Oblivionnreaver

grindin everything

I got from 80 to 90 creating 700 half finished charcoal piles (max 10 logs I could carry) using <10ql logs. Got .15 gains per 10 half piles with food affinity, coffee and sb.

These piles fit nicely in rafts in a cart to be dropped and finished later with high ql logs. One big fire and collecting tons of ash and charcoal 🤪

• Like 1

Short summary of what I did and got, thanks for all hints.

I got 5 levels to 54.90 with caffeine. Used 100 kindlings successively combined to the coc99 one, always more kindlings than logs until the last one to avoid losing the coc. Took a bit over an hour, but looked worth while. Initially, the tick rate was very bad, maybe because the kindling started at 3.8 ql which went down with combining (combined ones under 2), and damage taken from failures.

I do not care for piles, stacking them on a raft and using up as forge fuel.

For stamina management, I use to be at 0% water, and use climb to arresst stamina regain (which is still fast with PoP).

J-Smith: imping gold statuettes gives you pretty good fodder for deed bonus.

Edited by Dirt

On 12/2/2020 at 4:45 PM, Tigrosaur said:

I believe your statement about the bonus is flawed/incorrect.

Going by the latest Wurm Unlimited code and assuming we're talking about a religious spell-cast with the target being an item (Spell.run(Creature performer, Item target, float counter)) the routine behind the bonus is the following:

First the bonus is initially set as:

bonus = Math.abs(performer.getAlignment()) - 49.0f;

So not Alignment / 2 but rather the absolute(value) minus 49, it is almost identical for 100 alignment (51 vs the 50 you mentioned) but very different for lower values, for example 10 alignment would equal to -39 bonus.

Next it checks if the player is a champion and has to move into a different kingdom influence.

If this is the case it will reduce the bonus by 50 while also increasing the difficulty of the spell by 20.

If this is not the case it will check the material of the target item and if it is made of "crystal" (material: 52) or "diamond" (material: 54) but not a Gem it will add +100 to the bonus.

After this is done it looks up the village of the player and if present adds the village enchant bonus onto it (doesn't matter if the player is on-deed or not)

Only at this point the armor comes into place, first the game checks if the bonus so far is bigger than 0.0 and if it is multiplies the bonus with it.

if (bonus > 0.0f) {
    bonus *= 1.0f + performer.getArmourLimitingFactor();
}

So if you have -30% spell/archery the bonus would be multiplied with 0.7:

bonus = bonus * ( 1 + (-0.3) )

Important to point out here is that if your bonus at this point is <= 0.0, then your armor penalty/bonus will be ignored.

After this is done the bonus is then added together with the "Faith bonus" of the player which can be found in your "Spell effects" window (HUD Settings: Spell effects)

It is calculated as following for non-champions:

If the player has no deity:

faith-bonus = 0

If the player has a deity and is standing in the influence radius of an altar with the same deity:

faith-bonus = 5

+ 10 if the player has more than 30 faith

+ every point above 90 faith

+ 0.5 for every full altar strength on the tile you're standing on (Strength = Surface: EffectiveAltarQL - Max(DistanceX, DistanceY), Mine: EffectiveAltarQL / 2 - Max(DistanceX, DistanceY))

If the player has a deity and is standing in the influence radius of a different-god altar with strength >= 1.0

faith-bonus = 0

If the player has a deity and is not standing in the influence radius of an altar or is standing in the influence radius of a different-god altar with strength < 1.0 

faith-bonus with <90 faith = 0

faith-bonus with >=90 faith = 5 + every point above 90 faith

For champion players the faith-bonus is simply 0 inside their own kingdom influence or 50 outside.

Finally after the bonus and the faith-bonus are added together it does one last multiplication if the target item has "increase the chance of successfully enchanting the item" runes attached.

The rune effects are first added together and then multiplied with the bonus, so a +10% and a +5% rune would increase the final bonus by another 15%.

However, as mentioned by Oblivionreaver, the bonus has a max cap of 70.

Someone should make a calculator of this if it isn't already a thing. It seems really complicated...

