Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Wurm Online Steam Launch Trailer Revealed!

On 7/17/2020 at 1:47 PM, Maiya said:

Nothing stops you from visit the markets that is in wurm ....we have several 

Well if we didnt have spirit houses then yes, markets would be fully used once more. If it were up to me those things would be removed or limited heavily for only sending very small things over like money, papers and food/drinks.

Edited by Jeston
  • Like 1

It is a great trailer and if I saw it as a brand new person then I would really want to play the game.

There is a but though!  The trailer in my view shows what wurm could be like IF everything was used to its full potential.   So fully built up towns with decked out buildings.  A full player base that is interactive with each other.  Major roleplay would also be going on, I feel. That and a full on community vibe across the server.

The trailer in my view was one that was made with love of the game. It shows that it was made with real passion for wurm and wanting to show it at its best but that could also create unrealistic expectations.

I would like to create food at my table, as it shows in the video.  (Unless you can already do this?!?!?)  I have not tried.  There is a real example of an expectation after watching the video.  I saw some things in the trailer that left me wondering if they are real features of the game and I just have not found out about them yet....

If they are not a part of the game then that might leave me with some disappointment.  Mostly because it looked cool and I wanted to try it out.

Edited by Zexos
  • Like 1

Travel vast player built highways and bridges. 

Oh yes, I am going to take care of this one, you can count on me. 

Spoiler

jvQ1zos.png

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Zexos said:

The trailer in my view shows what wurm could be like IF everything was used to its full potential.
The trailer in my view was one that was made with love of the game. It shows that it was made with real passion for wurm and wanting to show it at its best but that could also create unrealistic expectations.

Hey there Zexos! You hit the nail on the head as far as my wanting to show the full potential of Wurm. Sure, there are a couple of little things that are enhanced to be cooler than they are, however I am quite confident in saying that most of what you see in the trailer can or could be done! This includes all of the buildings you see. 

27 minutes ago, Zexos said:

I would like to create food at my table, as it shows in the video.  (Unless you can already do this?!?!?)  I have not tried.  There is a real example of an expectation after watching the video.  I saw some things in the trailer that left me wondering if they are real features of the game and I just have not found out about them yet....

If you meant an example such as chopping a carrot against a table or grinding nutmeg with the mortar and pestle sitting on the table, no -  I believe those types of actions would require you to have those items in your inventory.

However since food preparation can often be a very complex process, I don't see why you couldn't at least organize all the ingredients and tools that you will need and lay them out on the table as you make the food step by step.  In the video, she's not actually interacting with any of the items on the table, she' merely doing a random crafting animation. So in that sense, the scene could easily depict what I just described.

What other spots left you wondering?

• Like 4

Hey great.  That is good that most of the stuff can be done in wurm.

It is more so that some people might think that what is shown in the video is actually the reality of wurm.

They might think that certain things shown are features of the game.  More so going along the lines of other mmo games. 

Like, other mmo games have dungeons with monsters of even special events where monsters attack or spawn outside settlements.

They might do to wurm, what I am doing now.  I am remembering other mmo games that I have played before in the past and I am projecting those features from those games onto wurm. 

I even projected the Sims food prep system onto wurm by thinking that the cheese was something that she was cutting up.   Like, my mind is filling in any blanks and creating expectations about what is happening in the video and then what might happen in the game. 

Then again, expectation is the mother of all disappointment...

The pvp fight scene also made me think of the age of empires games.  It would be cool if those kinds of massive battles happened...

--------------

I think that because some of the scenes went by so fast, I did not see that it was the normal crafting action that the lady near the cheese was performing.  I see, I see. 

The cow milking animation while sat down on a stool. Is that animation in the game when you are sat down?  

Hmm.... I think my words come from a place of wanting more people to play and enjoy wurm.

I don't want them to get frustrated and leave because something that they thought was in the game when they join, is not in the game. They have to create it instead. 

Though maybe that is mollycoddling them....

Well, whatever happens will happen. I just hope that wurm has good success with their steam release. 

Your video already has over 6000 views which is fantastic.  It is really doing a great job luring people in.  

Really hope more attention follows and wurm grows to new heights. 

5 hours ago, Jeston said:

Well if we didnt have spirit houses then yes, markets would be fully used once more.

We can have and use both :)

Nice vid, hyped for the new servers, lots of old friends are coming back.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Zexos said:

It is more so that some people might think that what is shown in the video is actually the reality of wurm.

Hmm.... I think my words come from a place of wanting more people to play and enjoy wurm.

I don't want them to get frustrated and leave because something that they thought was in the game when they join, is not in the game. They have to create it instead. 

Zexos I fully understand where your heart is at with your feedback. I appreciate your best intentions for the game and also think the way you explained your feedback was very clear and considerate.

I completely understand the point you're trying to make, but there are a couple of points to consider from the other side:

1) Promotional material for games is always showing the game at it's "best potential" and I think most gamers understand this.

2) Let's stop to consider what this trailer would have been like, without the little extras. If we use the cooking scene as an example: At the end of the day, cooking in Wurm is a character standing in one place in front of an oven, making no sounds, making no animations and with all the items in inventory. All veggies and other food items hidden away in a food bsb versus placed on a table. How could we have communicated and conveyed the theme of "cooking" in a clip like that? Let's say you were directing the trailer: What's your vision on how that should have been implemented visually?

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Is this showing up on Steam yet ?

Yes.

23 hours ago, SmeJack said:

Grats on the new names

23 hours ago, Ascorbic said:

new server names are much better

Where are they mentioned?

I really did like the trailer, but... I did not see a single Dragon. 😢

Bring back server wide legendary spawn messages!

2 minutes ago, Challenge said:

Bring back server wide legendary spawn messages!

300px-Jim_Halpert_Smiling_Through_Blinds

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Madt said:

They arent officially gv just has 2 servers listed with names on them in what i assume is placeholder titles for testing purposes to make sure that everything is working fine for release day and by then names will probably be changed and announced

it was announced somewhere

im just too lazy to search for the name announcment

2 minutes ago, LumpyGravy said:

it was announced somewhere

im just too lazy to search for the name announcment

50 minutes ago, Madt said:

Here

• Like 1

Malena: You are right.  If you were to show what it is really like then it would just be boxes upon boxes with timers and avatars stood around.

Not really something that is visually engaging or goes along with the excited feel of the video. 

I did not think of that.  It is good to see things from the other side. 

Yeah, I can't think of a way to show the reality of wurm (timers and such) while making that reality seem super exciting.....

• Like 2

Lovely trailer. I think that this will be the start of the new chapter of Wurm.

That underground city looked amazing. I didn't know it was possible to build something like that in game yet. Wurm has come a long way since I lived with Elwood on JKH.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2020 at 1:23 AM, Maiya said:

We can have and use both :)

Not really, why would I go to someones deed for their market stalls if most of what their traders sell can just be sent my deed to via spirit house.. Thats the point I am making. Why do you think the OG marketplaces deeds are dead to begin with? The Ease-of-access created by spirit houses. Spirit houses 95% remove the point of a market stall.

Edited by Jeston
  • Like 1

Great video!

Btw, the lava fiends in the castle part is what the Jackal fortress should look like.

• Like 1