Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 097 Welcome to the Northern Freedom Isles!

LayBmvJ.jpg

Greetings Wurmians! 

Today's Valrei International comes with special reveals and the winners of the server name competition! Besides naming the new lands, we have designated the new cluster as the Northern Freedom Isles, with the existing server cluster renamed to Southern Freedom Isles. 

What's in a name?

And the winners are... *drumroll*

Spoiler

WLaTBOa.jpg

Congratulations! These two players will go down in history with the ability to brag about naming these new, wild, lands of the Northern Freedom Isles.

That's the key!

With any great game comes amazing Key art, which is used as promo material, box art, and across social media! The lovely Malena a.k.a. Katspurr has outdone herself in creating this fantastic scene of a troll raid on a Wurmian castle! 

SAwTAaW.jpg

We asked her to elaborate more on her work as well as share some early concepts:

Malena

2plyuz7.jpg

There's something that most games have that Wurm Online has been missing all of these years, namely: Key art. For those who don't know what key art is, it's usually a painting that represents the game, which can then be used in the box art, in social media backgrounds, banners and so on. Even though Wurm Online is nearly 15 years old, it's never actually had any key art, so what better time to finally make one than the Steam launch! We started by sketching out various concepts for what this painting could be, and in the end, the first concept was chosen. Only, instead of nighttime, we switched it to a daytime scene with trolls battling fighters up above with, a sprawling city and harbour below. We hope you get a kick out of seeing familiar things like our trolls from Wurm, represented in a painted format!

If you would like to use this as your desktop background, we have you covered! https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18WH2AnZEPRDfg4EQAk-KNfSmNegfzZLf?usp=sharing

We've seen a few other questions about the launch time and whether a map dump will be available so thought we'd answer them quickly below: 

• Right now we don't have an exact time of day for the launch but expect it to be evening Central European Time. 
  • A map dump will not be available upon launch, but an in-game map will be. 

Target Window Icons
Some of the target window icons came out early, and with the old UI looked a little... off. 

Rest assured, the new UI handles them much better, and we'd love to show off the full set! Check them out below:

dmi0AN2.jpeg

Wurm Launch Trailer!

The launch trailer has been completed and is ready for release leading up to the launch of the game on Steam on the 24th, it's a fantastic trailer, and it even makes ME want to play Wurm! 

It's going to be amazing so keep your eyes peeled! If you haven't wishlisted Wurm on Steam already, you can do so right here! https://bit.ly/WOSTEAM

Wurm keeps moving forward and we're kicking into the final gear in time for the launch on Steam, so hold on tight and keep on Wurming! 

Regards,

Retrograde & the Wurm team

• Like 21

2 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

What's in a name?

Hide contents

WLaTBOa.jpg

0PTmP0d.png

• Like 56

Congratulations to the winners.

Any information about the 5 or so top names that either were chosen from?

I am sure many would be interested to see the creative thoughts of the community.

• Like 7

lol

target portraits look good tho

• Like 7

Cant wait for people to Rumble about this.

Edited by Bradcub
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

What's in a name?

Reveal hidden contents

WLaTBOa.jpg

DarkInsignificantBumblebee-size_restrict

• Like 17

lol

Sorry, but this is not good

Edited by Ryaanna
  • Like 18

26 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

the existing server cluster renamed to Southern Freedom Isles. 

Time to polish your sotherner accents y`all!

• Like 1

Wow.. How are we going to abbreviate rumble?

"I'm portalling to rum"

"I'm going to rub"

Edited by Monokles
  • Like 7

Since I didn't provide a name suggestion, I don't feel I have the authority to complain :).  I am just excited to have a fresh go at a new PVP server with some balance iterations.

• Like 1

Those names seem very unusual. Bad PR is good PR though?

I suggested Awakening and Resurgence (for the pvp) - these reflect the hope we had for the revival of wurm / PVP

I know this is just about names, which don't really matter, but I don't think the words chosen 'mean' anything at all

They also don't match the existing server names. Put in a test of "pick the two most different to the rest", I think most people would choose these new ones

• Like 6

Those server names sound like some hobby WU servers and not like some professional servers run by a company.

• Like 9

Nice pics about trolls doing a raid , a shame that will not true   would be interesting it in the game . 

Rumble well ... no comments.

• Like 2

whoever voted for rumble....

like honestly, come on

there has to be something better than that one

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

Rumble is quite awful as a name...

+1

• Like 7

I wonder how many people voted for Rumble.

Whole Wurm team?  Or just one person made pick?

• Like 4

Please don't take it the wrong way, but I think the names are bad. Name it something like "Prosperity" and "Vindication", "Pandemonium", "Discord" or whatever. Even "Hearthland" or "Hearth" would be better than "Heartland". I mean it doesn't really sound like anything.

EDIT: just forget about voting, please, and choose something good. I didn't even know there was a vote going on, and I bet a lot of players are in the same situation.

Edited by Idlamn
  • Like 6