Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 097 Welcome to the Northern Freedom Isles!

You get a professional artsy person do the art, and the art will be good. Very nice, Malena! :D

But... Server names, no no no.

Heartland - mainstream, generic, cheesy, nothing similar with the other server names. Heart of what? It's a safe go-to name for any sort of fantasy location, but Wurm Online could can do better.

Rumble - hungry stomach; a light blue toy elephant for 5 year olds; is that name for Wurm Online server, really, what?? 

Both of them fit for Rose Online or some other glittery MMORPG run-around-gather-20-hornet-stingers. Not Wurm Online.

I skimmed through the previous 140ish replies and only a couple of them expressed neutral or positive feedback on those names. There's about 100 replies with negative feelings, confusion and disbelief. All in 6 hours.

Please do reconsider.

Disclaimer: I did not play Rose. No.

• Like 2

Actually so many good names posted. I imagine many more not posted just on the form.

Neither of the server names tell anything about Wurm but very generic fantasy save-the-effort names. Cast the prizes, choose another, blame the whining playerbase.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Arronicus said:

Ha..  completely forgot epic was a thing.  You know because it was so popular. 

7 hours ago, Retrograde said:

If you would like to use this as your desktop background,

;_; I dont have an active windows copy anymore... Im stuck with the blue background. Thanks for reminding me of the things I cant have! ;D

26 minutes ago, Ascorbic said:

Ha..  completely forgot epic was a thing.  You know because it was so popular. 

:( I played there 2011-2014, (Desertion, but still). Came in time for most of the major deeds to still be around, got to watch the playercount shrivel away until I felt like I was playing solo. I really enjoyed it as a pve experience (Epic skillgain and curve is a lot more my personal preference), but I think the prospect of people being able to raid you or kill you was enough to cause not many people to come. 6 years later, my characters still have everything I considered valuable jammed into their inventories, hoping someday, somehow, epic will become popular again. 

Many congratulations to the winners.  At this point though I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they were wishing they hadn’t entered the contest in the first place.  I hope they keep in mind that those who do like their submissions would understandably be likely to keep quiet in the face of such a harsh chorus of negativity.

Personally, I couldn’t care less about the names.  I am super excited to start playing on a brand new server, the first permanent server to open since I started playing this amazing game. I thank the devs for their hard work, and for the many hours of enjoyment I have gotten from Wurm, and for the many hours to come.

Can’t wait for July 24.

• Like 6

the name Rumble makes me want raspberry rumble ice cream from UDF 

• Like 1

Heartland is alright I guess for PvE. Leads to calm imagery, fitting in its own way. 

But Rumble....jeez makes me think of American Wrestling for some reason. Take a general look at pvp server names, they have a sort of pattern (except Jkh - Serenity). Desertion (gloomy, the theme is deserts of course). Affliction - good Blh name. Elevation (well until it became flat...ironically). Chaos of course is probably the best name of all.

Not saying we should revote, but whatever AI you used to roll from 1-1000 #suggestions, better re-roll it. Ascension would be a better name for PvP tbh, although at this point I forgot my original name suggestion. 

-1 on the PvP name suggestion. Not bashing the players who suggested it of course. I just don't like the pick. 

I'd just like to say thank you for all the love for the key art! Malena worked extremely hard and we are all incredibly thrilled with the result.

As for the issues with server names, we hear your feedback regarding it and we want to give everyone an opportunity to share their thoughts. To gauge this and to allow everyone to have their say we will be opening a forum poll. This poll will determine if we review the names and pick new ones and allow players to vote individually on whether we will keep or change the pvp and pve names. 

While I do appreciate those wanting it put to a popular vote, we cannot do so and instead will work internally if a name change is the winner of the poll. 

Rest assured the people already named will receive prizes.

If new names are sought out, the players who chose them will be rewarded as well.

Expect to see the poll up shortly! 

• Like 35
  • Cat 1

3 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

I'd just like to say thank you for all the love for the key art! Malena worked extremely hard and we are all incredibly thrilled with the result.

As for the issues with server names, we hear your feedback regarding it and we want to give everyone an opportunity to share their thoughts. To gauge this and to allow everyone to have their say we will be opening a forum poll. This poll will determine if we review the names and pick new ones and allow players to vote individually on the pvp and pve names. 

If new names are sought out, the players who chose them will be rewarded as well.

