Sign in to follow this  
Taranis

What's your game plan?

Hi all,

The question in the title is pretty clear. What's your game plan?
I've seen some people post already, most of them about making a big market, village or dwarven home. So basically making a home for themselves early on.
Are there any of you with a different approach?

As for me.. I can finally start hardcore on a fresh and wild online! server. That means 5 seconds in game, after having a look around, I will throw away everything on me!
Oh yes.. no starting tools, compass, toolbelt, tent, rope, not even a steel and flint (and that's a pita).
I know it will have a negative effect on my progress (read: skilling) the first couple of days, but it's an idea I tried on unlimited a couple of times and now the time has come to do it on the real deal!

After the initial struggle I will set up a base camp to get up some of the most important skills to roam around the land in search of a sweet spot.
Once I find that spot I will take it on me to start a village, essentially a picture I have in my head. Alone at first.. But in the back of my mind I see/have a vision of a 1 deed community that have fun playing this game together. We will see how far we can get and I'm pretty sure I will enjoy the journey ahead!

Ooh.. one last and important thing in my gameplay I will stick by!
No alts!!! Even though I want to jump into this game as a solo player, I will always need other people since (as an example) I can't play as a priest and do the things I want to do.
Something I want to make a rule in the village that's envisioned.

So that's my story... what about yours?

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

Gonna log in after creating some random character name, play for 10 minutes, crash, load up other pc and hope that dont crash. dunno from there.

priest man that mines 8 hours a day to compliment my priest man on the old servers that mines 8 hours a day

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to explore a new wilderness, and building a deed from the ground up. It's been years since I started over. I have a friend I know from Eve who is coming with to be neighbours. 

• Like 1

Playing a vynora priest. I will likely have a completely different gameplay than I normally have with the old cluster so I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 1

My plan: after being away from the game for 6 years i plan to run around like a headless chicken... At least this time around i will not try to kill a pheasant fresh out of the tutorial... like I did back in the day.

After that, who knows :)

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Taranis said:

Hi all,

The question in the title is pretty clear. What's your game plan?
I've seen some people post already, most of them about making a big market, village or dwarven home. So basically making a home for themselves early on.
Are there any of you with a different approach?

As for me.. I can finally start hardcore on a fresh and wild online! server. That means 5 seconds in game, after having a look around, I will throw away everything on me!
Oh yes.. no starting tools, compass, toolbelt, tent, rope, not even a steel and flint (and that's a pita).
I know it will have a negative effect on my progress (read: skilling) the first couple of days, but it's an idea I tried on unlimited a couple of times and now the time has come to do it on the real deal!

After the initial struggle I will set up a base camp to get up some of the most important skills to roam around the land in search of a sweet spot.
Once I find that spot I will take it on me to start a village, essentially a picture I have in my head. Alone at first.. But in the back of my mind I see/have a vision of a 1 deed community that have fun playing this game together. We will see how far we can get and I'm pretty sure I will enjoy the journey ahead!

Ooh.. one last and important thing in my gameplay I will stick by!
No alts!!! Even though I want to jump into this game as a solo player, I will always need other people since (as an example) I can't play as a priest and do the things I want to do.
Something I want to make a rule in the village that's envisioned.

So that's my story... what about yours?

Ahhh... I sense a kindred spirit. I too dislike alts, they're not something I'll ever use, but your hardcoreness far outstrips my own; I can never be separated from my pickaxe.

As for my plans... looking around a bit before temporarily settling in a half-decent spot, where I can make some tools, prepare for journeys, and generally get used to Wurm Online having only ever played Wurm Unlimited. And THEN the real work begins... exploring the vast untamed wilderness, trying to avoid getting eaten by sheep, looking for a bit of nice land to call my own/a nice deed to join and figuring out what I want to do besides mining.

Edited by DualKatanas
  • Like 1

To be honest I haven't actually committed to going to the new servers early on.  I think most who plan to go at some time will succumb to FOMO and go early.   I may or may not, as the mood takes me.   

If I do, I will likely either seek a mountain to climb or just become a nomad.

I have not run an alt in any game yet and don't intend to start.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

Started Wurm online 6 years ago. The thought of starting over on a brand new server reminds me of the European colonist of the 1500's and 1600's. Me and a buddy will be there on day one looking to find our little slice of land to begin a new adventure. Never played with alts and have no plans to do so. Wont be going in naked with no tools though. That only happens on the Discovery channel.

• Like 1

I plan to create the largest marketplace ever seen in Wurm, and starting from scratch just adds to the challenge.

Any of you guys/gals that don't want to tackle the new server alone with noob weapons and lots of death, consider joining up with our market settlement.  We have a lot of people already but would happily accept a few more. The thread can be found here: 

Edited by Hammer
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 9:53 AM, DualKatanas said:

Ahhh... I sense a kindred spirit. I too dislike alts, they're not something I'll ever use, but your hardcoreness far outstrips my own; I can never be separated from my pickaxe.

