Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 097 Welcome to the Northern Freedom Isles!

Yeesh, really painful names. Glad I wasn't planning on joining them.

• Like 1

The face you make when you hear you'll be pvp'ing on Rumble

1WI9ZxY.png

*classic wurm man is not amused*

• Like 9

Please let DragonNoir and ChampIAN retain their prizes but please rethink the names.

Some have said "who cares about a name?" I encourage you to name your child Gollum and see how he feels about the importance of names. Every Wurm server has followed a certain aesthetic with Xanadu being a clear outlier.

Current servers:

Affliction - Middle English traced back to Latin

Celebration - Middle English traced back to Latin

Chaos - Latin, from Greek

Deliverance - Old French

Desertion - Middle French and late Latin

Elevation - Old French traced back to Latin

Exodus - Latin, from Greek

Pristine - Middle French or Latin

Release - Old French or Latin

Serenity - Middle French or Latin

Xanadu - Anglicized from Mongolian city of Shang-tu

Steam servers:

Rumble - Middle Dutch or Middle High German

Heartland - Combination of two Old English words

Beyond the many points already made,  these names simply do not fit with the rest of the servers. The reason Latin is a common denominator in the server names thus far is because many of the most evocative words in the English language are traced back to Latin. They simply sound better and evoke emotion. The only thing that springs to my mind when hearing "Rumble" is the sound my phone makes when it vibrates on a wooden table top.

• Like 13
  • Cat 1

"Rumble" seems like an old N64 game title. Maybe it'll be appealing to the Steam community because it sounds like an old-school gaming concept. But it feels very detached from previous Wurm Online server names. Maybe Steam players will find it appealing, while the rest of the player-base doesn't. Perhaps that was the goal?

Heartland does seem like a good name under certain context. But, again, it feels detached from the previous server names and it seems out of place that it would have won over some of the other submissions.

Congrats to the winners, though I am with the people saying the names don't fit at all in the world of Wurm. Heartland is more tolerable but Rumble sounds extremely silly and out of place. TBH it does not effect me much, considering I had no interest in totally starting over on a new server and would only be on the new servers if they were merged into the existing cluster, just as a visitor. 

The new artwork is great, Malena :) I have noticed a few of the new portraits and they look much better! 

• Like 2

So much to say, so much of it already summarized in other comments. 

First, Malena, wow, amazing job, love your efforts, thank you for these contributions to the game.

But seriously. I was waiting to hear the names picked for the new servers, largely so I could congratulate the winners: there were so many great name suggestions out there, that even though I like what I submitted, I didn't expect to win out of a pool of so many great names. The names that got picked, however, actually make me kinda resent the winners for submitting those names... This all feels like a bad joke, I read through all 6 pages of this thread quickly looking for retrograde or someone else from the team apologizing about some terrible mistake being made. Or how the names were picked as part of some promotional effort in line with some other game. Or how the names were completely randomly picked (which even then should have yielded better results). 

I don't want to be really negative about this, but these names are actually bad for the game, and were a really bad business move. Beyond upsetting the playerbase, beyond picking names that are completely out of line with all the other wurm server names (of which MANY suggestions were in-line with them), these names are going to actively discourage new players from playing on those servers. 

When you join a game like wurm, and you don't really know anything about the servers to begin with, the name itself is a HUGE deciding factor on which map you pick. The only people who are going to choose rumble to join, based on name, are people who don't have the right mentality to enjoy wurm. Whereas heartland is just so incredibly mediocre, that practically every other pve server name in the game sounds more appealing. It's like being offered plain spaghetti, when there's a whole bunch of fancy pasta dishes surrounding it with great sauces and toppings. Still, it's bearable I guess, but rumble? It's truly hard to believe that got picked, and while I doubt that a new name will be picked, what an embarrassment to the game.  

Hopefully, when the rest of CCAB sees the names that got picked, they can override this awful choice. Rumble and heartland are not names you get as the product of a vote from a pool of names like that, they're names that got picked by a single person thinking they sounded good, and that person having the final say...

Edited by Arronicus
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

Box art was specifically mentioned.   When can we excpect to see Wurm Online sold in retail stores?  I'd like a few copies for my collection!   It's amazing to hear Wurm is big enough now to be a household name and have the money to release on physical media!   Nothing like a nice Box, Manual, and Disc!

