Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Wurm Online Steam Launch Trailer Revealed!

5 hours ago, Jeston said:

Not really, why would I go to someones deed for their market stalls if most of what their traders sell can just be sent my deed to via spirit house.. Thats the point I am making. Why do you think the OG marketplaces deeds are dead to begin with? The Ease-of-access created by spirit houses. Spirit houses 95% remove the point of a market stall.

Personally and from a player perspective, I actually prefer markets over other ways of trading. First off is the convenience of being able to shop without making arrangements with someone. I can just go and see what's out there and buy what I need. I also love to window shop and browse through the merchants. it's fun to see if there are unexpected treasures or cheap deals. I visit Glasshollow Market every few months for this purpose alone and usually buy several things when I do. 

Another need for markets is for selling animals such as horses, as those can't very easily be mailed. *grins*

• Like 4

Trailer much better than wurm reality.

40 minutes ago, Malena said:

Personally and from a player perspective, I actually prefer markets over other ways of trading. First off is the convenience of being able to shop without making arrangements with someone. I can just go and see what's out there and buy what I need. I also love to window shop and browse through the merchants. it's fun to see if there are unexpected treasures or cheap deals. I visit Glasshollow Market every few months for this purpose alone and usually buy several things when I do. 

Another need for markets is for selling animals such as horses, as those can't very easily be mailed. *grins*

Player markets are great especially with the combination of mailboxes its just that most player run market deeds disappeared because so many players left over the years and the amount of people who wanted to pay for such a deed reached near 0 and we didnt have trading spots at starting towns but now we do thankfully

Either way some time this year/early next a new one will open up on cele one that is way inland but has boat access and a lot of space for people to sell animals too(something cele starting deed doesnt seem to have) and vehicles and the likes and bulk

Edited by wipeout

6 hours ago, Malena said:

You can technically mail a horse, good luck reassembling it though.

Edited by Object
  • Like 2

Amazing trailer. I swear I couldn't even recognize Wurm from the past player made trailer. 

Good graphics, contains just about the right amount to give you an idea about the game. Love it and kudos to the creators! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Object said:

You can technically mail a horse, good luck reassembling it though.

HAHA

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jeston said:

Not really, why would I go to someones deed for their market stalls if most of what their traders sell can just be sent my deed to via spirit house.

When I was a brand new player I would often scout the market stalls at the Howl, because I was poor and wanted to save every single copper I could. Glancing through the stalls let me privately see who had the best deals, often allowing me to select an item of lower quality if it had a good enough price discount.

The trade channels were all of the high end players and all they were really interested in was their high end wares and their high end enchants. I had no way of keep straight in my head all of the price checks and having people try to convince me what was the "standard market price" for an item, which I was supposed to take as gospel on their sayso.  Shopping through stalls gives newer players especially a welcome anonymity while they go from stall to stall seeing which one offers the very best bargains. Also it could be a while till enough Fo priests have leveled up to make Courier affordable for the "common folk". Making a run into the nearest market town also gives them a chance to see other players and provides a welcome !Adventure Day! that never gets old when you're a newbie.

I very much look forward to seeing the market towns on the new server :D 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 9

This new video is AWESOME!  Thanks doesn't seem enough...  but, for sure, thank you Malena and team!

A video only requires to be seen.  But this one makes me feel.  And what I feel most from it is passion, love, and pride.  And as I think back on my interactions with players, what can be gleaned from chat perhaps daily, and many, many forum posts, perhaps these are what embody what it is to be a Wurmian.   Feels good; feels real good.

And grats on 20,000 views thus far!

• Like 1

Market stalls are good and plenty of people use them. Spirit houses didn't ruin anything lol

They just need to be made at a central location, like near the spawn or at an important well established regional deed with a good location/access, backed up by crafters and skilled players. 

Of course random market deeds and merchants aren't going to see any action. 

Edited by atazs

10 minutes ago, Richaun said:

This new video is AWESOME!  Thanks doesn't seem enough...  but, for sure, thank you Malena and team!

A video only requires to be seen.  But this one makes me feel.  And what I feel most from it is passion, love, and pride.  And as I think back on my interactions with players, what can be gleaned from chat perhaps daily, and many, many forum posts, perhaps these are what embody what it is to be a Wurmian.   Feels good; feels real good.

And grats on 20,000 views thus far!

Many of you have said such lovely things that really tugged at my heart. I've appreciated the kind words so much everyone! But what has moved me even more, is seeing how you guys  "got it" "felt it"  "understood it" "connected with it". It's almost like our wurmian souls are connecting to another through the trailer, as corny as that sounds. *grins* 

Let's hope that whatever magical vibe is in that trailer, is not there merely because we old players feel nostalgic and attached, but that it's something more than that, something that captures the imagination of new players as well!

• Like 4

It really is a good trailer and I like the mini-stories that go with it. Specifically little details as the bucket under the cow or the character at the end panning over a small city.

The only thing that struck me in a way that made me giggle was the running animation for pvp. Towards the end you have multiple players that are having a bit of a tussle and it looks like they're hopping over the terrain more than running. Made me think we might need a new running animation that looks more fluid.

But that's not on the creator, it's just how Wurm code is.

• Like 1

Maybe a few more shots showing the different crafting professions like smiths, jewelers, clothiers, carpenters, etc. would have been good, so that people can see what their future shops will look like :D? Wurm has so many things it would probably not fit into a trailer. People will simply have to play and be amazed :D.

I also got some fresh ideeas as an old player from the trailer - especially those farmlands on the hill.

Also, I hate to nitpick, but at 1:55 when those maps appear, some of them have the "Server border" caption on them.

Edited by Idlamn

15 hours ago, elentari said:

It really is a good trailer and I like the mini-stories that go with it. Specifically little details as the bucket under the cow or the character at the end panning over a small city.

