Oblivionnreaver

grindin everything

It might (or might not!) work similar to farming, where there are five possible results from tending, from "failure" to "too easy/no skill".   Sometimes seems possible to learn more from mistakes than from doing something "riskfree, "  though I think you never or rarely gain skill if it is too far above your abilities.   

So sweet spot usually is "failing sometimes, but not too much and not too little".

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

8 minutes ago, Antony said:

WoA on tools for imping sweetspot? I'm presuming not.

You can if you want, no benefit to it though

Sorry, I'm using a translator.

What is the bonus   in channeling  grindin ? And what debuffs the link entails ?
CABs10YG09c.jpg

2 hours ago, FreeLikeTheWind said:

Sorry, I'm using a translator.

What is the bonus   in channeling  grindin ? And what debuffs the link entails ?
CABs10YG09c.jpg

It could be Faith Bonus from Altars

When grinding animal husbandry is it better to use 1ql scissors for shearing or high quality?

1 minute ago, Sindusk said:

When grinding animal husbandry is it better to use 1ql scissors for shearing or high quality?

Shearing works like pruning, as your skill goes up the difficulty goes up, but age is also a factor.

scissor ql equal to skill gives 46% skillgain rate the whole way up to 100 for a venerable sheep, and 51% for an aged. 20 above skill (capping at 90ql) with a venerable sheep gives 51% skillgain for the majority of it, and falls off at 90+. if you're looking to grind to 50 for breeding a 50ql scissors will give 47% skillgain at 1 skill, 51% at 20ish and is 47%+ all the way to 50.

On 10/6/2020 at 4:38 AM, FreeLikeTheWind said:

read tigro's comment lower in the thread to figure out bonus

Each link adds +3 to diff, and they share favor they regenerate past 20.

Edited by Oblivionnreaver

does wearing no armor apply the 30% bonus after or before adding them together up to 70 (i.e can it be effectively above 70 if wearing no armor)

10 minutes ago, RainRain said:

does wearing no armor apply the 30% bonus after or before adding them together up to 70 (i.e can it be effectively above 70 if wearing no armor)

before, hard capped to 70

@OblivionnreaverShuld the Prayer part of your guid not better hint to the praying on a tile outside of your Gods domain past 20 would give better results? it looks like the difficulty of it is highter then praying on a alter. Well be drunk help to but you get to often sober thanks to praying so not relayable to use in my opinion without watching the log constatnly and have a loot of booze on your hand.

12 minutes ago, AceRifle said:

Whats the best way to grind wep smithing?

Depends. Wood spears are technically the best due to no tempering increasing skillgain/hour, but if you're on the new freedom servers imping things rare and selling them, and using the money to buy sleep powder will probably be more effective, so you might be better off imping things that are low weight but decent value rare like butchering and carving knives.

On 10/7/2020 at 8:00 PM, Radircs said:

huld the Prayer part of your guid not better hint to the praying on a tile outside of your Gods domain past 20 would give better results?

havent gotten around to updating it but yeah it should

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 10:08 AM, Oblivionnreaver said:

Butchering
For butchering the animal, diff for meat is parts already butchered x 3, so the first one butchered is 0 diff, the next is 3 diff, one after that 6 diff, and so forth.

It is probably just me, but I don't seem to understand this part for butchering. I'm struggling to get much skill gain. I'm at 38 skill and I can fillet 30 items in a row and get 1-2 skill gains. Am I missing something?

16 minutes ago, gnomegates said:

It is probably just me, but I don't seem to understand this part for butchering. I'm struggling to get much skill gain. I'm at 38 skill and I can fillet 30 items in a row and get 1-2 skill gains. Am I missing something?

That is for butchering corpses, fileting is the part after that. Damage on meat = diff. Sounds like your knife is way too high ql.

3 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

That is for butchering corpses, fileting is the part after that. Damage on meat = diff. Sounds like your knife is way too high ql.

Ahh okies, thank you!

On 10/6/2020 at 12:54 AM, Oblivionnreaver said:

Bonus is the following things

Altar influence = 1 bonus per power (standing on 50ql altar = 50 power/50 bonus)

Alignment / 2, so 100 alignment = 50 bonus

faith above 90 = 1 per faith, so 100 faith = 10 bonus

Village enchant bonus = the % is added to bonus

Add all of these together, the highest is 70 so if it's above 70 just use 70.

@OblivionnreaverIs the armour bonus/malus additive or multiplicative? So for example no altar influence, 100 alignment, and 100 faith and idk 10% vill bonus. So that would be 70. So if one wears a plate armour is the bonus 70-30 or 70*0,7?

and does the faith above 90 bonus only counts if you are in your faith zone?

Edited by Ilovemagranon

@OblivionnreaverWeponskill difficulty check is the same as your weaponskill if I remember right and the amount then is based on the dmg. This is why you don´t get parrent skill so mutch anymore after certint points since the gain check ther is realy hard (A 40 partenskill would roll agaisnt 90 difficulty thanks the sub Weaponskill later on). but waht is with spacial moves? They have a fix difficulty. Is propably bad to fight so long that you see spacial moves for the specific weponskill but for the parentskill this could be the saving grace to rise it later one in a some waht possible way.

