Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 097 Welcome to the Northern Freedom Isles!

I went for "Phoenix" for PvP server name.  Resurrection of PvP from the ashes.

Congrats to the winners.

The key art looks great.

But.... to me the scene depicted suggests that creatures in the game actively engage in organised attacks on settlements, when in reality there is no such activity taking place and mobs wander with no type of purpose obvious (excepting the occasional hunting mechanism). Your own phrase of "a troll raid on a Wurmian castle" Is something that doesn't exist in game, and showing trolls climbing walls to get in, well that totally breaks the scene for me, the rest I could forgive. Perhaps bashing a wall and depicting cracks?

The foreground scene is excellent, the castle in the background with non-combatants looking on, or standing ready to defend, would be far more appropriate I think, as it would remove a lot of the suggested purpose in the Troll behaviour.

I would think by now companies would know better than to do that sort of thing, as it inevitably leads to backlash when the purchaser doesn't get what they are expecting.

Edited by Delone
  • Like 2

The art is nice , reminded me of Ultima Online alot .

Glad i still have all the boxes and items from it , the cloth map is the best ...

Now just need a disclamer for the castle attack .      🤪

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delone said:

The key art looks great.

But.... to me the scene depicted suggests that creatures in the game actively engage in organised attacks on settlements, when in reality there is no such activity taking place and mobs wander with no type of purpose obvious (excepting the occasional hunting mechanism). Your own phrase of "a troll raid on a Wurmian castle" Is something that doesn't exist in game, and showing trolls climbing walls to get in, well that totally breaks the scene for me, the rest I could forgive. Perhaps bashing a wall and depicting cracks?

The foreground scene is excellent, the castle in the background with non-combatants looking on, or standing ready to defend, would be far more appropriate I think, as it would remove a lot of the suggested purpose in the Troll behaviour.

I would think by now companies would know better than to do that sort of thing, as it inevitably leads to backlash when the purchaser doesn't get what they are expecting.

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback Delone. I'm glad you like the look of the art and you do bring up valid points.

Here's my take on your points: Sure, the scene is not 100% accurate, but as you know yourself, it's actually quite common for promotional material to convey a fantasy of the game. Personally, this has never bothered me as long as the fantasy is within reasonable limits and not a total rip off. As I described in my own words, "a daytime scene with trolls battling fighters up above" or "a sprawling city and harbour below" are things which could totally happen in Wurm, especially if there was a troll lair nearby or high mob spawn. As for the climbing troll, well sure, trolls don't climb walls, but they can actually climb ladders, according to Wurmpedia. :)

• Like 1

hi

Iim stunned on the stupid names of the new servers. the new art work is very good but dont tell lies about what is in game by art work. We have been asking for tougher combat mobs in game that will spawn all over and attack our deeds. We get nothing of that and then you put this in art work. this makes me pissted off and makes me laugh at the same time. Devs start doing stuff for pve combat please!

The true dark lord Melkor

9 hours ago, Grumpled said:

Congratulations to the winners!

However, all I keep thinking is:

rumble-fish-1983-720p-large.jpg

and

heartland-tv-show-up-tv-ratings-canceled

My kneejerk reaction was, "oh, american drama sitcom, got it"

From the Farm to the Barn. These cowboys always ready for a tussle. 

13 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Hmm, how cool would it be if the northern quarter of the northern Islands server was mostly Tundra, Mountain &  perma-snow, the southern quarter mostly desert, steppe and VOLCANO, swarming with hellhounds Lavafiends Hell Scorpions.  The middle 50% is normal Wurm.   No impact on farming, resources, etc as that would be way too complicated to do in time anyways.

• The peeps who adore snow, pine trees, alpine could run for that upper 25% of the server :D  (I'm in that batch)
  • The peeps who love volcanos and danger migrate south (esp if more hostile spawns)
  • The 50% who obstinately insist on being "NORMAL" can cluster in the middle half of the server

You can simply "paint" the snow area and, if people want, they can dig it to dirt again and replant in meadows etc, just like they can do with Tundra or Steppe (except just like Tundra, the imapct is permanent ie it does not spread or revert back). Same with Deserts etc. 

enqJ5EX.png

Volcanoes?  Nah, give us Downunder in the south.  Trees that will kill you by chucking down whole limbs, spiders that wait under the toilet seat to bite whatever is handy, beach shells that will spear you and inject deadly neurotoxin, all that fun stuff.

