Oblivionnreaver

grindin everything

On 7/10/2020 at 4:08 PM, Oblivionnreaver said:

Prayer - Praying on favoured tiles or 1ql altar all the way, prayer has super low diff, it's easier to grind as non-priest than it is priest due to faith bonus actually negatively impacting your skill tick chance so being 1 faith will help a lot weirdly enough.

Is this still correct? Someone told me that after the last changes skill gain on higher faith is actually better.
Or is it that skill gain at higher levels is indeed a little better after the changes, but for the best possible skill gain 1 faith is still the way to go?

Have to skill up 2 alts 😉 

23 minutes ago, Taranis said:

Is this still correct? Someone told me that after the last changes skill gain on higher faith is actually better.
Or is it that skill gain at higher levels is indeed a little better after the changes, but for the best possible skill gain 1 faith is still the way to go?

Have to skill up 2 alts 😉 

no clue, i don't really play wurm anymore and it's been changed since i wrote the guide, patch notes say higher faith should be better though

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 1

updated channelling/prayer/shield to the more efficient ways

• Like 3

I've had this bookmarked for nearly a year now and have referred to it more time than I care to admit, so thank you for that.

Any hints for alchemy/natural substances, or did I miss it? My approach is combining low ql animal parts, mixing with herbs etc. To my knowledge, power of the cover determines difficulty, yet I do not know how it scales with skill level. CoCing animal parts might help (is that true?), and it could be useful to combine a coc'd one with one left in a crate/bsb off deed so that there always remains an unprocessible rest (that true too?). 

Edited by Ekcin
typo

Any help on best way to level up Long bow?

Edited by Lemerte

On 4/18/2021 at 6:22 AM, Ekcin said:

To my knowledge, power of the cover determines difficulty, yet I do not know how it scales with skill level

iirc, activated item is the tool ql, and 1-10 diff low ql will get you to 60, sub10ql on 20-25 diff will get you to 100 just fine

3 hours ago, Lemerte said:

Any help on best way to level up Long bow?

Get it up to max on an archery target first then just kill mobs endlessly. Long bow skill does basically nothing, archery is your accuracy/damage/all that fancy stuff so dont worry about the small/med/long bow skills

• Like 2

On 4/17/2021 at 3:22 PM, Ekcin said:

Any hints for alchemy/natural substances, or did I miss it? My approach is combining low ql animal parts, mixing with herbs etc. To my knowledge, power of the cover determines difficulty, yet I do not know how it scales with skill level. CoCing animal parts might help (is that true?), and it could be useful to combine a coc'd one with one left in a crate/bsb off deed so that there always remains an unprocessible rest (that true too?). 

Try playing around with the liquids that change tiles, seems to be a good way to grind nat subs. Just make a small amount each time.

• Like 2

Nat Sub:

15 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

iirc, activated item is the tool ql, and 1-10 diff low ql will get you to 60, sub10ql on 20-25 diff will get you to 100 just fine

Thanks a lot, understood. Care to include it in the guide? (just asking)

12 hours ago, necroe said:

Try playing around with the liquids that change tiles, seems to be a good way to grind nat subs. Just make a small amount each time.

Great idea, shall try it.

16 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Get it up to max on an archery target first then just kill mobs endlessly. Long bow skill does basically nothing, archery is your accuracy/damage/all that fancy stuff so dont worry about the small/med/long bow skills

Thanks for the help...

Anybody willing to share how to grind Ship Building from 83 to 90 or even 100, or just imping small tackles or oars is the way to go all the way to 100? 

Added a section for rare spamming and rare imping as a few people have requested it.

On 5/3/2021 at 3:17 PM, Lemerte said:

Anybody willing to share how to grind Ship Building from 83 to 90 or even 100, or just imping small tackles or oars is the way to go all the way to 100? 

bit late but tackles use the least log so if you don't have many high ql logs use them, otherwise imp a knarr or sailboat because they'd be the most useful rares.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 5:50 PM, Oblivionnreaver said:

Shearing works like pruning, as your skill goes up the difficulty goes up, but age is also a factor.

scissor ql equal to skill gives 46% skillgain rate the whole way up to 100 for a venerable sheep, and 51% for an aged. 20 above skill (capping at 90ql) with a venerable sheep gives 51% skillgain for the majority of it, and falls off at 90+. if you're looking to grind to 50 for breeding a 50ql scissors will give 47% skillgain at 1 skill, 51% at 20ish and is 47%+ all the way to 50.

Is grooming brush QL similar, or is it just 1 ql by the time you get to 40 or 50?

14 minutes ago, LionIX said:

Is grooming brush QL similar, or is it just 1 ql by the time you get to 40 or 50?

IIRC, grooming difficulty is equal to the animals CR, which is  <5 for most passive mobs, 6 for a horse and 9 for a hell horse. This means for horses (and basically any other domestic animal), you'd want a 20ql brush until about 65 skill, then burn it down to 1ql, use that until 80, and at that point you'd either enjoy diminishing skill tick rate or use bison (18 cr). Shearing is much better for grinding however, it's around double the skillgain/hour last i checked.