As for my plans... looking around a bit before temporarily settling in a half-decent spot, where I can make some tools, prepare for journeys, and generally get used to Wurm Online having only ever played Wurm Unlimited. And THEN the real work begins... exploring the vast untamed wilderness, trying to avoid getting eaten by sheep, looking for a bit of nice land to call my own/a nice deed to join and figuring out what I want to do besides mining.

The "hardcoreness" came like this: at one point a couple of years ago, when I was chewing all of the information on wurmpedia, I wondered why have crude tools in the game when you always get starter tools.
I get it that it's actually a plan B for if you would lose your starting gear, but I thought to myself.. Hey.. Why not try to start like that.

Not having tools is kinda ok, it only takes a couple of days, patience and being very careful. The real struggle is not having a steel and flint.. because the only way to get coal without steel and flint is by killing a hell creature. Because you need a steel and flint to light up coal piles 😬
Not having a compass can get you annoying, but also funny game moments. You probably know the story of getting lost in the wild, trying to find a path only to find yourself at the same place a couple of hours later.... yep, that's true in game also 😅

2 hours ago, Object said:

i herd u leik mudkipz

I had to look this one up, because I had no idea what you were trying to say..
1st of all, I'm not into pokemon.

I do want to thank you to take your time coming on this topic to make an amazing contribution (read: insult) to it.
Could you explain it a bit better at wich point you figured out I was a noob? Or was it just a bad joke in trying to be funny at the expense of someone else?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Taranis said:

The real struggle is not having a steel and flint.. because the only way to get coal without steel and flint is by killing a hell creature. Because you need a steel and flint to light up coal piles 😬

Cant you light up a coal pile with a hot branch?

I also like the idea of starting hardcore mode, sounds like a blast to be honest. 

Should be a hardcore mode where you start with nothing and gain the title "crazy but not lazy" hehe as it would be a ton of extra work, I also like the idea of no guards or spirit templars just me and my wits or friends i meet, also no alts.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

It's not quite as grand as building the biggest market, or slaying the first dragon, or first to 100. I want to create a place where people log in, play together, teach newbies the ropes, and tell stories about that time an anaconda destroyed our entire party. For too many, this game is about walling yourself off and grinding in isolation. Guess I'm just happy as long as I make some new friends and create exciting stories about ridiculous events

Edited by Garnetstar
  • Like 6
  • Cat 1

19 hours ago, Taranis said:

I had to look this one up, because I had no idea what you were trying to say..
1st of all, I'm not into pokemon.

I do want to thank you to take your time coming on this topic to make an amazing contribution (read: insult) to it.
Could you explain it a bit better at wich point you figured out I was a noob? Or was it just a bad joke in trying to be funny at the expense of someone else?

You're a funny guy Taranus

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Badvoc said:

Cant you light up a coal pile with a hot branch?

I also like the idea of starting hardcore mode, sounds like a blast to be honest. 

Should be a hardcore mode where you start with nothing and gain the title "crazy but not lazy" hehe as it would be a ton of extra work, I also like the idea of no guards or spirit templars just me and my wits or friends i meet, also no alts.

I actually never tried to light up coal piles with something else, since the wurmpedia clearly states " light up with steel and flint"
So I assumed it would not work with something else. Same like for the forge as example.

The last sentence I totally agree with!

4 hours ago, Object said:

You're a funny guy Taranus

In real life I have my moments.. On the internet clearly not 😉

On 7/18/2020 at 5:01 AM, Taranis said:

In real life I have my moments.. On the internet clearly not 😉

Don't worry, this is Wurm, we're all weird here

• Like 1

My plan is to simply build myself a small 2x2x1 cottage, craft some bins to go in there along with a stove and forge, then focus on helping brand new players who might be wandering around lost or trying to understand the game so that I'm possibly contributing to new players actually giving the game a good chance and sticking around longer.

I've no desire to recreate an advanced deed like I currently have on Independance and intend to keep active on, more just a little place with few expectations of advancement.  Definitely not expecting to go much beyond 20 in my skills and characteristics because  I'll not be grinding and instead focusing on just enjoying the game and getting a good feeling when I can truly help a new player out.

Oh yeah, and a rowboat and large cart.  Those will be on my plan list too for sure.  I might even build the oven and forge in a designated public area of the house (doing that would mean I'd need to expand it beyond 2x2x1 though) for anyone to use but not able to load them away.  Nothing written in stone as it's always more interesting to evolve to meet needs of both self and community!

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 9

make a mine. Fill mine with statues that a 12 core processor barely avoids throttling at. trap new players. force them to make more statues.

The typical

• Like 1

Before planing I would like to know what's the rules?

- Can we travel between PVE & PVP servers ? yes
- - Can we keep our skills from one server to another ? Maybe
- - Can we travel with ships+goods from one server to another ? Seems not, maybe skills

- What is the skillgain rate ? Standard rate
- How many servers total ? 2 servers only

I'm hype to start on a fresh new cluster but dunno what to think about these rules, same to have no synergy between the servers... 🤔

Edit: I asnwered myself with the FAQ

Edited by Baenre

the new servers aren't connected to anything or each other. skills transfer from pve to pvp and that's all. you can't travel between pvp and pve.