I wish I wasn't at my limit of Likes for the day,  but I'll be coming back tomorrow to give this post every like I can. Thank you Retrograde

3 hours ago, Malena said:

Haha, that would be sweet, wouldn't it? And as amusing as that thought is, it's key art we're talking about here, not box art. Actually a lot of people seem to confuse the two. Key art is a painting that can be used to promote the game in many ways. For instance, we just updated all the social media today with the new key art: 

SocialMediaUpdate.jpg

However "box art" is a different thing. I think a great way to explain the difference is by using Ultima Online as an example: 

Here is UO's original key art

Here is UO's original box art that used part of the "key art" to create it.

Hope that clarifies things for everyone :)

Great Job on the art!! 

• Like 1

'Sorry, you cannot add any more reactions today'

So I'd just like to say thanks for listening Retro. I was gonna like your reply to all our moaning but can't so this will have to do  :)

Oh and grats to the name winners - also malaena's artwork is great :) love it.

Edited by Rhianna
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnnny said:

However, judging from the new server names and how terrible they are; they just do not align with other server names. Those names really sound more of starter towns or deeds. I’m at all not surprised that everybody is cringing at them.

To me it seems like you’re trying to appease to a younger audience. I feel like this isn’t where your audience lies, unless you want a quick buck, then again, even if they do become interested in playing and end up purchasing premium for one month, they won’t be around for a long time, and you certainly will not build a bigger and stable audience, but a quick buck is a quick buck right?

Oh and this. My thoughts exactly. 

Wurm always had an "aged" demographic, most of its player base from what I've estimated is 75% ages 25-60. 

Using corny marketing tactics will never work on this group. Unless you specifically want to alienate the 75% in favor of the young 25% with a smaller attention span and those who'll forget about wurm in 1-2 weeks. See WoW as a case study for losing millions of subscribers. Modify a game to appeal to a younger audience, dumb it down, use cheap marketing tricks and you have a situation where your mature audience leaves and play other games. The fact that WoW classic was such as success shows that their original game design was good vs their current theme park ride one.

I'd rather WO not become a 2nd case study in how to alienate your playerbase. I do hope steam will be a success but I have to ask the following question: 

If the purpose is to "appeal" to a new steam audience, why even bother asking for wurm player feedback if you're going to choose something contrary to Wurm - nomenclacure - design itself? 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

As for the issues with server names, we hear your feedback regarding it and we want to give everyone an opportunity to share their thoughts. To gauge this and to allow everyone to have their say we will be opening a forum poll. This poll will determine if we review the names and pick new ones and allow players to vote individually on whether we will keep or change the pvp and pve names. 

I'm really grateful that the dev team is listening to the community feedback and giving us a chance to change the names of the servers. 

41 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

While I do appreciate those wanting it put to a popular vote, we cannot do so and instead will work internally if a name change is the winner of the poll.

Out of curiosity,  why can't we do a popular vote? What happens if the next name selected is as unanimously disliked as the current naming option?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ElFlamaBlanca said:

Out of curiosity,  why can't we do a popular vote? What happens if the next name selected is as unanimously disliked as the current naming option?

At least we have a chance to get away from Rumble

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Appreciate the quick response and willingness to make a change.

I don't understand why people are complaining the new pvp island is called Rumble, you can literally start every fight with the "LETS GET READY TO RUUUMBLEEEEEE" and it will never grow old... never

• Like 1

On one hand, it feels pretty rude to strike out at the winning names like I've seen here, and I feel bad for the winners for one time because of the reactions. On the other hand, I do respectfully dislike one of the two names enough to wish it had been picked differently. 

Kudos for a swift reaction by staff. I don't admire their position in this.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, punishlife said:

I don't understand why people are complaining the new pvp island is called Rumble, you can literally start every fight with the "LETS GET READY TO RUUUMBLEEEEEE" and it will never grow old... never

Its the idea of trying to get people to come over eg friends from other games without making them laugh at the server name and not take it serious

12 minutes ago, Alpengeist said:

On one hand, it feels pretty rude to strike out at the winning names like I've seen here,

Fortunately, the names themselves don't have feelings, and the vast majority of people are not criticizing the people who suggested them, but rather the decision of CCAB to choose those particular names as the winners. 

On the other hand, I do respectfully dislike one of the two names enough to wish it had been picked differently. 

It's a little rich to say that you're not being rude to the names because you 'respectfully dislike' it. 

Arronicus, I think the syntax of "on one hand" and "on the other hand" evaded you there, along with the overall meaning of my post. I think most understood though :)

• Like 1