Sign in to follow this  
Eleraan

Just another noobs suggestion

So a bit about myself just so you know where my nubby suggestion comes from.  We started playing about 4 or 5 years back and have mostly been self sufficient as a group.  When we premiumed up my affinity was beverages so that kinda became my goal.  Many of my suggestions tie into that so just wanted to be up front.

Now before I move onto my suggestions I wanted to talk about two things that the devs have previously added that I thought were particularly exceptional ideas and some of the thought process behind it has gone into my own.

First the cooking update was great because of the reasons below. 

It utilized existing items that were under used, all the different farming crops.

Added a benefit to warrant a demand, nutrition and affinities.

Is a consumed product so there is always a steady demand with out adding a huge continual grind.  Cooking is relatively easy and with salting, wrapping, and larders one isn’t greatly inconvenienced.

The second addition was how Runes were added. 

The big thing about the runes is that they added benefits with out over shadowing older buffs, enchantments/imbues. And they are retroactive in the fact that you can apply them to already existing items.  My only complaint is there was no way to generate a stable continuous demand for them, no I am not asking for them to decay in any way... that would suck. 

Ok, so on to my suggestions.

One of my oldest thoughts is the idea of using oils to quench/temper during black smithing.  It is based in reality but if we were to add them in to replace the existing use of water it would just add more grind with out a real benefit.  Smiths don’t want to suddenly have to start squeezing corn. 

Instead lets add a quenching trough that can be filled with oil.  A glowing hot metal item can be quenched to add a buff.  Require no skill for this action but tie the buff strength into the quality of the oils. This way you add the convenience of only requiring getting a trough and oil.  Similar to how people buy meals all the time for a consumable resource.  Imagine if you had to have an eating skill to benefit from the meals cooked by a chef.

You can apply a number of basic buffs to an item that is quenched.  Slight usage speed, reduced decay, easier time enchanting, less stamina usage etc.  The buff doesn’t matter so much as that it is mildly beneficial.  Wurm is built on tiny increments of doing things better anyways.  As long as the cost/difficulty is balanced with the benefits even slightly there will be a market for it.

Different quenches give different benefits. So the various oils all have a use besides just corn or cotton.

Have quenching require the trough to have 2x or something the items weight in oil and consumes 25% or something of the items weight when quenched.  This will slowly use up the oil but shouldn’t be a huge pita to keep oils around.

Since this has been made a fairly easy process using a fairly easy item to come by I recommend not using something like the enchantment decay system which is based off usage.  Give it a duration based on the quality of the oil.  Low quality oils might last a few days with high quality lasting weeks or even a month.  This prevents bulk quenching and storing for later with out just being a huge pita to keep having to do daily.

This can be expanded to wooden tools/items by adding in a polishing kit.  Cloth with some pottery jars combined to make the kit that can be filled with oil for polishing. 

We could then expand this to add in alchemy where an alchemist can create better quenches/polishes giving something else to another greatly under utilized skill.

This suggestion fills my criteria for something I would like to see implemented.

It utilizes an existing resource/skill that I feel is under used.

Offers a benefit that would warrant a demand for it.

Is a consumed product to generate an ongoing need with out just turning into a huge pita for the average user.

Lastly, it doesn’t invalidate previous items as it can be used to enhance that tool made by a friend no longer with us or that Enki signature spear we love.

Any feed back would be appreciated. Again, this is a bit of a shameless attempt to add greater use to some of the beverage skill but I do think it would offer greater customization and another stable market for something. 

So what does everyone think?  Valid basis for something new or just another meh suggestion?  How could we make it an even better suggestion?

• Like 4

Pretty cool idea. I think it may even create enough demand if tempering with oil added a buff to improvement speed such as a % increase to how much a metal item improves after each successful improvement.

Edited by Gianna

+1 More uses for various oils plus buffs on forged items. As a Fo following smith who cooks... I like it! 😃

Was reminded of when I made this suggestion and still think it would be great to have.  So raising it from the grave. 

I'd like to see oil used in the smithing system without overhauling the entire system.

I'd suggest simply using oil instead of water when imping moonmetals, because that's a niche market, and it doesn't have to argue about the physics of smithing to the nth degree.

8 minutes ago, Finnn said:

lovely, more micromanagement

Like most of the other small bonuses, enchantments, runes, etc you could just skip out on it.  But yes, Let's not add anything for fear of having to use it.

17 hours ago, Drayka said:

I'd like to see oil used in the smithing system without overhauling the entire system.

I'd suggest simply using oil instead of water when imping moonmetals, because that's a niche market, and it doesn't have to argue about the physics of smithing to the nth degree.

Using oils for temper with moon metals might be good. Even making it optional for normal smithing would be nice. I know tempering is always annoying, I believe by default since all water is 100 it has the equal of 50ql for tool sake.   Just wouldn't want to make it required, not wanting to add more steps just for the sake of it.  

why is this not a metallurgy thing? and why does it not require any skill?

even imbues benefit from higher ns/alchemy person to apply them..

I could see oil being added to bee's wax to make polish for wooden items, and oil being used with a wetstone to 'sharpen' a weapon for a certain amount of time. As Finnn said, it could even have a better/longer effect based on oil ql and skill of the person who applies it.

+1 to this idea, but also want wooden tankards. JS

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Finnn said:

why is this not a metallurgy thing? and why does it not require any skill?

even imbues benefit from higher ns/alchemy person to apply them..

Metallurgy actually makes a great sense to use it with.  I think the need for a skill is fine depending on the bonus.  If it is something minor used only for the most min/max people no skill would be fine as they are temporary buffs.  Again this is more like eatting a meal for affinity bonus.  But I think tying it to metallurgy would be awesome, though I'd want a higher potential bonus than I originally envisioned if we are tying it to a skill. 

36 minutes ago, Blacklotus said:

I could see oil being added to bee's wax to make polish for wooden items, and oil being used with a wetstone to 'sharpen' a weapon for a certain amount of time. As Finnn said, it could even have a better/longer effect based on oil ql and skill of the person who applies it.

+1 to this idea, but also want wooden tankards. JS

Another use for bees wax! Sharpening kits could be useful too allowing another use for whetstones etc.  Again, making consumables with short term buffs is something I feel is great for keeping an active market in wurm since the base items are basically eternal. 

Nice feedback both of you! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eleraan said:

Another use for bees wax! 

An additional (RL) benefit of using beeswax as a finishing step in forging/smithing metal items is corrosion resistance (hot-waxed iron items are less likely to rust), so in-game, applying beeswax to glowing metal items could be an optional step for reducing decay (x)% on a hot-waxed item..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WuMing said:

An additional (RL) benefit of using beeswax as a finishing step in forging/smithing metal items is corrosion resistance (hot-waxed iron items are less likely to rust), so in-game, applying beeswax to glowing metal items could be an optional step for reducing decay (x)% on a hot-waxed item..

Good point, while adding new items in game is great we have lots of resources and skills greatly under utilized.  Finding new purposes, particularly ones that consume these resources so there is always a need is great in my opinion. 

Alternatives to oil include salt water and blood. 

The combination of materials could determine the buff.

Since I necroed the spear and shield post. Figured I'd do the same to this one.

As I have been improving some tools again I am reminded of how bad tempering is.  Oils should definitely be allowed to be used for tempering.  Not to completely replace water of course just to be another option where we could use the actual quality of the oil as the tool skill instead of the neutered quality of water.  Tempering sucks.