Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Does Code Club secretly have *more* new servers already created and ready to launch?

Someone was asking on the reddit subforum why the new Steam trailer featured so heavily ship travel between servers, if the new server is actually going to be disconnected from Southern Freedom isles (forever or just for the foreseeable future. no one knows).   There are of course TWO new servers in the launch, PVE and PVP, but it has been strongly implied they will be connected by portal only, since you can take skills but not items between them.

So why so much focus on server to server ship travel in the new trailer?

1.  One answer of course is that some new players might see the trailer and ignore the new server and instead  join the Olde Serveres, aka Southern Freedom Islands. in which case the trailer is 100% accurate.
  2.  Another possibility is they just want to be covered if the new server "flops" and is fairly soon connected to the Southern Freedom Islands.
  3.  But another possibility also exists --  pure speculation but if the new server is wildly popular and actually fills up fast, Code Club might already have other additional new servers secretly created in advance to launch "if needed."

I doubt we will get an official confirmation, but this third possibility would explain WHY  they made a big deal about Southern Freedom isles versus Northern Freedom Islands (they never did anything remotely like that for Pristine or Release). Because they anticipate a strong possibility of  "SUCCESS" and needing to add additional new landmasses to the Northern islands.   Better to have ship travel emphasized in the new trailer now in case of BEST OUTCOME,  and if not later wave it off as meaning "the old server system" or a "joined server system". 

I suspect they already have new maps made, myself ....

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 4
  • Cat 1

I like a good conspiracy theory, but it is probably just that boats are a big aspect of the game, took a lot to develop and they want to show off

• Like 4

Did they actually show between servers or just general sailing around? (will watch when I get home) Seems like a clunky thing to show in a trailer. Ships look cool, and are still useful for sailing point to point (avoid slopes, easier to afk, biggest cargo capacity) even if server borders won’t be in yet. 

Edited by LionIX

They showed silhouetted fuzzy unfocused maps of Indy Xanadu and some others and heavily featured the fact you can sail the whole world, server to server, and showed a ship purportedly sailing between all the servers  It was to feature a huge seamless world where you could go anywhere, climb any mountain and sail any ocean.   

If they only wanted to feature "SHIPS ARE COOL," they could have just sailed along the coastline and not really mentioned so heavily the "server to server" features. 

• Like 1

Is server creation such a big thing really? Can't they just whip up a new server when and if needed? If that's the case then that conspiracy theory is lame as it would be bad practice for them to fill up northern freedom with servers during release that will only end up leaving a heavily diluted game world where the new players will find just an empty world.

I dont put it past them that if the release is a success and there are too many people for one server, they will quickly release others as it is not only good for the population but also good for business.

I am not saying "five days later" but maybe "two or three or four months later."    A new server map takes considerable testing time, I would think they have probably been testing the new "Northern Freedom Islands" PVP and PVE servers internally for months now.

Remember, these are the fine folk who took something like four or five years to add sheep. From the initial Rolf announcement and showcase images, to them actually going live ingame. 

Better to do some preliminary work now and say nothing, so that they are ready in a few months if it is needed, and can be never mentioned again if it is not needed.

• Like 2

Wait what they are not linking the PVE and PVP servers for ship travel? Well that kinda ruins things in my opinion. I would prefer server to server travel by ship not Portal like Epic. Portal travel and not being able to take anything with is a game killer to me. Thats why i never went on EPIC. I suggest heavily that the Devs connect both servers by sea travel. Especially if a lot of new folks get in over their head on PVP and want to pack it up and head fro PVE.

• Like 2

I don't think the new trailer is Steam specific.  It's for ALL WO servers.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ArthurHawkwing said:

Wait what they are not linking the PVE and PVP servers for ship travel? Well that kinda ruins things in my opinion. I would prefer server to server travel by ship not Portal like Epic. Portal travel and not being able to take anything with is a game killer to me. Thats why i never went on EPIC. I suggest heavily that the Devs connect both servers by sea travel. Especially if a lot of new folks get in over their head on PVP and want to pack it up and head fro PVE.

Well I am pretty sure they said you can take skills but not items?  Ships are an item.

Q: Will items and skills transfer between the PvE and PvP servers?
A: Items will not transfer between the new PvE and PvP servers. We are however currently planning on skills transferring between the two.

Yeah, Steam can connect to old cluster to get sailing stuff. I hope the new character starting portal/location clearly differentiates between Northern and Southern Isles and explains pros/cons of both before new players decide what server to choose. 

