Sign in to follow this  
Batta

Big X instead of in-game map

On my new server, all players are seeing a big X instead of the in-game map when they press M.  I'm not sure what I might have missed when setting this server up.  Could someone please tell me the fix? 

do you have it set up with serverpacks mod, do the players have serverpacks client mod installed?

1 hour ago, Cuddles said:

do you have it set up with serverpacks mod, do the players have serverpacks client mod installed?

Yes to both, though both server and client serverpacks were recently updated.  It is all players on the server who are unable to see the map. 

i just popped on, this is what in game map looks like for me.

014EB7ABF767CC2255D9FBC4FB4501429B79A593 (1280×720)

I seem to recall some issue where if you had an alt that had loaded a map ( can't recall if from same or  different server) that would cause issues for other chars on your account. Only really affected those who were running multiple characters. Is everyone seeing the red X also people who regularly run multiple characters? (*edit: I just tested this on Riviera; logging in 2 characters, one sees the map and the other sees a big red X...)

Also for whatever it is worth, BDew's walkthrough on server maps:

1) You need to change the map name on the server, this can't be done in the settings GUI so you will need SqliteBrowser or some other sqlite tool. Open wurmlogin.db, SERVERS table, set MAPNAME field to whatever.

2) Create a file named mappings.txt, put in it: "map.whatever = whatever.png" (whatever is what you set in step 1)

3) Save your map as whatever.png with 920x620 pixels size

4) Create a zip file with mapping.txt and whatever.png, rename it to whatever.jar, make sure you actually remove the zip extension (so you don't end up with whatever.jar.zip)

5) Put zip file in mods/serverpacks folder

6) Edit serverpacks.properties, set serverPort to a reachable port, publicServerAdress to your ip, serverPacks=whatever.jar (from previous step)

6.5) If you are behind a router, make sure to forward the port to your server.

7) Restart server, watch log for serverpacks mod complaining, if it does - you ###### up one of the previous steps

😎 Login to the server with serverpacks client-side mod enabled, check the log - if you did everything correctly - it will tell you that the pack was downloaded

9) If the pack was downloaded but the map doesn't show up try restarting the client. Often the download finishes too late to replace the textures so it will take effect only on next login

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

5 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Also for whatever it is worth, BDew's walkthrough on server maps

Just note that this is for handmade maps that you place in a serverpack, not for the auto-generated maps from "servermap" mod like in the screenshots above.

@CuddlesOkay, this is good in that it means the server side is working.  Did you just update your client modlauncher, including the client serverpacks?  I'm now wondering if it's not working only for those who updated a couple of days ago?

Edited by Batta

Make sure you have custommap mod installed in the client, it's required for showing maps (of both kinds)