The only thing that struck me in a way that made me giggle was the running animation for pvp. Towards the end you have multiple players that are having a bit of a tussle and it looks like they're hopping over the terrain more than running. Made me think we might need a new running animation that looks more fluid.

But that's not on the creator, it's just how Wurm code is.

Yeah personally, I would absolutely LOVE to see a full overhaul of the characters and their animations some day!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Idlamn said:

Maybe a few more shots showing the different crafting professions like smiths, jewelers, clothiers, carpenters, etc. would have been good, so that people can see what their future shops will look like :D? Wurm has so many things it would probably not fit into a trailer. People will simply have to play and be amazed :D.

I also got some fresh ideeas as an old player from the trailer - especially those farmlands on the hill.

Also, I hate to nitpick, but at 1:55 when those maps appear, some of them have the "Server border" caption on them.

It would have been lovely to be able to show off everything, but it's true that there is just so much in the game that you can't possibly fit it all in. Even this trailer is way too long actually. 

As for the server border text, that's a separate element that I actually added to that scene. What it's meant to do is represent the edge of the server, and how we can simply sail over them to visit other servers. After your comment, I'm now a bit worried and wondering just how many people understood that actually? *rubs chin thoughtfully* 

• Like 1

I liked having the caption there, to clarify you are sailing from server to server

• Like 1

Spectacular!

Malena,

Did you design all of those cities and buildings?  You have a great artistic eye.  I want to live in that coastal city.  And visit all the others.  They should put you in charge of designing the starter settlement.

• Like 1

Just a reminder guys, that today (Tuesday) at 15:00 GMT,  we will be going on a grand tour of all of the set locations filmed in the trailer! 

• We'll start off by watching the original storyboard version of the video, upon which everything was based
  • We'll visit each set location, scene by scene. I think you'll especially enjoy seeing the sandstone "kingdom" that's shown a couple times towards the end.
  •  I'll describe what kinds of challenges we faced and how they were solved
  • We'll also have a look at the many tools Samool made to make this trailer (and any future footage) possible

So please join us on Twitch tonight as we do a very special edition of "Wurm Roulette" on my personal stream (so no, not an official Wurm stream)

https://www.twitch.tv/katspurr

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Reflex said:

Spectacular!

Malena,

Did you design all of those cities and buildings?  You have a great artistic eye.  I want to live in that coastal city.  And visit all the others.  They should put you in charge of designing the starter settlement.

Yes I did design and build all of the sets. Thank you for your kind words ❤️ If you're talking about the sandstone/rendered city - you know - I'm almost tempted to build it for real in Wurm some day. It would take years and years of work no doubt, at least if built alone, but as folks will be able to see in today's stream, the end result is quite special and worth the work.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Malena said:

As for the server border text, that's a separate element that I actually added to that scene. What it's meant to do is represent the edge of the server, and how we can simply sail over them to visit other servers. After your comment, I'm now a bit worried and wondering just how many people understood that actually? *rubs chin thoughtfully* 

Ah ok, I got it now - rather than being part of the map it's a point on which the player crosses servers. It was meant to show how people can travel between servers seamlessly. I think you shouldn't be worried, I just saw it a similar shade with the maps and thought that's how the new maps were drawn. To someone on Steam I think it will be more clear. Even if they somehow get the same ideea such as me, the context is pretty clear (with the ship sailing between two islands).

Anyway, since I played WO for some years this feature seems like second nature. For someone coming from other games, it might be something really exciting to be able to change servers like this. It's nice that it was shown in the trailer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Malena said:

Yes I did design and build all of the sets. Yada yada I am going to build it for real in Wurm soon!

That is fantastic news!  We need it all:  rendered city, marketplace, canals, cavern city, boat piers, high bridges, all of it.  We need all of it to be designed and decorated by an Artist.  And we need it in one compact "wow" settlement to serve as inspiration.

This is what a starting settlement should look like IMO.  They should give you an ebony wand and their blessing to make it happen.  It should be in the Art Developer's job description.  Let new players watch that video and get inspired to join us.  And then start them off in that setting.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 4:53 AM, Malena said:

I understand you might like to use market stalls but dont expect the other 85% to use market stalls once spirit houses are built, thats the majority used method of trade and will remain such until its nerfed like it should be. It would have been smart to done it now before new players get used to it.

Edited by Jeston

16 hours ago, Reflex said:

That is fantastic news!  We need it all:  rendered city, marketplace, canals, cavern city, boat piers, high bridges, all of it.  We need all of it to be designed and decorated by an Artist.  And we need it in one compact "wow" settlement to serve as inspiration.

This is what a starting settlement should look like IMO.  They should give you an ebony wand and their blessing to make it happen.  It should be in the Art Developer's job description.  Let new players watch that video and get inspired to join us.  And then start them off in that setting.

Pretty sure that is all the players job...

• Like 1

Fantastic trailer! It really captures some of the things that us existing players take for granted.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 1:59 AM, Malena said:

Just a reminder guys, that today (Tuesday) at 15:00 GMT,  we will be going on a grand tour of all of the set locations filmed in the trailer! 

• We'll start off by watching the original storyboard version of the video, upon which everything was based
  • We'll visit each set location, scene by scene. I think you'll especially enjoy seeing the sandstone "kingdom" that's shown a couple times towards the end.
  •  I'll describe what kinds of challenges we faced and how they were solved
  • We'll also have a look at the many tools Samool made to make this trailer (and any future footage) possible

So please join us on Twitch tonight as we do a very special edition of "Wurm Roulette" on my personal stream (so no, not an official Wurm stream)

https://www.twitch.tv/katspurr

Will you upload the stream on Youtube? I missed in on twitch