Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Does Code Club secretly have *more* new servers already created and ready to launch?

41 minutes ago, Object said:

WU had a peak concurrent of 2000 on launch, can the new server handle that many?

Across dozens of servers and for 1 month it was 1956 in october 2015 then november it was 1817 with the highest average of 819 and month after that peak was 999 with average of 569
Within a year time average was down to 438 and peak between 521 and 858 depending on content updates that came out with the biggest peak in october 2017 reaching 1529
With currently average players 195 and peak players 341
yJX3ijN.png
But at all times this was and is across multiple servers and a lot of these are from people running their own server as dedicated is only sitting at 9 and there are a lot of servers up and running that people launch through the client
So we have currently 198 servers online(9 manually launched via the dedicated server in steam and im sure a bunch via the launch window and quite a lot directly from the exe/server host)
Now funny thing is steam launcher is reporting 415 players online yet stat sites are reporting 235 so you can see a bunch of alts/servers who fake player count to look big

Anyway the servers can handle giant loads of players atleast they used to so a new server with not a lot of decay going on should be fine once players spread out

7 minutes ago, Keenan said:

RIP my sleep schedule.

Better prepare a backup just incase then dont get caught like blizzard did with people in queue for hours on end ;)

Edited by wipeout

Boats can be hugely useful even just for use on a single server. I find it quicker and more pleasant to travel by sea than have to traverse hills and mobs on land paths. 

However it wouldn't surprise me if they have some sort of redundancy plan in case one server becomes too overpopulated. I think Wurm will do well on Steam but I don't think that will happen soon.

• Like 1

As much as I enjoy this conspiracy, it's mistaking a few points! 

The trailer will be rebranded as "Wurm Online Trailer" later on, with the Steam specific references removed, meaning it will describe Wurm as a whole. 

Also, the North/South Freedom Isles thing is to step away from "Steam servers" as they won't be steam only! 

• Like 2

I knew it!! Folks insist eventual merger of the playing groups is not happening. It is! YES 🤓  - Wurm Online is Wurm Online, no matter how you got there

Edited by Alpengeist

On 7/17/2020 at 11:14 PM, Object said:

WU had a peak concurrent of 2000 on launch, can the new server handle that many?

Interestingly enough, the majority of computation that happens on servers is due to everything being loaded constantly. Unlike other games where they do tricks in their open world to "simulate" areas that nobody is in, then load them when someone is within range, Wurm takes no such shortcuts. This results in every NPC, item, deed, tile, etc. being polled constantly. Trolls have to move. Bears need to have their hunger updated and AI adjusted based on if they're hungry. A wild cat could hunt down a rat in a corner of the world with nobody around, and the whole combat will be computed on the server. Actual players have a very, very low footprint in terms of server strain. Only when players begin pumping out tons of items and littering them in containers all around them do things get dicey. Ironically, bulk storage bins and food storage bins with tons of items take almost no processing power when on deed since nothing inside of them requires decay or polling.

The servers were announced to be 4k. You wont see a laggy mess like Xanadu in the new cluster. I'd imagine that several thousand players can be connected to a Wurm server properly hosted at a datacenter and the server would be fine. The real problem comes when those players all meet up in the same area. If the render hasn't gotten some good performance upgrades since the last time I saw it, then you'll struggle to get decent FPS with hundreds of players in the same local unless you're on serious hardware.

Besides, the new cluster will likely have the servers with a player limit (similar to the existing ones).

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

Ah I have a thought on the Ship Focus, as the Server will be brand new and Highways likely not an immediate project on everyone's minds as deeds are established and walls, fences, housing, guard towers will likely be the main projects for awhile. Ships likely or at least sailboats will be the main travel I am guessing, till Corbitas and or Knarrs can be built. So my guess is until Highways and Canals are developed, that is why the focus on Ships in the Video. ?????

Can't wait until the day we have 30 people playing across 30 servers, games gonna feel real alive and kicking! 🤓

4 hours ago, Alpengeist said:

I knew it!! Folks insist eventual merger of the playing groups is not happening. It is! YES 🤓  - Wurm Online is Wurm Online, no matter how you got there

That is not what he said at ALL.

On 7/19/2020 at 7:43 AM, Retrograde said:

The trailer will be rebranded as "Wurm Online Trailer" later on, with the Steam specific references removed, meaning it will describe Wurm as a whole. 

That's not going to be a lot of consolation to the new player who joins during the Steam launch expressly because of the "ships can sail anywhere and sail between servers, Srsly!!!" references, and eagerly log in to become a shipwright only to be told a week later  they have to  reroll another character on the old servers to enjoy that option (or wait 6-24-48 months to see whether they maybe all merge), after they have already spent hundreds of dollars on a years premium and 100 silver on the new character. Just saying, you are going to have some bad feelings from that. This is much different from pretending  roleplaying that you sit down to milk a cow or stand at a counter to chop vegetables, or that lava fiends can emerge from a mine to atack players,  all of which can actually be roleplayed from the current game engine. This is touted as a major gameplay feature and mechanic in luring players expressly to the new launch. Public relations nightmare!

