Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

New Server Name Poll

New Server Name Poll  

348 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Should the PvP server keep the name Rumble?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. Should the PvE server keep the name Heartland?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/07/20 at 02:34

who left the mortons open? sooo much salt 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChampIAN said:

If you're going to change the winning names then it has to be a names that were chosen by the Wurm team and not those that were entered in the competition.

Meh.  I am beyond caring WHERE they find the name.  2 problems with the proposal of leaving Wurm team to find a good name not otherwise suggested are 1) it may well be forcing them into an inferior name regardless and around we go again, and 2) they have already shown an ability to make extremely unpopular picks.

The fact that nobody is begrudging the prem and silver prizes does I think show that this isn't sour grapes but genuine objection.

I do think naming a starter deed would feel a little underwhelming - if not the server it should be a major element of it, like a largish island or major feature/region on the map, for example a large plain called Heartland and a volcanic mountain range called Rumble.

Edited by TheTrickster
grammar & spelling
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TheTrickster said:

I do think naming a starter deed would feel a little underwhelming - if not the server it should be a major element of it, like a largish island or major feature/region on the map, for example a large plain called Heartland and a volcanic mountain range called Rumble.

The only thing with that is that people who first settle there tend to decide on the names and if they stick around those names sooner then later tend to become popular so breaking that tradition would lead to the same thing we have here
Where as starter towns have always been up to the devs and we never had a real say in it hence why we had "new town" for a very very long time across multiple maps until the closer of jkh as it was the town where new people start(original right?) but everyone was happy with the name anyway yet nt lake had many names(1 of which was oracle's cloning lab) given by us the players

• Like 1

I feel with the winners seeing their proposals chosen by the team so unpopular. Admittedly I do not care so much for names (old school IT guy who was used to 6 long "names" like XY2FA or so ;) ) and thus did abstain from vote. But it is as it is and certainly no good idea to alienate the community. 

How I would have proceeded in the first place: After collecting the proposals publishing the list, giving everyone the chance to vote for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice name either of the 2 servers, resulting in 10 points for first, 5 for second, and 2 for third. After collecting the votes adding all the points, and choose the one with highest score.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChampIAN said:

Oh, so you're saying we still get bragging rights for naming the new servers as was stated at the beginning of the competition?

Be happy .)

you get the braggings rights for naming startertowns instead,  and those names will be used alot more then the servername .)

gratz again to your both :)

• Like 1

Well, I just have to add my own thoughts here since the whole thing is just so disgusting.  The "competition" was a joke.  This whole issue is a joke.  The hold a so-called competition, declare the winners, and because some people don't agree, the decision is overturned. Wow. I guess they forgot to add in the fine print that the results will only be applicable if everyone likes it.  

The "winning" names may or may not be anyone else's first choice but that's opinions, no more, no less.  To be honest those names wouldn't have been my own first choices, but again that's merely my opinion which doesn't make it right, nor should I have the right to demand that my opinion prevail.  But as usual, mob-rule wins again.  The "win" is taken away from the "winners" because some people are convinced that their opinions are fact, and it will be instead be given to another set of "winners."  And the next names chosen may or may not trigger the mob again. What then?  Yet another set of "winners?"   lol.  

Everyone seems to think that their own opinion is the only right opinion.  And the opinions of a handful of forum warriors does not necessarily constitute a fact, nor do they necessarily reflect the opinions of the average Steam player who never heard of Wurm or even bothers with forums.  It might and it might not.  Who's to say?  The loudest, most vehement,  and most persistent?  And the names I keep seeing people posting, declaring that "something like this" would be the "correct" choices are no better or worse than the original names chosen.  In fact most of them gave me a "groan" moment.  (in my "opinion" of course, lol)  So whether or not the original "winners" would have been my personal first choice is completely irrelevant.  As it should have been irrelevant with regards to everyone else's opinions as well.

Edit:  For clarification purposes, and for the "intellectuals" in the room so you understand.......  My "opinion" is not about a concern for the so-called "competition" itself, winners or losers, although those are an unfortunate casualty of a larger problem.   My "opinion," which I decided to express, is on my disgust over the fact that people are deciding what is a "good" name or getting it "right,"  and insisting that their "opinion" is absolute truth, when in reality it is nothing more than their "opinion." What one or a few think is "good" or "right" does not constitute a fact. Quite the contrary.  And they rationalize it with all sorts of altruistic platitudes while simultaneously & self-righteously demanding that their "opinion" prevail.  My question to those people is this.... What if the next names chosen do not meet with your approval?   What then?   In my "opinion" the company should decide on names and tell everyone who doesn't like them to take a flying leap at the moon.  The game will survive in spite of all dire predictions.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 2

Jesus christ its like a school talent show competition.

The chosen names didnt please the overwhelming majority of the player base. Don't take it to heart, you still get your prize and the names will still be used for the starter towns. I know i must suck but hey ho, there were plenty of players out there who didnt win and arent complaining about not winning.