On 4/19/2021 at 2:03 AM, Oblivionnreaver said:

iirc, activated item is the tool ql, and 1-10 diff low ql will get you to 60, sub10ql on 20-25 diff will get you to 100 just fine

Get it up to max on an archery target first then just kill mobs endlessly. Long bow skill does basically nothing, archery is your accuracy/damage/all that fancy stuff so dont worry about the small/med/long bow skills

Just a hint to the technique: Have a coc'd animal part, combine it to max (64 items combined) and activate, and have 63 counterparts (mushroom, lovage, rosemary etc.) in a container (e.g. satchel) in inventory. The one less prevents consuming the coc'd item. It is handy to have a stack of combined 63 items which can be re-combined to the coc item.

On 7/10/2020 at 10:08 AM, Oblivionnreaver said:

Butchering

For butchering the animal, diff for meat is parts already butchered x 3, so the first one butchered is 0 diff, the next is 3 diff, one after that 6 diff, and so forth. Around a 15 diff mark is where you'd want to balance your knife ql for. Use CoC+WoA/BOTD and be full health+stam as the butcher/filet time does not effect skillgain, only how many things you butcher. For fileting, diff = damage, so ideally you want to lava the meat to high damage and counter that with a high ql knife for really fast butcher actions. From 1-60 kill+butcher+filet everything with your lowish ql knife, past 60, butcher with a high ql rare+ knife to get the most meat, gather up thousands of it, lava it all at the same time then when you get the right diff turn on sleep bonus and go to town fileting. Pre-fsb meat can be 0.6-1.2kg whereas fsb'd meat is 0.3kg so you'll get way more use out of your time fileting meat before you fsb it ( a 1.2kg meat gives 4 butchering tick chances, a 0.3kg meat gives 1).

So I've been trying a bit of Butchering now and I just realized that I kinda misread this. Or it could use a little extra info. Either way...

For Butchering and Fileting (this uses a Butchering Knife), definitely full stamina and WoA is the way to go, just like written. All the skill ticks are the same no matter how long the action takes.

But after that, you can also Dice and then Mince the meat/filets (this uses a "Knife"), and for that, the skill ticks are bigger with longer action timers.

So go ahead and do low stamina and CoC only for Dice and Mince actions using a Knife.

thanks for the guide, funny cat avatar man :)

• Like 1

Metallurgy - Brass/bronze till 60ish then electrum. Low ql lumps are a necessity.

"Low ql lumps are a necessity"  whats the best low ql of lumps to use 10ql 20ql as in low ?

5 hours ago, Tigerclaw said:

Metallurgy - Brass/bronze till 60ish then electrum. Low ql lumps are a necessity.

"Low ql lumps are a necessity"  whats the best low ql of lumps to use 10ql 20ql as in low ?

On 7/10/2020 at 4:08 PM, Oblivionnreaver said:

creation - You want your create chance to be 75% if possible, 60-80% is fine but as close to 75% create chance as possible

• Like 3

You can use alcohol too, it worked wonders for me with coal/iron up to 70 skill and I can easily continue much further. 

You just need to spot the effective drunkenness level for your current skill and QL material you use. (works best if you have a large stockpile of the same QL material)

If I remember correctly at 70 skill with 33QL(or something like that) coal, I used 29 to 20 drunkenness, more than this and I have too many failures.

Create 100lumps and count the 1- 40QL lumps and modify your drunkenness accordingly, 

When you reach 60 skill, electrum is not as efficient as alcohol and steel creation imo. Too many failures and too many +40 creation lumps, as if the game was trolling me.

• Like 1

Also if you really need those very low or 1 QL lumps and have bunch of medium/high ql just combine them into biggest size lumps and stack them on top of the lava, then drag them back into the bsb at whatever dmg you wanna go for

On 10/5/2022 at 2:13 PM, Dirt said:

Someone should make a calculator of this if it isn't already a thing. It seems really complicated...

It's not really useful to do so. Any reasonable priest will have a ~70ql altar and be at maximum alignment. This maxes out your bonus to +100 on every cast.

If bonus was not capped, then yeah, having a calculator would be nice. But it maxes out extremely easily.

Butcher grinds with filet.
The filet action uses a fixed action time. Usually with  grinds that require limited resources you want an action time a close to the 30 second cap as possible. In the case of filet the active time is fixed to a short time. Thus, you want to do the filet as fast as possible. 

Any hints for grinding locksmithing? So far I had used mass creation of key molds but am not sure about better ways.

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

Any hints for grinding locksmithing? So far I had used mass creation of key molds but am not sure about better ways.

Lockpicks are higher diff if you don't mind using iron and managing heat. If you're high stam, can combine with a grind wound. Smelting pot the lockpicks you don't want to keep.