What stores will sell it?  Best Buy, Gamestop, Wal-Mart?

Haha, that would be sweet, wouldn't it? And as amusing as that thought is, it's key art we're talking about here, not box art. Actually a lot of people seem to confuse the two. Key art is a painting that can be used to promote the game in many ways. For instance, we just updated all the social media today with the new key art: 

SocialMediaUpdate.jpg

However "box art" is a different thing. I think a great way to explain the difference is by using Ultima Online as an example: 

Here is UO's original key art

Here is UO's original box art that used part of the "key art" to create it.

Hope that clarifies things for everyone :)

• Like 15
  • Cat 1

Well it was worth waiting the 2 extra days for the new server names, right 🤣 in retrospect, it might have been better for the Devs to pick their top 5 and have the community vote for the winners. Anyway, lets not dwell.

Loving the new artwork, its awesome and I am really excited to see this new chapter of Wurm begin, whatever your thoughts about the new Steam release, we all want the same thing, a thriving community for the players and a commercial success for the owners, developers and all working behind the scenes.

Don't forget Xanadu is getting a new home tomorrow as well,  now that @Keenanhas proven that our partnership with Cloudnet is working well with Celebration.

Wurm is on the up folks!

Edited by solmark
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Madnath said:

0PTmP0d.png

I am so happy you posted this

my 

actual

face

hahahahaha

for the PvP one

Edited by Beastwolf

1 minute ago, solmark said:

Well it was worth waiting the 2 extra days for the new server names, right 🤣 in retrospect, it might have been better for the Devs to pick their top 5 and have the community vote for the winners. Anyway, lets not dwell.

No, now is the only good time to dwell on it, and share your displeasure on the decision, because now is the only time that the decision can be changed. Give the original winners their prizes, I do not think that should be taken away, but at this point CCAB can still re-pick names that aren't awful, without having to change anything. Stuff isn't set in stone, there aren't references to heartland fumble all over the place yet. There's still hope for us to get server names that at least won't serve as a detriment to the game, but only if we empower staff at CCAB to speak up about the fact they, too, think rumble is an awful name. 

Congratulations to the winners!

However, all I keep thinking is:

rumble-fish-1983-720p-large.jpg

and

heartland-tv-show-up-tv-ratings-canceled

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Arronicus said:

No, now is the only good time to dwell on it, and share your displeasure on the decision, because now is the only time that the decision can be changed. Give the original winners their prizes, I do not think that should be taken away, but at this point CCAB can still re-pick names that aren't awful, without having to change anything. Stuff isn't set in stone, there aren't references to heartland fumble all over the place yet. There's still hope for us to get server names that at least won't serve as a detriment to the game, but only if we empower staff at CCAB to speak up about the fact they, too, think rumble is an awful name. 

Yeah, honestly with the backlash this thread has, if they don't change at least Rumble, my respect for the team is going to lower a lot.

This is a test of the team's ability to listen to their playerbase. If they can't listen to a simple thing like this and be willing to change it, what exactly can we expect in the future?

Edited by Lotus1
  • Like 1

You forgot this little fella right here. Rumble won't do theres copyright issues right here. Gotta give Riot a call real quick.

Rumble Build Guide : [10.5] RTO'S Challenger Rumble Top Lane ...

Edited by agentusp
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grumpled said:

Congratulations to the winners!

However, all I keep thinking is:

rumble-fish-1983-720p-large.jpg

and

heartland-tv-show-up-tv-ratings-canceled

Same on the last as for rumble its a "rumble pack" that does it for me just can't take it as a serious name

Rumble shall henceforth be known as grumble :P

• Like 2

The key art is really terrific. It gives people a good introduction to what Wurm is about while showing off what can be done within the game. There's a lot of very positive feedback for the art work but I think it's being overshadowed by the outcry of disapproval for the server names. Pretty much every other pvp map suggestion would have been better and more closely related to previous Wurm Online server names:

for PVP

Justice
Valor (probably my second pick because of the meaning and the sound of the word)
Glory (I keep coming back to this one as the best one I've seen personally. It's very fitting)
Vindication
Despair
Pergatory
Wild
Ascention
Annihilation
Plunder
Strife
Diligence