• Like 4

Let's get the names right rather than worrying about a competition. We are literally trying to revive the game and names can be more important than people think. If we take the competition over the actual names themselves, we have a potential losing situation with the game itself.

The point should be to have 2 good names for the servers. That's it. It shouldn't matter the method so long as the names are good. These names were not good.

Edited by Lotus1
  • Like 10

21 minutes ago, Lotus1 said:

Let's get the names right rather than worrying about a competition. We are literally trying to revive the game and names can be more important than people think. If we take the competition over the actual names themselves, we have a potential losing situation with the game itself.

The point should be to have 2 good names for the servers. That's it. It shouldn't matter the method so long as the names are good. These names were not good.

Hear, hear.

Edited by Madt

Why not back to old good times and call IT Wild? :D

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Spy said:

Why not back to old good times and call IT Wild? :D

Honestly not a bad idea.

Wild server for pvp

Home server for pve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amadee said:

Well, I just have to add my own thoughts here since the whole thing is just so disgusting.  The "competition" was a joke.  This whole issue is a joke.  The hold a so-called competition, declare the winners, and because some people don't agree, the decision is overturned. Wow. I guess they forgot to add in the fine print that the results will only be applicable if everyone likes it.  

Ah right, I completely forgot how 297 different people, exactly 90.0% of people who came and voted, is only 'some people', and not an overwhelming majority of everyone who cares about the matter. 

What you meant to say is that one small part of the results will be changed if the vast majority of the community really dislikes it. You're just completely misrepresenting the situation, Amadee. This is a huge majority of the playerbase, and the winners aren't losing their prizes. They're still getting their 25s, their 6 months premium, and as champIAN points out, they're still getting bragging rights for naming the spawn towns. 

What is happening here that you are choosing to so plainly ignore, is that CCAB is actually being responsive to the playerbase, recognizing that a wildly unpopular choice may have been made, and giving people an opportunity to show whether that unpopularity is as you say, just among a few noisy people, or is across everyone who cares to have a say (which it is). 

The competition wasn't a joke, nor is the whole issue. The competition was a great idea, someone or some people at CCAB chose names they liked. The community expressed great concern that those names, one of them in particular, do not suit their intended purpose in the game, so CCAB listened, and allowed the community to help shape the legacy of wurm. That's all there is to it. 

As lotus said:

2 hours ago, Lotus1 said:

Edited by Arronicus
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Arronicus said:

Ah right, I completely forgot how 300 different people, exactly 90.0% of people who came and voted, is only 'some people', and not an overwhelming majority of everyone who cares about the matter. 

What you meant to say is that one small part of the results will be changed if the vast majority of the community really dislikes it. You're just completely misrepresenting the situation, Amadee. This is a huge majority of the playerbase, and the winners aren't losing their prizes. They're still getting their 25s, their 6 months premium, and as champIAN points out, they're still getting bragging rights for naming the spawn towns. 

What is happening here that you are choosing to so plainly ignore, is that CCAB is actually being responsive to the playerbase, recognizing that a wildly unpopular choice may have been made, and giving people an opportunity to show whether that unpopularity is as you say, just among a few noisy people, or is across everyone who cares to have a say (which it is). 

The competition wasn't a joke, nor is the whole issue. The competition was a great idea, someone or some people at CCAB chose names they liked. The community expressed great concern that those names, one of them in particular, do not suit their intended purpose in the game, so CCAB listened, and allowed the community to help shape the legacy of wurm. That's all there is to it. 

LOL.  Perfect example of the "here's-the-facts,-anyone-who-disagrees-is-wrong" attitude, which is the sort of usual prevailing attitude I posted to express my disdain for.  You forgot to say "In my opinion" which is all it is, really. (I'll add that this is "in my opinion," lol).  No matter if many, few, majority, minority,  agree with you.  It's irrelevant. It's an opinion.  My opinion clearly disagrees with yours.  Does that make me right?  Does that make you right?  Does that make someone else right who doesn't agree with either of us?  Who gets to decide what opinions are "right."  Or should we acknowledge that opinions are opinions, neither right nor wrong and stop claiming otherwise?  Those are the real questions, aren't they?   As well as the question of whether a game company should allow opinions to rule.  Some call it responsiveness, others may see it as caving in to the mob.  Again, opinions.  Human nature dictates that the average person believes their own opinions are immutable fact and should be heeded by all.  And as a side note, quite honestly, if the "vast majority" of the community posts on this forum, I'd be very, very, very surprised.   🤣😂

4 minutes ago, Amadee said:

And as a side note, quite honestly, if the "vast majority" of the community posts on this forum, I'd be very, very, very surprised.   🤣😂

5z9nLlR.png

Around 300-400 people online in wurm at the peak, and thats including alts etc.

332 votes on the poll (no alts)

🤣😂🤣😂🤣 guess thats nothing 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Edited by Vomusu
  • Like 6

if its sunny outside and i say i think its sunny, im right. if you say its not sunny then u are wrong.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, JamesSnow said:

if its sunny outside and i say i think its sunny, im right. if you say its not sunny then u are wrong.

