB team.