On 7/13/2020 at 3:41 AM, Eyesgood said:

No slam on the players who won - congrats to you both. 

But seriously, "Heartland" makes no sense for the "NORTHERN" Freedom Isles.  How can it be the HEART, when it is not in the center?  Sorry guys, but that makes ZERO sense.  

This is what should have happened.  The dev team should have condensed the list to 3 names for each server from those submitted and then let the players have the final vote.

So, I will go ahead and mention my choices, which will probably get just as much flak, and that's fine.    

PVE:  Harmony

PVP:  Tumult

My suggestions were close to that (actually identical and close in that order)

PVE: Harmony [EDIT:  Wait, no, I went the other way.  I couldn't decide between Harmony and Synergy - I changed my mind so many times it's a bit hard to remember which I actually submitted, but I am pretty sure I went with Synergy]

PVP: Dissonance

Congrats to those who suggested something the decision-makers would choose.

However, while like everyone else I thought my own [as in, we each thought our own suggestions good - I just realized how it might have looked like I was saying everyone thought mine were good, which is ridiculous] suggestions were good (after all, why suggest them iF I didn't think they were good) but I was really hoping that whatever was chosen was at least as good, and at risk of getting all punny, those names are dissonant. 

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Cat 1

Why not give actually meaningful names like:

PvE: Tich

PvP: Norolf (which is obvisously the name of the Notch and Rolf couple :) )

I feel like all the people complaining about Rumble being a bad PvP name (it's fine) may be forgetting what the current PvP server name is.

In that regard, Rumble fits perfectly, and I'm kicking myself for going with the usual naming scheme (words similar to Deli, Cele, etc) with my suggestions when it came to the PvP server.

Nice work! :)

https://imgur.com/3zqqVTT

3zqqVTT.png

I have only one question, what is the 1st picture of the 5th row? Is it a loaf of bread?

Edited by Annyil

31 minutes ago, Annyil said:

I have only one question, what is the 1st picture of the 5th row? Is it a loaf of bread?

I think it's the "blob" that you see instead of spiders in arachnophobia mode :P

• Like 1

Not sure why I'm chiming in here, I'm not at all interested in playing on a 1x server.  But the word "rumble" literally means "a street fight between gangs or large groups" in the U.S.  Maybe it doesn't mean that in Europe, so there's a lot of cultural disconnect there.  But to me, that's the definition of PvP.  Player vs. Player.  Raiding deeds is almost never PvP.  /shrug

Maybe the dev team choose that word because that's how they feel PvP should be played?

12 hours ago, wipeout said:

NAME THE PVP SERVER
“The Pit”
COMMIT
TO
THE
PIT

Courtesy of @Beastwolf

If this happens, I'm forever calling it the armpit. lol

• Like 1

Ill be honest.... those aren't bad names. But they don't really fit wurm patterns. Especially Rumble.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bdew said:

I think it's the "blob" that you see instead of spiders in arachnophobia mode :P

Yup! That's the one :)

8 hours ago, Ricowan said:

But the word "rumble" literally means "a street fight between gangs or large groups" in the U.S. 

That is like the last thing that comes to mind when i think of the word rumble 

• Like 1

Don't forget the older meaning as used in the early 20th century of 'rumble seat'.  It was a fold-out seat in the very back of the vehicle where one could sit exposed outside of the cab.  

Just now looking it up, I see they were called 'dickie seats' in the UK, so rumble seat was the American term.

The rumble of the sound of the engine and environment when seated exposed outside, I suppose, is why that name was chosen.

5 hours ago, Beastwolf said:

Never Forget

7f570e9977cf8de5dc1a3ab97b535ee4.jpg

• Cat 1