• Like 1

Did a little test on beverage making.

Start beverage skill: 12.20

Bonusses: sleep bonus, beverage food affinity, vynora +10%

Test 1: making 100 spearmint tea

Used: regular ovens and pottery bowls, chopped mint
Skill gain: 2.32 (12.20-14.52)
Time: 5min of chopping, 15 min of panfilling ?

Pros: with a good setup of planter racks you can get a few 1000 of mint in a couple of days on one tile, very little sleepbonus used

Cons: need a good setup, ovens, pottery bowls, panfilling

Test 2: making 100 strawberry juice

Used: rare oak fruit press, 90ql, 90botd, stamina under 30% (climbing on)

Skill gain: 3.15 (14.52-17.67)

Time: 25 min

Pros: less painfull

Cons: farming for strawberries, far more sleepbonus used

Conclusion: Test 2 was a clear winner, could be the 90botd?

Personal preference:
Knowing the pain of the panfilling grind (90+ hfc) I strongly prefer the second method. 

Hope someone finds it useful. Cheers

Edited by chefpeewe

On 6/4/2021 at 10:44 PM, chefpeewe said:

Did a little test on beverage making.

Start beverage skill: 12.20

Bonusses: sleep bonus, beverage food affinity, vynora +10%

Test 1: making 100 spearmint tea

Used: regular ovens and pottery bowls, chopped mint
Skill gain: 2.32 (12.20-14.52)
Time: 5min of chopping, 15 min of panfilling ?

Pros: with a good setup of planter racks you can get a few 1000 of mint in a couple of days on one tile, very little sleepbonus used

Cons: need a good setup, ovens, pottery bowls, panfilling

Test 2: making 100 strawberry juice

Used: rare oak fruit press, 90ql, 90botd, stamina under 30% (climbing on)

Skill gain: 3.15 (14.52-17.67)

Time: 25 min

Pros: less painfull

Cons: farming for strawberries, far more sleepbonus used

Conclusion: Test 2 was a clear winner, could be the 90botd?

Personal preference:
Knowing the pain of the panfilling grind (90+ hfc) I strongly prefer the second method. 

Hope someone finds it useful. Cheers

The difficulty of spearmint tea is probably too high at your skill. Try starting with herb teas or keep juicing for a while.

Edited by Arno
  • Like 1

Is aggressive fighting skilled in the same way as weapon skills?

7 hours ago, Arno said:

The difficulty of spearmint tea is probably too high at your skill. Try starting with herb teas or keep juicing for a while.

that's exactly it, juice is bugger all difficulty compared to the tea so the test is really not accurate at all.

As to beverages skill, pressing fennel oil seems to work quite well even at somewhat higher skill: [23:08:38] Beverages increased by 0,0003 to 89,0000 - with SB and 94 coc on a ql 28 fruit press (still lowering ql, to find out whether it matters. At least it did not harm so far). Progress per 100 fennel pressed at that level was 0.017509.

Fennel plant is easily grown in planter racks, must be crushed before pressing. I just let the oil overflow right now.

Is a good addition to peppermint tea with its good gain but tedious preparation and processing (chopping herbs, filling water, filling herbs into bowls, eat affi food, light ovens, switch on SB, get drunk .. empty bowls). My 270 bowls give me 0.45 .. 0.50 skill gain ca. per session at the moment (.0036 skill per beverages tick).

Edited by Ekcin
text formatting, data added
  • Like 2

question about channeling, frozen neck wound: how to apply such wound? I tried in a spar with my priest to aim upper left and right, and head, but only hit head, face, torso, and arms. Which weapon should be used best to inflict a worsening wound (I assume only that one can be frozen)?

Edit: And is there a way to prevent saccing removing the wound? (Don't think there is)

Edited by Ekcin

Staff is best since cuts can deteriorate even when stable, but really anything that deals a bruise is what you want.

You want to aim high for the head, it can take a long time before you get a neck wound, sometimes it's super fast.

Only way to get around saccing healing the wound is to sacc on a linked battery alt.

• Like 1

Hello there, i've used this thread as a guideline many times recently, realising epic works different.
I guess my question is, does all of this apply to Epic? Is WoA bad on every tool on epic? do i do 1 ql for harvesting tools, (did woodcutting to 70 with 1 ql but no idea if its was efficient).

Thanks!

epic is just success = skillgain. for the most part you just want low diff high ql tools (as long as the tool ql doesn't drop action speed too much, but you can use grinding wounds to counter act that). can't really speak on anything specific because i haven't grinded anything on epic for years now

• Like 1

Ah i see, i suppose ill just use high ql stuff then, at least makes sure i get good wood hah.

Oh also, is it bad idea to have WoA on skilling tools on epic? I guess yes?

Thanks for the reply, cheers!

So, about butchering:

How do you lava thousands of meat at the same time without having tens of lava tiles?

I have one

Edited by Borstaskor