I noticed this part "Ropemaking - imp fish keep net/net trap. fish one is easier to make, both use .5kg string to imp."

It could be edited to mention they use less string if you dont combine the strings as it uses then 0.2kg string.

And thanks alot for the massive guide!

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 12:54 AM, Oblivionnreaver said:

Bonus is the following things

Altar influence = 1 bonus per power (standing on 50ql altar = 50 power/50 bonus)

Alignment / 2, so 100 alignment = 50 bonus

faith above 90 = 1 per faith, so 100 faith = 10 bonus

Village enchant bonus = the % is added to bonus

Add all of these together, the highest is 70 so if it's above 70 just use 70.

I believe your statement about the bonus is flawed/incorrect.

Going by the latest Wurm Unlimited code and assuming we're talking about a religious spell-cast with the target being an item (Spell.run(Creature performer, Item target, float counter)) the routine behind the bonus is the following:

First the bonus is initially set as:

bonus = Math.abs(performer.getAlignment()) - 49.0f;

So not Alignment / 2 but rather the absolute(value) minus 49, it is almost identical for 100 alignment (51 vs the 50 you mentioned) but very different for lower values, for example 10 alignment would equal to -39 bonus.

Next it checks if the player is a champion and has to move into a different kingdom influence.

If this is the case it will reduce the bonus by 50 while also increasing the difficulty of the spell by 20.

If this is not the case it will check the material of the target item and if it is made of "crystal" (material: 52) or "diamond" (material: 54) but not a Gem it will add +100 to the bonus.

After this is done it looks up the village of the player and if present adds the village enchant bonus onto it (doesn't matter if the player is on-deed or not)

Only at this point the armor comes into place, first the game checks if the bonus so far is bigger than 0.0 and if it is multiplies the bonus with it.

if (bonus > 0.0f) {
    bonus *= 1.0f + performer.getArmourLimitingFactor();
}

So if you have -30% spell/archery the bonus would be multiplied with 0.7:

bonus = bonus * ( 1 + (-0.3) )

Important to point out here is that if your bonus at this point is <= 0.0, then your armor penalty/bonus will be ignored.

After this is done the bonus is then added together with the "Faith bonus" of the player which can be found in your "Spell effects" window (HUD Settings: Spell effects)

It is calculated as following for non-champions:

If the player has no deity:

faith-bonus = 0

If the player has a deity and is standing in the influence radius of an altar with the same deity:

faith-bonus = 5

+ 10 if the player has more than 30 faith

+ every point above 90 faith

+ 0.5 for every full altar strength on the tile you're standing on (Strength = Surface: EffectiveAltarQL - Max(DistanceX, DistanceY), Mine: EffectiveAltarQL / 2 - Max(DistanceX, DistanceY))

If the player has a deity and is standing in the influence radius of a different-god altar with strength >= 1.0

faith-bonus = 0

If the player has a deity and is not standing in the influence radius of an altar or is standing in the influence radius of a different-god altar with strength < 1.0 

faith-bonus with <90 faith = 0

faith-bonus with >=90 faith = 5 + every point above 90 faith

For champion players the faith-bonus is simply 0 inside their own kingdom influence or 50 outside.

Finally after the bonus and the faith-bonus are added together it does one last multiplication if the target item has "increase the chance of successfully enchanting the item" runes attached.

The rune effects are first added together and then multiplied with the bonus, so a +10% and a +5% rune would increase the final bonus by another 15%.

However, as mentioned by Oblivionreaver, the bonus has a max cap of 70.

Edited by Tigrosaur
Changed the wording of zone-bonus (name in the code) to faith-bonus (name shown to players in the client) and added the info about the final value being shown in the spell effects window so you don't have to calculate it for yourself
  • Like 3

Interesting stuff, once i learnt that bonus has diminishing returns past 80ish channeling i didn't really look into how its calculated as it seemed pointless, i'll update the guide sometime lol

Animal Husbandry: 
Grooming, start with 30ql brush and quickly go down to 1ql at about 25AH skill, no testing or method on this just experience. Longer timer = larger but time proportional skill tick.

Shearing: You get skill gain form any produced wool with QL above your skill level. So increasing the scissors QL as your skill goes up but maintain it low to keep the difficulty high. 
Keep the percent of wool coming out above your skill at 60% to 70%? 

Feel free to rewrite or adjust^  not sure on the optimal success percent. shearing skillgain from + your skill is 100% correct tho.

Edited by Omar

On 7/10/2020 at 4:08 PM, Oblivionnreaver said:

Climbing - make a drop shaft in a mine, climb up it until you run out of stam and fall down, climb up again (no fall damage in caves). Chest wounds reduce effective climbing skill which can make it easier to grind.

I'am not sure but isn't climbing gains stopped after 10 minutes or so for some time?

6 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

I'am not sure but isn't climbing gains stopped after 10 minutes or so for some time?

Dropshafts seem to work for long time - but don't use goat shape as it will remove the skillgain completely

With climbing make multiple drops shaft tiles in a row. Not sure it matters how many as long as it's more then one. Then climb at a diagonal so your character is getting skill ticks on different tiles.