• Like 1

I think PvP is only through portal. I don’t think the PvP’ers want totally invulnerable server where you can build up tons of high ql gear. And where you can escape with valuable loot. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, LionIX said:

I think PvP is only through portal. I don’t think the PvP’ers want totally invulnerable server where you can build up tons of high ql gear. And where you can escape with valuable loot. 

No instead we have near unraidable deeds with 1500+ steep walls that you cant dig down as a moat around it is to heavily fortified and storage alts and personal merchants and mailboxes and double reinforced+collapsed safe mines that the only way in is to 1 clip through the wall with a bug or 2 plant a deed to mine it out

Either way we got enough safe places on pvp servers to hide loot we dont really ever sail back to a pve server to hide loot especially now that 90% of people run around in chain or studded the value is in the hundreds of exactly the same weapons and horse gear that people will die for to save(one person is really really adamant about doing this they would rather stand still and die then loose their shoes)

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

They showed silhouetted fuzzy unfocused maps of Indy Xanadu and some others and heavily featured the fact you can sail the whole world, server to server, and showed a ship purportedly sailing between all the servers  It was to feature a huge seamless world where you could go anywhere, climb any mountain and sail any ocean.   

jez, dude, relax. That trailer is WURM trailer as a whole, not "Wurm Steam" only trailer. its featured in steam, its featured on youtube, featured on teh website, hell, it might even be featured in some adds etc. Its a trailer for the whole wurm concept. You can really sail whenever you want of freedom cluster, on epic cluster, so the trailer is accurate and pointing out a big aspect of the game, so it must be included in the trailer. Go anywhere, do anything is the ultimate goal in this game. 

• Like 3

Pristine and Release.

From my understanding Release was not "ready" but was added in because pop grew too high for pristine and they needed to add another server in.

I could be wrong though, maybe they did have it "ready"

• Like 2

My fav part was when they spawned lava fiends on a slate brick building to make it look like we have dungeons lol

• Like 1

yeah there is also that ... 😕 

Reminds me of the days you would pick up a boxed game at Walmart only to get home and find it looked nothing like either the box art or trailer. 

Though I suppose it is theoretically possible (one-in-five-thousand chance) someone could have reopened an old collapsed mine and had dozens of long penned up nasties escaping out ...

Just now, Brash_Endeavors said:

yeah there is also that ... 😕 

Reminds me of the days you would pick up a boxed game at Walmart only to get home and find it looked nothing like either the box art or trailer. 

Though I suppose it is theoretically possible (one-in-five-thousand chance) someone could have reopened an old collapsed mine and had dozens of long penned up nasties escaping out ...

Gives me the idea like "The Land" LitRPG novels... We should be able to have dungeon deeds that would spawn monsters and we could make our own dungeons, would be awesome.

I think they actually have dungeons like that in some modded WU servers. I seem to recall Mystic Highlands having something like that. 

And Factional Fight brothers' Puzzle Labyrinth on Deli back in 2013 or something was kind of like a player made dungeon ... 

edit: I guess they did them on Xanadu as well as Deli, Deli was the original ...)

• Like 1

We still do have graded dungeons on Mystic Highlands- the easier ones are very popular with some of the newer players as they skill up in a more controlled way than accidently rushing into the arms of a venerable green troll outside. They also gain some coin from their efforts that they can put towards their first deed.

Firstly, our new provider is fully stocked on server capacity so we're not worried about that. :)

Secondly, keep in mind that Steam is full access to ALL servers. We're rolling out a new cluster WITH the launch but that doesn't mean that Steam users can only play on this new cluster!

Anywho, back to my server closet. The hamsters call.

• Like 6

No, it’s just false advertising to pander to unknowing audiences. And here’s hoping it works!

• Like 2

WU had a peak concurrent of 2000 on launch, can the new server handle that many?

31 minutes ago, Object said:

WU had a peak concurrent of 2000 on launch, can the new server handle that many?

If we get 2000 new people on the steam launch I am pretty sure they'll magically whip out a new server overnight a'la Archeage.

Just now, Angelklaine said:

If we get 2000 new people on the steam launch I am pretty sure they'll magically whip out a new server overnight a'la Archeage.

RIP my sleep schedule.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Keenan said:

RIP my sleep schedule.

Like you had one to begin with.

317101097343201.jpg?type=webp&to=min&r=6

• Like 6
  • Cat 1