• Like 1

What methods do people use to grind body strength quickly? I believe theres a few tricks out there that might not be shared so easily, I've heard of people grinding to 40 BS within a month, is that just 16 hours a day woodcutting or is there other ways to make it more efficient? for instance climbing+woodcutting at the same time gives more BS per hour but still doesn't seem too crazy, just wondering if theres something else I'm missing.

Body strength grinds.
If you're trying to target this you need to use BS skill in your difficulty versus skill setup. 

* Wood cutting is nice because both WC skill and Axes touch BS. Although, it's much harder to control difficulty. Climbing may not be feasible long term as you won't  always have steep slopes near.

* Digging you can easily tweak difficulty. Climbing on the dirt spire your digging might work well also.

* Blacksmithing is easy to tweak difficulty (the ql of what you improve). And it wouldn't be too hard to put a forge on a cave floor slope that you can also climb at the same time.

* I just noticed that butchering might be a shining star here.  If you fillet full sized meats (non Bulk binned meat) you get a bunch of skill ticks. So climb a slope while your fillet damaged meat and use your BS stat to determine damage on the meat as opposed to butchering skill.

Edited by joedobo
  • Like 1

Characteristics are 50x as slow to grind as most skills. 25x slower than mining (due to mining being a slower skill than others) and wc (due to double ticks assuming hatchet instead of saw).  Can't really do a lot to bypass this.

Difficulty for characteristics doesn't use tool ql (similar to channeling), so a player with a more long term mindset should balance their mining grind for characteristics gains.

• Like 1

With characteristics, is there something to be said to use whatever is convenient for crafting or harvesting skill training and then going back later and do whatever is easiest to train the characteristic? 

Let's say you prioritized BSTR during mining.  For that you'd need to:

about 20 to 30 is rock or iron

about 30 to 40 is tin

...go to the wiki mining page, add 20 to difficulty and this should about equal BSTR skill.

All the time doing this you'll need a bunch of picks at different QL to lower mining skill to something close to BSTR. You'd benefit from many picks even if you weren't targeting BSTR. The big difference, when you only focused on mining, is that you could use almost any vein. I think one could mine silver at 35 mining with a 95 ql pick. This is the disadvantage of STAT grinds with skills that are harder to control difficulty. With enough exploration one would find plenty of vein variety to use. But I could build a dirt spire to dig on in magnitudes of less time. 

Note for climbing skill, I believe difficulty is slope steepness less two times climb skill.  steepness - climb-skill * 2 = difficulty.

I'm confident WU code is still right here. MovementScheme.move(). it's a little more complicated but as long as slope exceeds 23, toon has moved in elevation, and stamina is not nearly empty it should be close.

Okay so I'm trying to get my sawing skill to keep up with my wood cutting skill because I want higher ql planks. I can pop out 85 ql logs but with a sawing of 36 I get some 85 ql but not a lot. Wondering if there is a magical way to skill up sawing other than sawing planks thanks all

3 minutes ago, puncher said:

Okay so I'm trying to get my sawing skill to keep up with my wood cutting skill because I want higher ql planks. I can pop out 85 ql logs but with a sawing of 36 I get some 85 ql but not a lot. Wondering if there is a magical way to skill up sawing other than sawing planks thanks all

cut down trees with a low ql saw

saw skill does very little for plank ql it's mainly in tool ql and carpentry just fyi

Okay so s a w skill is just like pick skill for Speed reduction at which point you get whatever max speed is 2 seconds 2.5 seconds. Okay I'll just end my stuff up to 95 I have 91 carp see if that works better for me thank you

Edited by puncher

Is pruning on the grinding tool the same difficulty check as picking sprouts? I seem to be getting quite different skillgain tick % with a given sickle QL

Edited by Derp

8 hours ago, Derp said:

Is pruning on the grinding tool the same difficulty check as picking sprouts? I seem to be getting quite different skillgain tick % with a given sickle QL

picking sprouts is 1 difficulty

I've made a thread about grinding Arch and Restoration:

Edited by Muse

Can someone help a poor noob to fact check what I'm doing please?

[13:42:30] Ropemaking increased by 0.0196 to 20.1012

Fish keep net : 38.63ql

Sweet spot: 20.10*0.77+23 = 38.47

I've tested to see if I'm in the zone already and just didn't realise - same gains on an 18ql. No double sized ticks - am i doing it wrong?  Do i need to just go higher?