(Goes back to her room to dream up new wild conspiracy theories, like the one about Retrograde not really being Swedish but actually Australian, because he says he has to wake up at 1AM to play on launch day...  Who else besides Buddha and Retro are part of this 'aussie gang'? Have you all kidnapped Rolf to Oz? Did you move Sweden??)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2
  • Cat 1

Inb4 someone else asks if they have to make a new character

• Like 1

Alex Jones Tin Foil Hat GIF - AlexJones TinFoilHat Smiling ... Had to get my hat for this thread :P 

Why would they have to test new maps?  If it is northern hemisphere they can just reactivate Jenn-Kellon and Mol Rehan home servers.

:ph34r:

God I hope Steam PvP doesnt merge with Chaos via a border...at least any time remotely soon.

(Speaking directly in regards to PVP servers)

I feel like a merger at any point with in the span of a few years (emphasis on years) will only do damage to the games potential. RMT ruined this games ability to garner a community of new players after a certain point. A complete meme to have a new player try and compete with a pre-fight fix wild account in a realistic scenario. To have those servers interact would simply spread the plague of top heavy wurm onto the potential of a fresh start. 

Old wurm pvp servers will continue to decline until they are empty. Atleast this fresh start gives the idea a fighting chance. Would be a shame to watch that opportunity fall apart. God forbid the learning curve truly new  players would face moving from this steam pvp server to less restricted chaos.

Not to mention if the pvp server connected to any other via a border, we would just see more shutting of goodies off of the server never to see the light of day again. But hey, atleast the drake or scale that was taken in a raid can come out once a year and make someone look cool at their impalong or whatever...

I can only speak to the reasons I havent come back to Chaos after I sold Melros and then Camobeast. I dont have 10 years to get to a point where I can even think about competing. But who knows, maybe my frame of reference is off?

🤷‍♂️

Edited by Melros
Changed some words, clarification.
  • Like 2

Here's the hope that we will have two server clusters one day that you can travel between. The current servers in the south, new servers in the north, all connected so you can sail between them, one huge world to explore! I wonder if this was the thought behind calling it southern Freedom Isles and northern Freedom Isles. 🤔

I don't think they'll merge the PvP server though, even if PvE might get merged. 1st it uses a portal like Epic and a few mechanics different than existing PvP serves, and 2nd if PvE would be merged, the portal and transfer skill thing would be kind of hard to manage if the PvP Server would also be merged to the same server pool.

Come on, are you guys really wondering about factual implications from a trailer where they showed:
- lava fiends fighting inside a castle on rooftops
- archaeology setup with pillars on the background, a dioptra on the side and archaeology-flavoured hats (not one of those is actually even remotely related to archaeology)

The trailer was only aimed to look nice, not to make sense, and that's pretty much how you make a trailer, wurm is underrated anyway, so it's ok, don't ask too many questions : D

On 7/19/2020 at 6:34 PM, Brash_Endeavors said:

(Goes back to her room to dream up new wild conspiracy theories, like the one about Retrograde not really being Swedish but actually Australian, because he says he has to wake up at 1AM to play on launch day...  Who else besides Buddha and Retro are part of this 'aussie gang'? Have you all kidnapped Rolf to Oz? Did you move Sweden??)

Come on, we have like one swedish dev left afaik, can you name some other swedish dev besides Jberg?

2 hours ago, newman330 said:

This post keeps coming to mind....  was like an omen. 

yes the answer was yes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cecci said:

Come on, we have like one swedish dev left afaik, can you name some other swedish dev besides Jberg?

You mean besides Rolf?

On 7/22/2020 at 12:35 AM, Melros said:

I can only speak to the reasons I havent come back to Chaos after I sold Melros and then Camobeast. I dont have 10 years to get to a point where I can even think about competing. But who knows, maybe my frame of reference is off?

It's definitely on you if it takes you 10 years to get PvP-ready. A decent player would be good to go in a matter of months. A dedicated player could be ready in as little as one or two, barring meditation.

Lol they also showed wurm characters having animations and nice sound effects on skills.. which is hilarious. the only working animation is walking, swimming, hitting ( pickaxe, bash etc ) and the broken rake animation.

The pickaxe and other sound effects they used in the trailer doesn't even come close to what Wurm has to offer today LOL.

They shouldn't do false advertising in my opinion so don't pay too much attention to that trailer. its mostly cinematic to attract players.

Edited by Berms

35 minutes ago, Berms said:

Lol they also showed wurm characters having animations and nice sound effects on skills.. which is hilarious. the only working animation is walking, swimming, hitting ( pickaxe, bash etc ) and the broken rake animation.

The pickaxe and other sound effects they used in the trailer doesn't even come close to what Wurm has to offer today LOL.

They shouldn't do false advertising in my opinion so don't pay too much attention to that trailer. its mostly cinematic to attract players.

But all of the scenes in the trailer were taken with actual in game footage. Everything in the trailer is possible in the game, including all of the animations.