...would have all been better choices. Rumble sounds like an arcade game and is not related to any other map name in the history of Wurm Online. I understand the concept behind choosing this word, but the word itself isn't catchy or interesting. 

for PVE

Prosperity
Fellowship
Diligence
Tranquility
Hope
Triumph (my personal pick for the best one I have seen)
Ataraxia (similar nomenclature with Xanadu)

Changing the new server cluster to the Northern Freedom Isles was a very good choice. It's better than having an additional Freedom Isle map that can't interact at all with the other Freedom Isles. Being that all Wurmians know the northern areas in Wurm are more primal and dangerous from mobs, it was an appropriate and insightful decision to label the new, fresh maps the Northern Isles. Good move.

I imagine there were tons of submissions to look through, but these are just some that were posted on the forum that looked like better choices to me. As an English teacher the most fitting and interesting sounding names for servers would be Triumph and Glory. Neither one was my own submission. If anyone else agrees, feel free to heart this.

• Like 3

This is such a pity.

The naming of the new servers ought to have been a time for celebration,  of looking forward to their release  and wondering whether there will be an exodus from the existing servers to the new worlds that await us.

I feel so sorry for the winners but all I would say to them is well done and enjoy your rewards.

Creating a competition like this is not easy and I am sure that those involved realise that now. The decisions have been made and I am sure that they were made with the best intentions. It may have been that the senior team wanted names in a certain style (I may be wrong but it seems a younger, more snappy style is what was desired rather than names that enhanced the original server titles)

Good luck with the new servers, I hope that they are a great success!

Oh, nearly forgot- well done Malena for all your hard work. Brilliant as usual.

Edited by Spolmit
Extra Information
  • Like 1

Parents:  "Oh hey guys we've decided to let you help in naming our twins! Give us suggestions pleaase!"

Family:  "*a whole bunch of suggestions*"

Parents: "Brilliant! This was a hard choice you guys so many interesting options! We're gonna call our son Rumble and our daughter Heartland!"

Edited by agentusp

Like holly well, i put in a name thinking i wouldn't win but to see the wining name being this bad and wining is ridiculous. Did you guys pick your girlfriend to win the contest? IDC about the prize but we all have to deal with these awful names. Also your scaring the new people who join. SMH 🤮

While i dont care about steam servers,unless they merge in the future. I do hope ypu will keep old servers and cluster updated

9 minutes ago, Zarame said:

While i dont care about steam servers,unless they merge in the future. I do hope ypu will keep old servers and cluster updated

They aren't steam servers. They are WO servers just like any other, but on a new WO cluster, launched to coincide with the steam release. The only thing 'steam' about the servers, is their coinciding with the release of WO on steam. 

I removed WO from my wishlist on my steam account. 24th will be Dependence Day. All last changes was for Steam, not for Wurm imo. This topic confirm my last bad feeling. I stopped feel like a Wurmian, started think about myself as simple user whos pays upkeep. Somebody made decision to make Wurm more marketing instead of accessible and player-friendly and thought that is good way to open WO for new players. So be it.

• Like 1

The art work is really great, kudos to Malena.

But, now imagine having to go through all this effort to put Wurm on steam, new UI, better graphics, better art to appeal to a bigger audience.

Even when I tried to introduce my friends to Wurm back in 2016, all of them didn’t enjoy the game because of how clunky, and out-dated the UI and graphics were, and I could bet my arm that their attention span wasn’t longer than 6 seconds, therefore they couldn’t even dive deep into the game and learn the mechanics and the true beauty of this game, as that is what overshadowed the UI and graphics for me, and many others I can bet.

However, judging from the new server names and how terrible they are; they just do not align with other server names. Those names really sound more of starter towns or deeds. I’m at all not surprised that everybody is cringing at them.

To me it seems like you’re trying to appease to a younger audience. I feel like this isn’t where your audience lies, unless you want a quick buck, then again, even if they do become interested in playing and end up purchasing premium for one month, they won’t be around for a long time, and you certainly will not build a bigger and stable audience, but a quick buck is a quick buck right?

My opinion may be wrong in all I said, but it is what it is.

Although, I also feel like you need to reward the winners and maybe even contact them to work with better names so they fit within the Wurm realm.

TL;DR:

Art work good, names bad, reward winners, change names to fit with the Wurm realm

• Like 3