Quite true.  Nothing wrong with stating facts, if they are in fact facts,  and not opinion. But problems will always arise when people conflate their opinions with facts and argue that their opinions are The Facts.  Well, I guess we can all argue semantics all day long and nothing will ever come of it, so with that I'll bow out now.  I wanted to have my say and state my opinion, as so many others have done, and I did.  So no point in dragging it out and ruffling any more feathers than I already have.  Sorry if I've "triggered" anyone but as my mom used to say, if the shoe doesn't fit why wear it? 😋

I'm thinking the usefulness of this poll is well past it's prime.  Time to let devs pull the trigger on some sort of solution and lock it down with no more changes.  I personally thought my picks were better, but any name is fine.  I think the names are better than most of the dev named servers.  I play on Pristine.  Sure, great name for a server that never had a player dig on it.  Nothing about the server says "Pristine" any more.  Release?  What does that even mean?  Xanadu?  Not once have I seen Olivia on roller skates on that server and finally gave up looking.

I guess "Freedom" is off the chart, but 50% would have been a good guess anyway. :P 

2 hours ago, Madt said:

Honestly not a bad idea.

Wild server for pvp

Home server for pve

On 6/6/2020 at 7:09 PM, Nordlys said:

My guessing is:

PVE: Freedom

PVP: Wild

Throw your money at me now, or when you realize im correct - up to you. :) 

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vomusu said:

Around 300-400 people online in wurm at the peak, and thats including alts etc.

332 votes on the poll (no alts)

🤣😂🤣😂🤣 guess thats nothing 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

You do not need to be playing to have a forum account. When the PvP discussions (sometimes dubbed as "forum PvP" 😎 ) raged in 2018/19, nearly half of the posters even bragged not to have played Wurm for some time, some for years, even some alts having forum accounts. So there is no proof how significant the voters` turnout is and how it is related to active players. Insofar, Amadee is right.

I would suppose anyway that the backlash against the chosen names was widespread. I feel sorry for the winners of the contest and find the reaction overblown but would not have voted for those names.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Amadee said:

But as usual, mob-rule wins again.

No.  Just, no.  You may actually notice if you look that there wasn't any great "reverse the decision" call at all.  There were a lot of people saying they didn't like the choice.  Once the devs asked "should we keep it" THEN people said "no".

There is a wee issue here of you spending quite while explaining in pretty strong terms your opinion that others shouldn't express their opinion strongly.  

• Like 3

The banners have gathered... for the first time in history the three kingdom meet under a shared roof to discuss the common enemy.
The name Rumble, only this once shall they allowe a truce on the pvp realm until this enemy is defeated and a new name picked for the server!

Jokes aside I think Heartland was still in the "theme" of wurm and wouldnt mind personally having it on one of the servers.
But rumble never felt fitting for this medieval setting in my opinion even though I can see why it was picked for pvp looking at the origin of the word, condolences to the ppl who got their names picked and might have to suffice with being a starter town instead.
I hope they can rejoice in that they will atleast have the rewards secured no matter the outcome in the end :)

Edited by Nocturnes
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Amadee said:

Quite true.  Nothing wrong with stating facts, if they are in fact facts,  and not opinion. But problems will always arise when people conflate their opinions with facts and argue that their opinions are The Facts.  Well, I guess we can all argue semantics all day long and nothing will ever come of it, so with that I'll bow out now.  I wanted to have my say and state my opinion, as so many others have done, and I did.  So no point in dragging it out and ruffling any more feathers than I already have.  Sorry if I've "triggered" anyone but as my mom used to say, if the shoe doesn't fit why wear it? 😋

This term can be said in the same way though for the names chosen, which is what caused the backlash in the first place. You say people here are going "here's the facts everyone disagrees is wrong", but are you not doing the exact same thing? Therefore, perhaps trying to understand why things are happening the way they are might be the next best thing. You don't have to agree with it, but look at the poll results so far and tell me with a straight face a name change isn't what the community wants. 90% of the community. That's a rather large portion don't you think? If you don't think that's a fact I don't know what to tell you as probably nothing is going to convince you, logical or not.

At the end of the day, we all want a good game. Names can be very important in a game and shouldn't be overlooked.

Edited by Lotus1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ekcin said:

You do not need to be playing to have a forum account. When the PvP discussions (sometimes dubbed as "forum PvP" 😎 ) raged in 2018/19, nearly half of the posters even bragged not to have played Wurm for some time, some for years, even some alts having forum accounts. So there is no proof how significant the voters` turnout is and how it is related to active players. Insofar, Amadee is right.

I would suppose anyway that the backlash against the chosen names was widespread. I feel sorry for the winners of the contest and find the reaction overblown but would not have voted for those names.

Agree completely that the poll results are likely heavily skewed... NO way in hell at least 30 real people liked that name.

• Like 6